Seattle/Abbotsford

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
It does seem premature to start trying to guess the name of the AHL affiliate when they haven't even announce the name of the NHL team yet.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Let's say that we go with OVG personnel talking about California being a location for the Seattle affiliate. What are they smoking?

It's my way of saying (1) name another California arena with luxury suites and no major tenant, and (2) there are other opportunities. But they've NEVER mentioned going into Canada.

I'm getting concerned that the Winterhawks are going to end up out of the WHL because the State of Oregon and the CHL may not see eye to eye on minimum wage issues... which means Portland becomes a candidate for being the Seattle affiliate. Ew.

(The recent trading of a boatload of draft picks for a not-well-established Saskatoon GK doesn't do more than help the feeling that the Hawks are thinking short term for reasons)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It does seem premature to start trying to guess the name of the AHL affiliate when they haven't even announce the name of the NHL team yet.

The two of them have to be related? I am pretty sure that is not a NHL or an AHL rule.

See Nashville Predators and Milwaukee Admirals, Buffalo Sabres and Rochester Americans...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Rochester is owned by who, ads? Buffalo

Chris, that is irrelevant. They aren't named the Rochester Sabres, or even the Rochester Swords, that is my point!

All teams are not the brain dead Penguins, Bruins, Devils, Stars, Wild & Senators with the same names and the same colors for both teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Chris, that is irrelevant. They aren't named the Rochester Sabres, or even the Rochester Swords, that is my point!

All teams are not the brain dead Penguins, Bruins, Devils, Stars, Wild & Senators with the same names and the same colors for both teams.
no, it's not, remember Buffalo and Rochester weren't always affiliated

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
no, it's not, remember Buffalo and Rochester weren't always affiliated

Chris, you are usually sharper than this!

Buffalo has never changed their name from Sabres since 1970. Rochester has never changed their name from Americans since 1956, regardless of the few recent years when they were not affiliated. You keep arguing irrelevant details, but you keep making my point! The two teams don't have to have the same name, or related names, (nor the same uniform colors) as royals119 implied about the possible Seattle / Abbotsford affiliation. I found only 6 NHL / AHL teams with the same names and the same uniform colors.

Does Buffalo have Red, White and Blue jerseys? Do the Americans regularly play with Blue and Gold jerseys?

Does Sabres mean the same thing in the English language as Americans? I believe the answer is no to all of those questions.

There are no NHL or AHL rules regarding this situation, regardless of affiliation!

Last edited:
Reactions: 210

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Let's say Seattle does put there AHL affiliate in Abbotsford BC what would you call them the Abbotsford????.

Why would Seattle would place their AHL affiliate in Canada? You would create a lot of work in figuring out currency exchange rates constantly in figuring salaries for coaching staff, medical staff, players, office staff, affiliation fee, etc. Lot of work and hassle in that figuring that all out.

If Seattle does decide to own their AHL affiliate, they have several options. The current favorite would be the Idaho Steelheads in the ECHL (or at least that is what the current speculation is right now). Then Seattle could also be waiting to see what happens in the next 2 seasons to see if any AHL affiliation changes in the Pacific Division that could get their interest if a current NHL team who owns their AHL team in the AHL Pacific Divsion, decides to move their AHL team elsewhere.

Right now Seattle does not even have a GM named so all this is speculation on everyone here at the moment. I sure more news from Seattle will come out as the NHL regular season gets near.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The two of them have to be related? I am pretty sure that is not a NHL or an AHL rule.

See Nashville Predators and Milwaukee Admirals, Buffalo Sabres and Rochester Americans...
No, they don't have to be related. I'm just saying it is very early in the process, any guesses about the name of the next AHL team right now are purely guesses. We don't know who will own the team, what city it will be in, or even if it will actually be a Seattle affiliate.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
besides that there is an affiliation thread existing on the Seattle forum, but the main focus seems to be in and around the arena renovations.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Why would Seattle would place their AHL affiliate in Canada? You would create a lot of work in figuring out currency exchange rates constantly in figuring salaries for coaching staff, medical staff, players, office staff, affiliation fee, etc. Lot of work and hassle in that figuring that all out.

If Seattle does decide to own their AHL affiliate, they have several options. The current favorite would be the Idaho Steelheads in the ECHL (or at least that is what the current speculation is right now). Then Seattle could also be waiting to see what happens in the next 2 seasons to see if any AHL affiliation changes in the Pacific Division that could get their interest if a current NHL team who owns their AHL team in the AHL Pacific Divsion, decides to move their AHL team elsewhere.

Right now Seattle does not even have a GM named so all this is speculation on everyone here at the moment. I sure more news from Seattle will come out as the NHL regular season gets near.

Fans are talking about Boise. OVG mentioned California and pretty much sent a signal that Boise isn't really a player. Main reason: Boise wants autonomy. Every Boise team hates being a mere affiliate. They want to win and could care less about just being there. Even the baseball team has certain requests of their major league affiliation. They won't go AHL.

I'm curious to know if Seattle would be so dumb as to settle on Fresno. Their best options are really in the Pacific Northwest.. south of the 49th. That does mean stampeding into "WHL territory," but that's always been a matter of time anyway.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Everyone on here is writing as f Seattle owns an AHL franchise. They do not. Maybe Florida or Tampa Bay buys the new franchise and puts it in Orlando and calls them the New Solar Bears and then Seattle has to affiliate with someone that already has a team name.

Speculation on the name - Crunch.

Reactions: JMCx4

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Everyone on here is writing as f Seattle owns an AHL franchise. They do not. Maybe Florida or Tampa Bay buys the new franchise and puts it in Orlando and calls them the New Solar Bears and then Seattle has to affiliate with someone that already has a team name.

do you have sources on this it sounds like more than speculation

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Why would Seattle would place their AHL affiliate in Canada? You would create a lot of work in figuring out currency exchange rates constantly in figuring salaries for coaching staff, medical staff, players, office staff, affiliation fee, etc. Lot of work and hassle in that figuring that all out. ...
theres-an-app.jpg

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

And then maybe Seattle and Vancouver can have their AHL teams 50 miles apart.....in Central, NY :sarcasm:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Tommy Hawk....coming in and throwing absolute SPECULATION round and causing chaos...lol
Of course Tommy the real question right now is...Who owns the chiefs...aka 32nd AHL franchise?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012

Are you advocating the AHL rise up and shake themselves of their NHL masters? HA!

Thing is, it'll probably be a year before the good rumors even start.

'Secret Sauce': How Seattle plans to create perfect NHL franchise

They don't want to share, meaning they'll definitely want a lot of input if not own the team outright. That, well, pretty much means they'll have to own a team (bye bye Boise). Also, they want to be in the Pacific Division.

The part about the year delay resulting in four cancellations and 5,000 NEW people on the waiting list... eh, I'm the first guy to be skeptical of waiting lists, but they have a basis for this talk.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the question about Abbotsford ever hosting pro hockey again at either pro level boils down to will the city not interfere with the tenant or do we see a repeat of the 5 year and out clause that Calgary negotiated.....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like Abbotsford would be better to hook up with the Canucks when the time comes. I think it's also a missed opportunity if Seattle doesn't keep their AHL team in the relatively immediate area, or at least within the state. They should be working with the WHL as well, because that's a pretty big advantage in resources as an American team having that many junior teams so close to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->