Seattle emphasizing diversity in hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Once again lying>>>>>>>

I guess trying to speak some sense and speaking facts is trying to feel moral superiority.

If we agree women and people of color are just as capable then what’s the problem? Why do they need to hire only white men?

No, the problem with this debate is angry white men who doesn’t know any person of color trying to claim everything in this country is fine and dandy and that centuries of inequality and oppression has no effect on today what so ever. Which is quite frankly, insane.

Nobody has ever said they need to hire only white men. They need to hire the best for the position, regardless of race or sex. For some reason that triggers people who are for equality.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Nobody has ever said they need to hire only white men. They need to hire the best for the position, regardless of race or sex. For some reason that triggers people who are for equality.
Somehow you don’t think they can hire best people for the job if they have quotas. It says to me you don’t think there are enough women and people of color who are more than capable.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Somehow you don’t think they can hire best people for the job if they have quotas. It says to me you don’t think there are enough women and people of color who are more than capable.

When you have quotas, you're opening the door for legit discrimination. How about you just hire the best candidate period and throw this quota non-sense in the garbage?

Race, gender, sexuality, etc should have zero effect when you're hiring someone.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think hiring more diverse CEOs isn't as big of a deal as some people seem to make it (yay, the super rich are also women and black and other races, we have fixed racism everyone), but I also think that people have a reflex to get upset whenever "diversity hiring" is brought up in any kind of fashion, regardless of the method or the reasoning behind it. If the people who are getting hired are qualified for the job, what's the major issue?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
When you have quotas, you're opening the door for legit discrimination. How about you just hire the best candidate period and throw this quota non-sense in the garbage?

Race, gender, sexuality, etc should have zero effect when you're hiring someone.
Says a white man who has no problems getting opportunities.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I think that if a women or minority is better for the position than a white man they should get it. Have always felt this way. I have no issue with bringing light to companies who only hire one demographic or have racial/sexual preferences if its unnecessary for the product. What I dont think is right is removing one demographic from chances of getting a job because they think they are privileged. That is stupid and oddly becomes sexist and racist which is what the whole purpose of diversity hiring was trying to remove. It doesnt remove anything, it just gives them ability to legally be prejudiced against white men in hiring. Want to fix this?? Make the opportunity equal, not equal outcome. Meaning you have to make education better for all people. This is the thing that nobody talks about and instead is about just giving it out regardless of whether they are qualified or not. That I dont believe in one bit.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Says a white man who has no problems getting opportunities.

This is beyond stupid, where do you live? In a random 20k village or something? In most major cities I've lived in most people of all colors don't have issues finding jobs, and when they do have issues, in most cases it's not because their race, gender, or whatever. Oddly enough, in one city it was the opposite, as in minorities were the dominant in the workplace.

Perhaps it's best to keep your assumptions to yourself about me being white or not, and tone your racism down.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I think that if a women or minority is better for the position than a white man they should get it. Have always felt this way. I have no issue with bringing light to companies who only hire one demographic or have racial/sexual preferences if its unnecessary for the product. What I dont think is right is removing one demographic from chances of getting a job because they think they are privileged. That is stupid and oddly becomes sexist and racist which is what the whole purpose of diversity hiring was trying to remove. It doesnt remove anything, it just gives them ability to legally be prejudiced against white men in hiring. Want to fix this?? Make the opportunity equal, not equal outcome. Meaning you have to make education better for all people. This is the thing that nobody talks about and instead is about just giving it out regardless of whether they are qualified or not. That I dont believe in one bit.
Is there anything about Seattle's hiring practices that leads you to believe they are shutting out white men completely from consideration of work?

Does anyone here know the exact hiring practices involved or are we just assuming it is giving out jobs to minorities regardless of qualifications?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Is there anything about Seattle's hiring practices that leads you to believe they are shutting out white men completely from consideration of work?

Does anyone here know the exact hiring practices involved or are we just assuming it is giving out jobs to minorities regardless of qualifications?

Honestly, Im just speaking on the topic of diversity hires. Not about Seattle. Im sure they are being fair to all.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No. You pretty much said it. White men are getting shafted because Seattle allegedly won’t hire best qualified candidate.

Anyone who doesn't fit their quota is potentially getting passed over. If they have too many minorities and too many women then they would have to hire white men to keeps things proportionate right?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

No, but they apparently will shut down anyone if they need to fill a particular gender or race to keep the %'s proportionate. Not sure how it can be viewed as anything else.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Anyone who doesn't fit their quota is potentially getting passed over. If they have too many minorities and too many women then they would have to hire white men to keeps things proportionate right?
If we lived in a word where that was possible we wouldn’t need affirmative actions or quotas.

But we don’t live in that world . We live in the exact opposite of that.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think

"These findings confirm that conservatives, liberals, the religious and the nonreligious are each prejudiced against those with opposing views. But surprisingly, each group is about equally prejudiced. While liberals might like to think of themselves as more open-minded, they are no more tolerant of people unlike them than their conservative counterparts are."

