Seattle emphasizing diversity in hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall
The Seattle region has grown in diversity, and NHL Seattle wants the same. 49 hires in organization, on way to estimated 200, and nearly half of employees are women, ~25% non-white. Internal guidelines as to %s wanted.

Along with background on a number of (key) employees

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Paywall
The Seattle region has grown in diversity, and NHL Seattle wants the same. 49 hires in organization, on way to estimated 200, and nearly half of employees are women, ~25% non-white. Internal guidelines as to %s wanted.

How about color and sex should be ignored and a pool of the best applicants should be called in and interviewed. Saying whites cant have jobs before deciding who is best with the most experience seems idiotic

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Expansion draft should be interesting, as they look at diversity first in who they claim from each team. I wonder what internal guideline % they have set?

Eh they'll take the best that is available. I wouldn't take who they are hiring to fill the front office positions as how they'll decide on who to take in the expansion draft.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
How about color and sex should be ignored and a pool of the best applicants should be called in and interviewed. Saying whites cant have jobs before deciding who is best with the most experience seems idiotic
These arent athletes.

These are office workers. Marketers and accountants.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
These arent athletes.

These are office workers. Marketers and accountants.

Andddd? Should some person that has no idea what they are doing get a job because the best person for the job is a white dude and they are not welcome?
It makes no sense and it is the exact discrimination that they are pretending to be avoiding.
Anti discrimination discrimination lol.
If your life was on the line would you want the two toughest people in the world protecting you or would you rather hire people based on color and sex and not care about actual capabilities?
Sex and color should never be looked at.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Eh they'll take the best that is available. I wouldn't take who they are hiring to fill the front office positions as how they'll decide on who to take in the expansion draft.
That's your assumption. The article implies otherwise.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That's your assumption. The article implies otherwise.

The article is about having some diversity in office jobs positions. Aka the business side of the franchise which is completely different from the actually sport side of the franchise.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeesh, the comments on the article are a bit of a minefield, not sure what's so offensive about hiring people.
For me at least it's more about the optics of hiring someone based firstly on their appearance/heritage/whatever, and only secondly on their skills, knowledge, and merit. I of course am a fan of having diverse people, views, perspectives, but I just sometimes wonder if it was meritocratic or someone else's decision not based on relevant skills.

Is that a horrible stance to take? Hoping I stayed diplomatic here. FWIW I did not read the specifics of these hiring decisions. More of just a theoretical statement.

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
Andddd? Should some person that has no idea what they are doing get a job because the best person for the job is a white dude and they are not welcome?
It makes no sense and it is the exact discrimination that they are pretending to be avoiding.
Anti discrimination discrimination lol.
If your life was on the line would you want the two toughest people in the world protecting you or would you rather hire people based on color and sex and not care about actual capabilities?
Sex and color should never be looked at.

Unfortunately it’s okay to be racist, sexist and otherwise a bigot as long as it’s against a straight white male.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Couple of reminders:

A good majority of posters here are not subscribers and comments mentioned in the article are not viewable. That is also not an invitation to post them here, as the article is behind a paywall.

Secondly, be mindful what you post here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose and BHD

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I wouldnt like that if I was a seattle fan but as someone who would get a leg up from this thing..........

Where do i send my resume? :naughty:

Reactions: ujju2 and Realgud

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

Internal guidelines as to %s wanted.

I'm a little confused since I can't read the original article. Is it seriously official Seattle policy that their workforce should reflect the population of the Seattle area as a whole? That seems absurd. Mandrycky (for example) is a Georgia native who spent the past few years in Minnesota, so why would the demographics of the Seattle area be relevant if they're hiring people from across the country, or even the world? Also, how do they even know? Is every interviewee required to identify their gender, sexual orientation, race etc during the interview? If someone of mixed-race applies, do they get counted in two separate categories?

It also assumes that each constituent group(however you slice up the humane race) has the exact same level of interest in a sport or activity as every other group. Based on my experience, this isn't true. For example, as a kid playing house league soccer in the GTA during the 1990's, the composition of my team every year didn't match the demographic make-up of my hometown. Everyone was either

A)The child of immigrants from a soccer-mad country

B)Catholic

And quite often both. Why did so few Canadian-born Protestants enroll their sons in soccer during the summer? Probably because their dads grew up playing baseball. If you were to start a rec cricket team in North America, you'd probably find a massive over-representation of people whose ancestors lived on the Indian subcontinent. Nothing wrong with that.

Are men underrepresented in the interior design industry?

Are women underrepresented in the waste removal industry?

Does anyone care? Or is it just for prestigious jobs?

So long as people of all groups(gender, sexual orientation, race, religion) can rise up the ranks in hockey without impediment due to their group membership, I don't really see why we should be concerned with fine-tuning the percentages.

There's also the issue of why certain groups are used for diversity stat-counting and not others. Is Seattle making efforts to ensure people who grew up in poverty are represented in their organization? That's probably the group against which hockey discriminates most and it cuts across all other groups.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
If that's just how it turned out naturally then neat.
If that was the planned goal before they interviewed the first person.. god what a sad sad country the USA is. They just don't get it and never will by the looks of it.

Let's make equity via discrimination and pat ourselves on the back.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
What make you think the people they hire aren't qualified for the position they are filling?

It’s not that, they clearly state only people of this color and this sex, could you imagine a headline that said ten of the new jobs in my building are reserved for whites only? Lol good god how is it any better when the whites only is replaced by something else? The whole idea that it is ok is just crazy.
The removal of people’s rights to be hired on personal skill and ability just because of the color of there skin is ok only if it’s a certain group of people...no one should be hired or not hired based on skin color ,sex, religion or any reason other than qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->