Seattle/Abbotsford

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I read something several years ago from the Kings organization when the whole west coast AHL was still just an idea. They weren't concerned about the cost of the callups in real dollars (paying for flights, etc), they were more concerned about the salary cap impact. When a player is called up, or sent down, he starts counting against the NHL salary cap from the time they initiate the callup, not from when he actually joins the team. Same thing going down, in reverse, he counts on the cap until he returns to the AHL team. At that time Philly had their AHL team in the same parking lot as the NHL team. They were saving salary cap dollars vs LA who was paying at least two extra days of salary, or more if there was a delayed flight or complicated travel. The Kings had a few years where the were leading the league in games lost to injury. When you add that the cap dollars wasted across every player move it was enough impact on the cap to make it worth spending more real dollars to fix it.
This. Exactly this.

It's all about the salary cap...and that's why the Seattle AHL team won't be in Manchester, NH.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
Wishful thinking on your part, but it's probably not happening.

If Manchester gets another team, about 99% certain it will be an ECHL team. There really aren't any AHL teams primed to move, and those that are, are likely going closer to their NHL affiliates for salary cap reasons.
Binghamton or bellivelle most likely in my opionion

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
Devils are staying in Binghamton. Senators are staying in Belleville. If you are saying this with the same degree of seriousness that you said that AHL Seattle would be in Manchester, then I think you should do some reassessment.
joking about the Seattle nhl but Belleville is a small but remains best chance for manchester getting ahl back

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
joking about the Seattle nhl but Belleville is a small but remains best chance for manchester getting ahl back

They don't have a chance. Accept that. New England was a stronghold 15 years ago, Lowell, Springfield, Albany, Hartford, Worcester, Manchester, Providence, Portland all had teams. Those days are over. The previous power region was Atlantic Canada, with St. John's, Saint John, Cape Breton, Halifax, Fredricton, Moncton, and PEI all having teams. Markets evolve or die, because the league won't return.

Get over the "we deserve the AHL" schtick. It's not coming back, you're holding on to false hope. There's a difference between "there's a chance" and "no chance." Seattle has clearly prioritized Palm Springs and Boise. Manchester isn't on the radar. It's not even near the radar. Manchester is beneath the carpet that is under the table that's holding up the radar. Ownership screwed the fan base over, and you have my sympathies. But the sooner you join Glenn Falls, Worcester, Portland, and St. John's and accept the ECHL, the happier you will be. Or you'll be left with what you have now: no hockey.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
They don't have a chance. Accept that. New England was a stronghold 15 years ago, Lowell, Springfield, Albany, Hartford, Worcester, Manchester, Providence, Portland all had teams. Those days are over. The previous power region was Atlantic Canada, with St. John's, Saint John, Cape Breton, Halifax, Fredricton, Moncton, and PEI all having teams. Markets evolve or die, because the league won't return.

Get over the "we deserve the AHL" schtick. It's not coming back, you're holding on to false hope. There's a difference between "there's a chance" and "no chance." Seattle has clearly prioritized Palm Springs and Boise. Manchester isn't on the radar. It's not even near the radar. Manchester is beneath the carpet that is under the table that's holding up the radar. Ownership screwed the fan base over, and you have my sympathies. But the sooner you join Glenn Falls, Worcester, Portland, and St. John's and accept the ECHL, the happier you will be. Or you'll be left with what you have now: no hockey.
no i get it i believe the best chance of getting hockey back is echl dont realy understand where the bruins echl ideas are coming from though

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
no i get it i believe the best chance of getting hockey back is echl dont realy understand where the bruins echl ideas are coming from though

It's people who are hopeful and spitballing. The Bruins have never had interest in the ECHL. They barely have interest in the AHL, Jacobs could not care less what Providence does as long as he gets his concessions money and his prospects get developed. Most NHL owners are the same way, thinking that the chances of an EC player ever becoming a worthy NHLer isn't enough to get financially invested in.

Reactions: monarchsfan987

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
It's people who are hopeful and spitballing. The Bruins have never had interest in the ECHL. They barely have interest in the AHL, Jacobs could not care less what Providence does as long as he gets his concessions money and his prospects get developed. Most NHL owners are the same way, thinking that the chances of an EC player ever becoming a worthy NHLer isn't enough to get financially invested in.

In your opinion and after seeing other markets do you see Manchester getting a team in 3-6 years

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
In your opinion and after seeing other markets do you see Manchester getting a team in 3-6 years

Difficult to say. They risk becoming an Albany if the arena does well enough without the team and books enough dates where the market looks like they’ll stay without pro hockey. Or they’ll turn into Lowell where the fan base shifts to other established hockey institutions. No one stepped up to buy the team, I’d give the market a year or two to reset and get a taste of what it’s like without any hockey and the EC will come sniffing around again.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
No, It would be very successful but it's still unlikely that it would happen for all I know the bruins are happy in atlanta
It has been a few years, but when the Royals were affiliated with the Bruins it was only an affiliation with Providence, and they typically were looking for a place to keep a backup goalie and one or two skaters on AHL contracts so they had someone to fill a hole for injuries. I don't think they care where they are, as long as the ECHL team doesn't complain too much and the financials work.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Difficult to say. They risk becoming an Albany if the arena does well enough without the team and books enough dates where the market looks like they’ll stay without pro hockey. Or they’ll turn into Lowell where the fan base shifts to other established hockey institutions. No one stepped up to buy the team, I’d give the market a year or two to reset and get a taste of what it’s like without any hockey and the EC will come sniffing around again.

Albany isn't suffering, the AHL to Albany was just another minor league team. Fans there who love the Devils can still catch the ECHL Thunder. Albany has both Union and RPI hockey nearby. Arena Football in Albany is pulling in 9000 fans per game. Albany is fine, the Devils AHL operations in Albany sucked. The only successful minor league hockey team I see being successful in Albany would have some attachment to the Rangers. I dont think Manchester has the same advantages as Albany does but not saying its a bad city, Manchester is a beautiful area.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Albany isn't suffering, the AHL to Albany was just another minor league team. Fans there who love the Devils can still catch the ECHL Thunder. Albany has both Union and RPI hockey nearby. Arena Football in Albany is pulling in 9000 fans per game. Albany is fine, the Devils AHL operations in Albany sucked. The only successful minor league hockey team I see being successful in Albany would have some attachment to the Rangers. I dont think Manchester has the same advantages as Albany does but not saying its a bad city, Manchester is a beautiful area.

I never said that Albany was suffering. I said that Manchester risks becoming a market that's fine without minor league hockey, which Albany is. Times Union Center has plenty of dates booked with the Albany Empire, Siena, and dozens of other events, the arena certainly isn't hurting. Minor league hockey is under an hour north in Glenn Falls and there's two D1 teams 20 minuts away, fans there have plenty of options. And considering the AHL was in Albany for well over 20 years, I wouldn't say it was just another minor league team.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
guys ahl seattle is going to manchester
Why would you even want that even if it was a possibility. I thinks its great for Worcester that we have a local team that wants to be here rather than a farm team for a west coast nhl team. Even if seattle put’s a AHl team in Manchester it would likely have a limited stay in the city and they would be left with little opportunity's again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad