Speculation: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Can you protect 5 D? I feel like it’s either 7 forwards 3 D or 4 forwards 4 D.

It's 8 skaters if you don't do the 7f route, which is why I've been saying that we stand to lose Cirelli if they choose to protect our young defense.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Just a scenario I've had in the back of my head for awhile now.

Personally, I see a whole lot of bribery like last expansion draft. Johnson or Killorn. I can see TJ, as he's from Spokane. They gave up a package of bribery picks (sorry, concessions) to "Please take Garrison". A 2nd that draft year, Pitt's 2018 4th rd pick, and the rights to Gusev. For goofs I'm throwing in all the other "concession" packages from the other teams for comparison

In return for agreeing not to select certain unprotected players, the Golden Knights were granted concessions by other franchises.
  • The Buffalo Sabres traded their sixth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting William Carrier.
  • The Florida Panthers traded Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas selecting Jonathan Marchessault and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
  • The Carolina Hurricanes traded Boston's fifth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft (previously acquired) in exchange for Vegas selecting Connor Brickley.
  • The Winnipeg Jets traded their first-round pick (13th overall) in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft and a third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting Chris Thorburn and Columbus' first-round pick (24th overall) in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft (previously acquired by Vegas).
  • The Tampa Bay Lightning traded their second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, Pittsburgh's fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft (previously acquired) and Nikita Gusev in exchange for Vegas selecting Jason Garrison.
  • The New York Islanders traded their first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, Mikhail Grabovski and Jake Bischoff in exchange for Vegas selecting Jean-Francois Berube.
  • The Anaheim Ducks traded Shea Theodore in exchange for Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner.
  • The Minnesota Wild traded Alex Tuch in exchange for Vegas selecting Erik Haula and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 or 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
  • The Columbus Blue Jackets traded their first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and David Clarkson in exchange for Vegas selecting William Karlsson.
  • The Pittsburgh Penguins traded their second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting Marc-Andre Fleury.
Vegas Expansion Draft

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I mean, JBB has done a fair bit to impress me thus far but has a ways to go yet before I start inserting f's or F's in to his initials every time I post. But that VAN first. That's an impressive asset thus far. I mean he could (thanks to a few of you to help me come around to this):

* Throw in our 1st 2020 or 2021 in to entice someone to take Callahan's contract, if it comes to that and they need it off the books now
* Keep it, and one of 2020 or 2021 they have 2 first round picks
* Use as a concession, or part of one, to Seattle.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I mean, JBB has done a fair bit to impress me thus far but has a ways to go yet before I start inserting f's or F's in to his initials every time I post. But that VAN first. That's an impressive asset thus far. I mean he could (thanks to a few of you to help me come around to this):

* Throw in our 1st 2020 or 2021 in to entice someone to take Callahan's contract, if it comes to that and they need it off the books now
* Keep it, and one of 2020 or 2021 they have 2 first round picks
* Use as a concession, or part of one, to Seattle.

I've noticed this with a few posts, how has the cost of someone taking on Callahan's contract gone up since the LTIR announcement? I would think it drops the cost to a 4th/5th rounder now, since his salary will be covered with insurance.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I've noticed this with a few posts, how has the cost of someone taking on Callahan's contract gone up since the LTIR announcement? I would think it drops the cost to a 4th/5th rounder now, since his salary will be covered with insurance.
It should because Ottawa can use him to get to the salary cap flow and not pay him his full salary

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It should because Ottawa can use him to get to the salary cap flow and not pay him his full salary

You still have to pay him money, just not as much as if he was healthy. Didn't you say it was 80% insured? That would put them on the hook for 940k. Ottawa isn't doing that for a 5th. They do have Condon who is making 3mil with a 2.4 caphit. He's a buyout candidate for them which would cost them 2mil cash. Have them retain 30% on him for Callahan. They then pay 940k + 900k (30% of 3mil) 1.84 which is less than the 2mil to buyout Condon. For us we get Condon at 1.68 caphit, we send him to Syracuse to be the #1, if healthy, and carry just over 700k caphit so we free up 5mil on the cap to pay 160k in cash.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You still have to pay him money, just not as much as if he was healthy. Didn't you say it was 80% insured? That would put them on the hook for 940k. Ottawa isn't doing that for a 5th. They do have Condon who is making 3mil with a 2.4 caphit. He's a buyout candidate for them which would cost them 2mil cash. Have them retain 30% on him for Callahan. They then pay 940k + 900k (30% of 3mil) 1.84 which is less than the 2mil to buyout Condon. For us we get Condon at 1.68 caphit, we send him to Syracuse to be the #1, if healthy, and carry just over 700k caphit so we free up 5mil on the cap to pay 160k in cash.
They have to spend like 12 million to get to the salary floor

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Exactly, so not sure why I'm hearing a 1st as the asking price to pick him up :squint:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They have to spend like 12 million to get to the salary floor
That's easy to do without taking on Callahan. They only have a 16 man roster right now, all they gotta do is sign 6 guys at 2mil each and they're fine. They still got White and Ceci to sign so those two alone are a big chunk of the 12. I'm sure they would take the Callahan contract but they won't take it for free, they'll still want an asset attached or they're look elsewhere for someone willing to dump salary. But they also want to shed actual cash which is why the Condon swap would make more sense than a pick which is them adding cash only.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That's easy to do without taking on Callahan. They only have a 16 man roster right now, all they gotta do is sign 6 guys at 2mil each and they're fine. They still got White and Ceci to sign so those two alone are a big chunk of the 12. I'm sure they would take the Callahan contract but they won't take it for free, they'll still want an asset attached or they're look elsewhere for someone willing to dump salary. But they also want to shed actual cash which is why the Condon swap would make more sense than a pick which is them adding cash only.
For sure they would want a 3rd rounder at least maybe a second rounder

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think it comes down to how Serg will be by then. If he's starting to shine and take on more minutes then we gotta protect him, we also can't loose Foote either so I think it sadly comes down to Cirelli, unless Tampa can trade some picks to "protect" him.

Its a good problem to have all this depth but these pain in the ass expansion drafts suck

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I’d do the 4 forwards and 4 defenseman protection and 1 goalie of course

Stamkos, Kucherov, point and Cirelli

Hedman, foote, sergachev and cernak

Vasilevskiy

Reactions: Kusic

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it would be best to protect the defense as well as we can

Stamkos (NMC)
Kucherov (NMC)
Point
Palat

Hedman (NMC)
McDonagh
Karlsson -it's gonna happen folks, trust SFY on this one
Sergachev

Vasilevskiy

I'm pretty sure a potential Seattle expansion team would take Johnson if given the chance.

LOL this guy said to protect Palat? R u dense m8?

Reactions: LightningStrikes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have a simple answer: just give Seattle an asset to take a specific player like we did with VGK. It was the right thing to do but for some reason Yzerman felt like he needed to give up Gusev

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I have a simple answer: just give Seattle an asset to take a specific player like we did with VGK. It was the right thing to do but for some reason Yzerman felt like he needed to give up Gusev

They may be ok with taking TJ or Killorn if we give them a 1st, because then they can flip one of those two for more assets.

I don't want to lose a guy like that, but it is probably the only way they don't take McDonagh or Cirelli.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They may be ok with taking TJ or Killorn if we give them a 1st, because then they can flip one of those two for more assets.

I don't want to lose a guy like that, but it is probably the only way they don't take McDonagh or Cirelli.

Well the long story short is if we want to protect McDonagh and Cirelli we will. I don't think it's gonna take that much (a 1st) to convince them to take a guy like Killer or Johnson because they are good players in their own right. However, it may not even come to that. The only one I'm really concerned about is Sergachev and his progress is probably going to determine whether or not we go with 8 skaters or the 7-3-1 like last time. The light is slowly coming on for him but he needs to start taking more steps forward. If he regresses in years 3 and 4 while Cernak progresses in years 2 and 3 I cannot validate protecting him. It sucks to lose him for free but I'm not interested in keeping around players who after 250 games still don't know what they're doing at the NHL level.

It's too hard to predict our lineup so many years out but it looks like

Stamkos
Kucherov
Pavelski????
Point
Cirelli

And any 2 of Johnson, Gourde, Killorn.... Gourde is my odd man out

Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak

Vasy

But if Sergachev is everything we hope he is then we are gonna be forking over a hell of a lot for Seattle to take a certain player -which is complete nonsense.

I am on record of saying these expansion rules are far too lenient for Seattle. I'm pretty sure in '92 the expansion rules were 10 forwards 5 defensemen and 2 goaltenders could be protected which meant the expansion team got a bottom line forward #6 D, and a 3rd string goalie because teams would just play a guy a few games so he'd be eligible for exposure.

And yet here I am talking about how the hell do we not lose Johnson or Sergachev.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well the long story short is if we want to protect McDonagh and Cirelli we will. I don't think it's gonna take that much (a 1st) to convince them to take a guy like Killer or Johnson because they are good players in their own right. However, it may not even come to that. The only one I'm really concerned about is Sergachev and his progress is probably going to determine whether or not we go with 8 skaters or the 7-3-1 like last time. The light is slowly coming on for him but he needs to start taking more steps forward. If he regresses in years 3 and 4 while Cernak progresses in years 2 and 3 I cannot validate protecting him. It sucks to lose him for free but I'm not interested in keeping around players who after 250 games still don't know what they're doing at the NHL level.

Stamkos
Kucherov
Pavelski????
Point
Cirelli

Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak

Vasy

But if Sergachev is everything we hope he is then we are gonna be forking over a hell of a lot for Seattle to take a certain player -which is complete nonsense.

I am on record of saying these expansion rules are far too lenient for Seattle. I'm pretty sure in '92 the expansion rules were 10 forwards 5 defensemen and 2 goaltenders could be protected which meant the expansion team got a bottom line forward #6 D, and a 3rd string goalie because teams would just play a guy a few games so he'd be eligible for exposure.

And yet here I am talking about how the hell do we not lose Johnson or Sergachev.

There's no way we don't do the 8 skaters rather than 7 3 route and for the love of God they better not protect Pavelski if he signs. We will have at least 5 defenders worth protecting and I'm not sure we have more than 4 forwards worth it. Killorn should be traded long before the draft so he's not an issue. Palat and Johnson should be shopped especially to teams that have a forward spot available. I would then entice Seattle with a Katchouk/Volkov/Stephens/Raddysh type to take a Palat, Johnson or Gourde if they're still here.

Yzerman trading Gusev isn't a bad deal. It only looks bad because Dotchin fell off a cliff and Koekkoek didn't pan out. But we got rid of Garrison who was crap and sent to the minors by Vegas. Gusev still hasn't played an NHL game yet so we don't know what he will be in the NHL. He also will be looking for a decent contract already and we have cap issues and would probably be a cap casualty anyway.

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site

Stamkos
Kucherov
Pavelski????
Point
Cirelli

Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak

Vasy

Dude.. you do realize that Seattle & Vegas had to pay 500 million as an expansion fee as opposed to like 75 million for previous expansions !

At that cost you have to provide Seattle with some decent players LOL

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The expansion rules are fine. We just have crazy depth and thus will lose a good player. Most teams however will lose a guy they don't really care about.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I can’t find a thread on this topic, so I’m creating a new one. Who do the Lightning protect? As of now, there are 7 slam dunks:

Heddy, Cernek, Serge
Pointe, Kuch, Stammer, Cirelli

If the Lightning decide to keep McDonough, that would be it. 8 skaters.

Or the Lightning could protect 3 more forwards instead. The two that come to mind are Palat and Joseph if he keeps up the strong play given the contract. Perhaps Killer too if he has read value.

Not sure if Foote is available to Seattle, but I don’t see the Lightning going in that direction. Not saying he won’t be useful but he is expendable.

Perhaps the Lightning will just pay the freight for Seattle to take TJ.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I see them probably doing something similar to what they did last time. Pay to have them take the guy you want to have them take. Then again as long as we have Hedman, Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, and Vasi protected anyone else can be replaced easier than those guys. Not particularly worried about it but hopefully we use it to our advantage.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I see them probably doing something similar to what they did last time. Pay to have them take the guy you want to have them take. Then again as long as we have Hedman, Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, and Vasi protected anyone else can be replaced easier than those guys. Not particularly worried about it but hopefully we use it to our advantage.
For whatever reason I didn’t list Vassy. That’s obviously a given

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is going to depend on Seattle and what Francis wants to do. Will he go for star power to be competitive right off like Vegas did or mix it up some and avoid player turnover. Right now Vegas has only 5 players left from the expansion draft. Mock drafts keep showing up Johnson fans would prefer it to be Johnson which normally means they will take Killer or Palat. They are going to get a good player reguardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad