Seattle’s Potential Targets: Former Thunderbirds

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Here’s part two in a series identifying potential targets for Seattle, with the focus on former Thunderbirds and players that starred in Washington State during their junior careers: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-seattle-potential-targets-former-thunderbirds/

I highly doubt Patrick Marleau would come back. Chris Osgood might for promotions but the city has changed so massively in just the past 5-10 years that people wouldn’t know who recent players are unless they lived in Kenton.

Last edited:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I highly doubt Patrick Marleau would come back. Chris Osgood might for promotions but the city has changed so massively in just the past 5-10 years that people wouldn’t know who recent players are unless they lived in Kenton.

Good points, that may or may not become part of the team's strategy. All things being equal, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to bring back some former Thunderbirds through the expansion draft and/or free agency.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Good points, that may or may not become part of the team's strategy. All things being equal, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to bring back some former Thunderbirds through the expansion draft and/or free agency.

The better plan would be to draft homegrown talent and not T-Birds.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
no but it is a good starting point. They will have much more access to watching TBirds, Tips, Ams, and Chiefs play and develop than any other teams

Only if you count the folks living in/around Seattle. But NHL teams hire scouts from around the world to work "locally"/regionally. And realize there are two types of scouts: amateur (looking at potential draftees, undrafted free agent signings) and pro (who pre-scout opponent teams and/or looking for potential trade bait).

The expansion draft will primarily be looking at existing pro players (while at the same time, need to do their study of amateurs for 2021 and future drafts, and potential future trades).

Amateur scouts are usually regional (WHL, QMJHL, OHL; US midwest, US north east, Europe to name a few areas/regions). Pro scouts are often by league (NHL, AHL/ECHL, misc Europe).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Chris Osgood is part Owner of the Saginaw OHL team, and he's got a cushy job with Fox Sports Detroit, despite the fact that he's not a good commentator. I don't see any way he comes to WA just because he played a handful of games as a T-bird.

It all depends on who is available. Drafting someone just based on where they played juniors isn’t what GM’s do.
True for the most part, but Holland had a penchant for players with MI connections:

- Abdelkader - Born Muskegon, MI played for MI St
- Larkin - Waterford, MI played for U of M
- Danny DeKeyser- Detroit, played for WMU (college free agent pickup)
- Luke Glendening - GR, MI, played for U of M (college free agent pickup)
- Luke Witkowski - Holland, MI, played for WMU (signed free agent, now with TBL)
- Matt Puempel - Windsor, Ont (across the river from Detroit), Acquired through trade
- Kaden Fulcher - Brigden, ONT (10 miles from MI), free agent camp invitee
- Oliwer Kaski - Pori, FIN, played at WMU, free agent signing from Liiga
- Also a bunch of AHL players from MI and ONT in Grand Rapids, but mainly to fill out he team

Noting that only 2 of them were draft picks, it's not a great draft strategy. However, local connection can attract UFAs, and it can be a good way to fill out the AHL team. This area doesn't have any good college hockey teams, and other than TJ, I'm not aware of any other good players from the area. TJ will be 38 when his current contract expires, not really sure I'd want him at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad