Speculation: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm going to guess that the other half of the year that the team isn't playing Vinik makes good money from gate receipts.

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
How are we set up as of now ?
NMC wise..

We must keep -
Vasi.. Hedman, McDonough, Sergy,
Point, Stammer, Kuch at least.

If we sign any free agents it must be short and not have a no-move clause.

Thoughts..

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
I'd think you gotta let this season play out before putting Serg up there (could just as easily end up being Cernak up there instead... Celery too at F)

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We can protect 7 F and 3 D or 8 skaters. We are going to lose someone good unless we can swing a deal. Right now it looks like we could either lose Cirelli, or one of Sergachev/Cernak/Foote.

If we trade one of those guys, than Joseph would be their target. This is 2 years into the future though, who knows what will happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's too early to tell what the plan is.

Sergachev could continue to develop slowly or he could take a massive step. Plenty of forwards in the same situation.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why dont we just do what we did last time? Use it to get rid of a contract we dont want and add a sweetener? Sounds like the most likely thing to happen imo.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why dont we just do what we did last time? Use it to get rid of a contract we dont want and add a sweetener? Sounds like the most likely thing to happen imo.

Because last time the Vegas GM was open to trading, and the guys were stood to lose were Dotchin and Koekkoek, not Sergachev/Cernak/Foote.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Because last time the Vegas GM was open to trading, and the guys were stood to lose were Dotchin and Koekkoek, not Sergachev/Cernak/Foote.

Not that I dont realize the difference but Dotchin and Koekkoek were still looked at pretty highly. At least enough to want to trade Gusev to avoid them leaving. If we value Sergachev/Cernak/Foote enough, I doubt we let it happen where one of them get taken. I think we find a way to make it work. Also why wouldnt Seattle be open to doing it the same way Vegas did? They ended up with some great players because of the upper hand they had.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not that I dont realize the difference but Dotchin and Koekkoek were still looked at pretty highly. At least enough to want to trade Gusev to avoid them leaving. If we value Sergachev/Cernak/Foote enough, I doubt we let it happen where one of them get taken. I think we find a way to make it work. Also why wouldnt Seattle be open to doing it the same way Vegas did? They ended up with some great players because of the upper hand they had.

Yeah I hope Seattle is open to a trade, but I feel like if we don't position ourselves a little better, the guy we stand to lose is going to cost a metric shit ton to convince them not to take.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Posting this here so its its easier to find, if anybody needs to refer to the rules

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Reactions: Rschmitz

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Honestly right now, it all depends on the direction Seattle wants to take. They have a ringside view into how fast they can succeed but the issues with the cap that go along with it. Also depends on the ownership group and the city on how fast they want to be a playoff/competitive team.

If they go for the direct route to try to be a competitive team, we have a few people they will can choose from:

Gourde
Killorn
Palat
Johnson
Serge
Cernak
C.Foote

I feel we will go 8 + Goalie. With us protecting Kuch, Stammer, Point, Celery, Heddy, McD, Cernak, Serge, Vasy. This goes to say we don't sign a big UFA this year who might push out a defenseman or Celery.

If they decide to go the futures route:

C.Foote
Serge
Cernak
Joseph
Erne
Raddysh
Katchouk
etc...

Point is we have a metric f*** ton of prospects that could be cheap step ins to fit their needs. So many of our prospects are going to be eligible for the expansion draft, its asinine. With all the preaching Hose has done, he is highlighting a very poignant point. We have a lot of players who need a shot, or are very damn close to getting one, and we don't have space to fit them in.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I personally feel like exposing Mcdonagh is the way to go. He will be 32 and most like will have declined a bit already. Doubt Seattle would take him when they could take one of our younger forwards instead, like maybe Joseph, and get much more value.

That Mcdonagh contract will be ugly the last couple of years and I doubt they would wanna deal with it. But everyone seems to disagree with me on this so what do I know. Maybe Mcdonagh will age like fine wine.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I personally feel like exposing Mcdonagh is the way to go. He will be 32 and most like will have declined a bit already. Doubt Seattle would take him when they could take one of our younger forwards instead, like maybe Joseph, and get much more value.

That Mcdonagh contract will be ugly the last couple of years and I doubt they would wanna deal with it. But everyone seems to disagree with me on this so what do I know. Maybe Mcdonagh will age like fine wine.
I agree with exposing him. An expansion team wouldn't want his contract at 6.75 AAV for 5 more years when he's 32. Not valuable at all for a team trying to build for the future.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The thing with exposing McDonagh is that if he didn't decline by then Seattle will take him. They may not want him on their team but if he's still a really good top 4 D he has huge trade potential and they'll flip him for other pieces. Now if Sergachev looks to have passed him by then I can see it being possible but right now it makes no sense.

On offense we should have traded Killorn by then while Palat and Johnson have limited NTC that offseason so should be up for trade. If Cirelli takes another step then I can see him being a must protect but right now he looks like the piece we lose. Obviously we will try to make a trade to protect him but don't know what our prospects will look like at that time or what draft picks we'll have. I also thinks it's harder to replace legit top 4 D than a 3C. My protect 8 are:

Kucherov
Stamkos
Point
Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak
Sergachev
Foote
Vasilevskiy

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
The thing with exposing McDonagh is that if he didn't decline by then Seattle will take him. They may not want him on their team but if he's still a really good top 4 D he has huge trade potential and they'll flip him for other pieces. Now if Sergachev looks to have passed him by then I can see it being possible but right now it makes no sense.

On offense we should have traded Killorn by then while Palat and Johnson have limited NTC that offseason so should be up for trade. If Cirelli takes another step then I can see him being a must protect but right now he looks like the piece we lose. Obviously we will try to make a trade to protect him but don't know what our prospects will look like at that time or what draft picks we'll have. I also thinks it's harder to replace legit top 4 D than a 3C. My protect 8 are:

Kucherov
Stamkos
Point
Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak
Sergachev
Foote
Vasilevskiy

Can you protect 5 D? I feel like it’s either 7 forwards 3 D or 4 forwards 4 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->