Just something that people might want to keep in mind during any discussion regarding prejudices based on politics, gender, race, religion, etc.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If we lived in a word where that was possible we wouldn’t need affirmative actions or quotas.

But we don’t live in that world . We live in the exact opposite of that.

And a world where every organization has an appropriate proportion of genders and minorities is the utopia you are hoping for?

Do you know anything about the history of Communism and what this type of thinking lead to?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, Im just speaking on the topic of diversity hires. Not about Seattle. Im sure they are being fair to all.

How can they be if there is plan to have certain %'s as a goal. If they wanted to be fair to all, they wouldn't have any "diversity" hiring policy, one that they have gone out of their way to publicize.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
And a world where every organization has an appropriate proportion of genders and minorities is the utopia you are hoping for?

Do you know anything about the history of Communism and what this type of thinking lead to?
I didn’t realize Soviet Union and China had such racial diversity.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
No, but they apparently will shut down anyone if they need to fill a particular gender or race to keep the %'s proportionate. Not sure how it can be viewed as anything else.
Where are you getting this from?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Where are you getting this from?

It's in the OP. They will set targets of having so many women/minorities.

If this means they will try to ensure that those groups are represented or invited to be in a group of applicants but not necessarily will not hire them if they aren't the best candidate, that's fine.

If it means they will only interview certain genders or races for a job to maintain certain % goals, then they would be shutting out genders and races.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
In theory, everyone hiring the best candidate sounds great. In reality, it just doesn't happen.

People are prejudiced to hire people similar to themselves, most of the time, people don't even realize they are doing it. Think about it, you have two close to equal candidates, you are a white man. One of the candidates is a white man who loves hockey and seems like a great guy to have a beer with. The other is a minority woman that is quite shy and doesn't like sports. Who are you more likely to hire?

It's one of the reasons it is important to have minorities represented in higher levels who are much more likely to hire people similar to them than white people are. There are plenty of studies done where scientists have applied for jobs using the exact same resume only changing the names from something that sounds like it would be a white person to something that sounds like it would be a minority name and the minority received significantly less calls to come interview (I'm not going to be able to find the study but it was from being in labour economics in university).

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
In theory, everyone hiring the best candidate sounds great. In reality, it just doesn't happen.

People are prejudiced to hire people similar to themselves, most of the time, people don't even realize they are doing it. Think about it, you have two close to equal candidates, you are a white man. One of the candidates is a white man who loves hockey and seems like a great guy to have a beer with. The other is a minority woman that is quite shy and doesn't like sports. Who are you more likely to hire?

It's one of the reasons it is important to have minorities represented in higher levels who are much more likely to hire people similar to them than white people are. There are plenty of studies done where scientists have applied for jobs using the exact same resume only changing the names from something that sounds like it would be a white person to something that sounds like it would be a minority name and the minority received significantly less calls to come interview (I'm not going to be able to find the study but it was from being in labour economics in university).

I get that bias happens, but you're cherry picking quite a bit here. Let's change your scenario a bit (Assuming the person hiring is not a racist or sexist). What if the minority female was the one that liked hockey and seemed cool to hang out with while the white dude was awkward and shy? You wanna know what's funny? I've seen this exact scenario play out in real life, and it was personality bias, not race/gender. So while I get what you're trying to say, I think you're misinterpreting the bias thing here. That's not to say there are no racists or sexists out there, but remember that this goes both ways, and what you describe in your scenario is personality bias.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I get that bias happens, but you're cherry picking quite a bit here. Let's change your scenario a bit (Assuming the person hiring is not a racist or sexist). What if the minority female was the one that liked hockey and seemed cool to hang out with while the white dude was awkward and shy? You wanna know what's funny? I've seen this exact scenario play out in real life, and it was personality bias, not race/gender. So while I get what you're trying to say, I think you're misinterpreting the bias thing here. That's not to say there are no racists or sexists out there, but remember that this goes both ways, and what you describe in your scenario is personality bias.
I don't disagree with you, but it stands that someone from your own cultural background and gender is more likely to have similar interests to you (I have no data to back that up, just going off of anecdotal experience so feel free to disagree), so when one race/gender (the white man in our society) dominates the plurality of people in power, it leaks down into other positions as well, even if unintentionally. I'm not even sure it makes someone racist/sexist, it is a part of human nature to want to spend more time with someone you think you'd get along with rather than someone you wouldn't.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You didn't answer the question:

Is a world where every organization has an appropriate proportion of genders and minorities the utopia you are hoping for?
I want a world where people get equal opportunity. This isn’t happening right now and if quotas is what it takes then so be it.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I didn’t realize Soviet Union and China had such racial diversity.

For what it's worth, both are/were incredibly diverse ethnically, with the Soviet Union having upwards of 100 different nationalities. They also created their own sort of affirmative action in the 1920s, korenizatsiia, which promoted non-Russians into positions of government and power. It lasted about 15 years before being abandoned, and had several issues that aren't worth getting into here.

Reactions: Hull and Oates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad