Seattle Kraken popularity vs other sports Teams in Seattle

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
Even Kraken has not playing any game yet, what people thinks they popularity so far.

if NBA comes back to town, what happens then to Kraken? Can they overtake 2 place in city after Seahawks?

I watched the Kraken name reveal day in back July. Kraken is a great name for the team.

greetings from Finland for all hockey fans in Seattle!

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
There is a lot of sports in the region but Seattle area can really follow a winner (Seahawks, Sounders, women's sports) and distance them bad teams (Mariners). Kraken should be a solid tier 2 team in the city & region notably filling the winter sports major league void. NFL Seahawks are the sports darling for most of the past 2 decades. When Mariners have been good they are the toast of the town but limited success has stunted them. MLS Sounders have had huge sustained success but we have not seen a down period to see low lights for the team. If NBA comes back, it will be in tier 2 or 3 - There are a lot of people who want the Sonics back but there are also a lot of people who are done with the NBA.

Tier 1: Seahawks
Tier 2: Sounders, Kraken
Tier 3: UW Huskies, Mariners
Tier 4: Seattle Storm, WSU Cougars, Gonzaga, OL Reign
Tier 5: WHL Thunderbirds, WHL Silvertips, AAA Rainers

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think it will come down to how good the team ends up being. If they're consistently making the playoffs and considered cup contenders, they'll probably end up being right under the Seahawks in popularity (I don't think they'll ever overtake the Seahawks for #1). If they're missing the playoffs or field a boring team to watch, they're going to end up being like the Mariners, who are largely forgotten and not discussed unless you're a huge baseball fan.

If/when the NBA/Sonics return, it'll be hard for the Kraken to beat them in popularity. Again, if they're good and winning, I could see the NHL and NBA teams being about equal.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
As long as your franchise names its stadium the “Krak House”? Your franchise will be the most wealthy in the league, and extremely popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There is a lot of sports in the region but Seattle area can really follow a winner (Seahawks, Sounders, women's sports) and distance them bad teams (Mariners). Kraken should be a solid tier 2 team in the city & region notably filling the winter sports major league void. NFL Seahawks are the sports darling for most of the past 2 decades. When Mariners have been good they are the toast of the town but limited success has stunted them. MLS Sounders have had huge sustained success but we have not seen a down period to see low lights for the team. If NBA comes back, it will be in tier 2 or 3 - There are a lot of people who want the Sonics back but there are also a lot of people who are done with the NBA.

Tier 1: Seahawks
Tier 2: Sounders, Kraken
Tier 3: UW Huskies, Mariners
Tier 4: Seattle Storm, WSU Cougars, Gonzaga, OL Reign
Tier 5: WHL Thunderbirds, WHL Silvertips, AAA Rainers

I agree with the list for most of the part. I would move the Huskies up a tier though. I think the Sounders are a borderline Tier 2 team which would probably get pushed down to tier 3 if the NBA comes back to Seattle and the Kraken have any kind of success.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Seattle loves winners and eschews losers. If the Kraken are good the first few years the fanbase will be fanatical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad