Season ticket wait list

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I'm sure you've all heard talk that the last couple of seasons have seen a decline of people on the wait list as a result of people getting seats or losing interest. I have found as most you proabably know that it's getting increasingly difficult to get a firm commitment from potential share partners.
Anyone have any idea how many people are actually left on that wait list. The other thing I wonder is how many wait list people would actually accept tickets given the way it's been presented until today. You know the pitch, "we have these seats, you want them or not" "you have 2 hours to confirm or we move onto the next person". Then when people ask to come see them they tell you that it's not possible! Seems like that has rubbed many people the wrong way.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I've always soured on how they provided the seats. My family had a moose minipack in the 200s for a few seasons prior to the Jets, and when we got the option to get Jets tickets, we selected some seats in P2 and a bit further back as well. We had never sat lower bowl so we were not familiar with sightlines and such, but when we got there, they just told us they were giving us our 1st option, regardless of us actually preferring our second choice after sitting in our seats.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I've always soured on how they provided the seats. My family had a moose minipack in the 200s for a few seasons prior to the Jets, and when we got the option to get Jets tickets, we selected some seats in P2 and a bit further back as well. We had never sat lower bowl so we were not familiar with sightlines and such, but when we got there, they just told us they were giving us our 1st option, regardless of us actually preferring our second choice after sitting in our seats.

At least you and towers in the first year had some input and could actually go see what your were committing to. Now they don't let you go and give you a very short time to decide.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I received seats after the third season and I was allowed to go see the seats and was given a few days to decide. But I was only given one set of seats to choose from and could decline one time before moving to the back of the list. They should really have the list based on price point. If you come up and you're offered seats you can't afford it would kinda suck.

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I filled out my Wait List survey today.

One of the questions was along the lines of, "If you were offered seats as a Share Partner, would you be interested?" It also asked in what price category you'd wanna split seats with someone with.

I'm thinking TNSE might start helping current STH's find Share Partners, which isn't such a bad idea.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Foos

Jul 8, 2014
Winnipeg
My friend and I were on the wait list for seasons 1-5. After season 5 we were up for season tickets. We were able to go the MTS Centre and check out our seats before committing. Gave us about two days to make our decision. They were P7s, absolutely last row, which is fine, because I can stand all I want during the games.

I'm still on the wait list through my account, since the season tickets we got were through my friend's account. I'll probably drop off the wait list. I did take the opportunity at the end of the wait-list survey today to express my concerns with poor coaching decisions, poor management decisions, and overall poor on-ice product.

DanBert

Apr 7, 2012
my renewal is due Friday....still not decided if I'll commiet for another 3. p7's last row. Hard to sell tickets now.... and TN isn't really doing much convince me either.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
my renewal is due Friday....still not decided if I'll commiet for another 3. p7's last row. Hard to sell tickets now.... and TN isn't really doing much convince me either.

You mean being first in the division and second in the conference isn't enough to convince you?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You mean being first in the division and second in the conference isn't enough to convince you?

I suspect his sentiment is more aligned with the pricing of the tickets for him coupled with the difficulty in moving tickets if you can't make a game. This season the only way I've been able to sell tickets is at season ticket price. Ticket Exchange is beyond useless because the fees add a ridiculous amount to the ticket (~15-20%) and the demand simply isn't there.

I totally get where you're coming from, the on ice product is certainly exceeding expectation. But the marketplace is showing the reality of the expensive product in an "on-sale" city. I have guys within my own group that are only going to five games a year. One of those games is a "C" category game that they'd likely rather not be at (reality of being in a group is not everyone gets all A/A+ tickets) so they're questioning whether they want to renew or not given they can likely pick up tickets on a game by game basis with only a few costing more than season ticket price anyway.

The only real tangible benefits of being a season seat holder is that you have the same seats every time and first right of refusal on playoff tickets (which hoo-doggies, get real pricey, real fast - I'm not sure I can really afford $1000+ for a pair of seats in P3 for the Cup final - experience of a lifetime no question but it's a lot of $$). Otherwise you have Jets Reward Points which involves minimal reward for most not in P1/P2 (those that are likely writing off their tickets against a business) and those rewards tend to follow a Club-Z like pricing scheme.

I see both sides of the coin. I'm lucky in that I have a reasonably stable group (for now) and am financially comfortable to afford my tickets, not so the case for many. But if my group drops out, I absolutely will not be going to 45 games a year at a cost of $10K+ per year. That's not good value for me with a kid heading to college soon.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Buggs said it... A "reasonably stable group" is what's needed.

Also a group of reasonable members... A game is a game whether it's a C, B, A or A+ game. As a STH you've all paid the same price for each ticket anyway. If someone in your group are not happy about going to a C game, that's not reasonable and they don't deserve to be in your group.

The only real tangible benefits of being a season seat holder is that you have the same seats every time and first right of refusal on playoff tickets

IMHO the real tangible benefit of being an STH is the ~30% discount on the face value (on the entire season). The rest is nothing compared to these savings, however arbitrary you might think they are. The trick still to have is a reasonably stable group comprised of people with reasonable expectations of the games they pick/attend.

If it's getting expensive, or you want to reduce the amount of games you go to don't disband your group - expand your group, add a person, keep your ticket price down and consider splitting among more people (or make a sub group with your share of the tickets, but get a commitment from that person).

By my math, in an evenly split 5 person STH group, the STH savings allows you to burn the face value of 2 A game tickets, or 4 tickets at the STH price you paid, before you've ended up paying face value for the rest of your tickets. There's LOTS of room for the rare situation of "I couldn't go due to a family situation or illness" reason. If your reason is "I don't want to go to a Pre-Season or C game" or "It's hard to sell tickets" then you're not a good fit to be in a group.

Now, having said all that, if you're willing and have the time to find those desperate people that will sell you their tickets at cost (or less), more power to you. There will most likely be some for most games (especially the Pre-Season and C games :P). The catch then is, they might consider your offer only at the last minute. Then, if you need to arrange childcare or any other logistics, it might not be for you. Not to mention that you'll have to repeat that for each game you want to attend.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think the upper deck seats are overpriced. It seems the demand for upper deck seats are far less than lower bowl Antidotally anyway, it seems people can still get close to face value when unloading lower bowl seats, but upper deck has to be at or below season ticket cost to sell.

I gave up my P6 seats after last season because it became too difficult finding people to go to games I couldn't make it too (nd with two young kids it became harder to make it to games). Tickets were listed well in advance in several places asking season ticket cost and I either had to sell below cost or just ended up giving to charity. Maybe this season is easier cause the team is doing better, not sure.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, it's pretty easy to get tickets to any game for around STH cost now. It'll be interesting to see the renewal rate this year. They may have bought themselves some goodwill by icing a great team.

Edit: Actually the only people renewing this year will be P6-P7 STHs who took the 4 year option after the 13-14 season. After next season (2018-19), all the P3, P4 and P5s will be up for renewal (and the P6 and P7s who took the 5 year option after 2013-14).

Last edited:

DanBert

Apr 7, 2012
I suspect his sentiment is more aligned with the pricing of the tickets for him coupled with the difficulty in moving tickets if you can't make a game. This season the only way I've been able to sell tickets is at season ticket price. Ticket Exchange is beyond useless because the fees add a ridiculous amount to the ticket (~15-20%) and the demand simply isn't there.

I totally get where you're coming from, the on ice product is certainly exceeding expectation. But the marketplace is showing the reality of the expensive product in an "on-sale" city. I have guys within my own group that are only going to five games a year. One of those games is a "C" category game that they'd likely rather not be at (reality of being in a group is not everyone gets all A/A+ tickets) so they're questioning whether they want to renew or not given they can likely pick up tickets on a game by game basis with only a few costing more than season ticket price anyway.

The only real tangible benefits of being a season seat holder is that you have the same seats every time and first right of refusal on playoff tickets (which hoo-doggies, get real pricey, real fast - I'm not sure I can really afford $1000+ for a pair of seats in P3 for the Cup final - experience of a lifetime no question but it's a lot of $$). Otherwise you have Jets Reward Points which involves minimal reward for most not in P1/P2 (those that are likely writing off their tickets against a business) and those rewards tend to follow a Club-Z like pricing scheme.

I see both sides of the coin. I'm lucky in that I have a reasonably stable group (for now) and am financially comfortable to afford my tickets, not so the case for many. But if my group drops out, I absolutely will not be going to 45 games a year at a cost of $10K+ per year. That's not good value for me with a kid heading to college soon.

Bingo...
Yet I still find it difficult. I end up with 20 games a year ....some nights, I can't make it....cuz of kdis hockey or whatever.....then I'm stuck giving them away....GIVING them away....cuz no one wants to drop $50 on an upper deck ticket.....so I eat it...and thats's why yo see MANY empty seats in the arena these days...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bingo...
Yet I still find it difficult. I end up with 20 games a year ....some nights, I can't make it....cuz of kdis hockey or whatever.....then I'm stuck giving them away....GIVING them away....cuz no one wants to drop $50 on an upper deck ticket.....so I eat it...and thats's why yo see MANY empty seats in the arena these days...
I never see any empty seats around me. P5's a couple rows up just off center ice. In a group that has never had to resell tickets and often buys extra tickets on the secondary market. But having a stable group that wants/can be in the arena for their allotment of games at a comfortable price point was the key all along, its just that too many people jumped in unprepared to be a life long ST holder able to ride out the ups and downs.

The real advantage of being a ST holder is just around the corner. Guaranteed tickets to be in the building during a playoff run. I get the 1st playoff game this time around and want home ice advantage so bad to be there on opening night of the playoffs.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
My brother has been on the wait list since day one. They called two summers ago and offered upper deck tickets. He declined and was told he’d stay at the top of the list. They keep phoning him but he’s going to wait until the perfect tickets become available. It seems their rules have been relaxed a bit. I have tickets in the lower bowl 15 rows up and for games I can’t make I have no problem selling them. Now I sell them at my cost, $110 per seat, and have no problem getting rid of them.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
I end up with 20 games a year

Unless you're retired or your kids are older and virtually independent, 20 games is a lot of games to attend. If you have younger kids and/or other social activities you like to do, 20 is definitely too many games.

Your group may be too small, consider expanding it and going down to less games. I used to have 11 games and struggle to attend them all with family life and all. I went down to 7 games and I feel like I have room to buy or attend an extra one or two but only if I want to, there's no pressure. You have to be honest with yourself and determine the qty of games you'd really like to goto. You don't want to saturate yourself, you want to keep that excitement of attending a game and you want to remain a "buyer".

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I never see any empty seats around me. P5's a couple rows up just off center ice. In a group that has never had to resell tickets and often buys extra tickets on the secondary market. But having a stable group that wants/can be in the arena for their allotment of games at a comfortable price point was the key all along, its just that too many people jumped in unprepared to be a life long ST holder able to ride out the ups and downs.

The real advantage of being a ST holder is just around the corner. Guaranteed tickets to be in the building during a playoff run. I get the 1st playoff game this time around and want home ice advantage so bad to be there on opening night of the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a long playoff run. I know in my group we will probably have to find a way to re-sell at least one game a round or refuse some rounds if they made it to the Conference Final or SCF, and we ain't poor, two guys making 6 figures and two retired guys who have nice government pensions. It's a big chunk of change to drop when you have families and homes to take care of. We already gave up our Bomber tickets to make our spending on Jets tickets more reasonable.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It will be interesting to see what happens in a long playoff run. I know in my group we will probably have to find a way to re-sell at least one game a round or refuse some rounds if they made it to the Conference Final or SCF, and we ain't poor, two guys making 6 figures and two retired guys who have nice government pensions. It's a big chunk of change to drop when you have families and homes to take care of. We already gave up our Bomber tickets to make our spending on Jets tickets more reasonable.
I don't know if I fully buy this. No one in our group is collecting pension quite yet but salaries are probably close to the same ball park. Not sure if your group has 2 or 4 seats, but for us we have 4 guys for 2 seats so I'm only responsible for 2 tickets even in a full 4 game series. Luckily our ST agreement is a single seat every 2nd game, so just the core group in the arena. Even if it averages 2 X the regular season cost and we go the full 4 series that is just a fraction of a winter geta-away somewhere. Not cheap but maybe provides a experience/memory of a lifetime.

Reactions: Sabadecade

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't know if I fully buy this. No one in our group is collecting pension quite yet but salaries are probably close to the same ball park. Not sure if your group has 2 or 4 seats, but for us we have 4 guys for 2 seats so I'm only responsible for 2 tickets even in a full 4 game series. Luckily our ST agreement is a single seat every 2nd game, so just the core group in the arena. Even if it averages 2 X the regular season cost and we go the full 4 series that is just a fraction of a winter geta-away somewhere. Not cheap but maybe provides a experience/memory of a lifetime.

The last year I have a record receiving the pricing for playoff tickets was 2016 (I either deleted last season's email or they didn't send it out). I'm P3 and our season ticket price per seat that year was $103. For each round of the playoff this was the price per seat we had:

First round: $155
Second round: $182
Third round: $208
Cup Final: $312

So the average price per seat over all for rounds was a little more than double at $214. Pretty darn fine estimate on your part, assuming they keep a similar pricing formula.

I do wish we'd used the same thing in our agreement as you had whereby it was only the core group in the arena, but we didn't.

Reactions: Sabadecade

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, if anyone in the upper deck wants to add to their group, I'm your guy lol.

Depending on how many games one would attend... I would be comfortable going to 5-7 games a year.

Just saying

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The last year I have a record receiving the pricing for playoff tickets was 2016 (I either deleted last season's email or they didn't send it out). I'm P3 and our season ticket price per seat that year was $103. For each round of the playoff this was the price per seat we had:

First round: $155
Second round: $182
Third round: $208
Cup Final: $312

So the average price per seat over all for rounds was a little more than double at $214. Pretty darn fine estimate on your part, assuming they keep a similar pricing formula.

I do wish we'd used the same thing in our agreement as you had whereby it was only the core group in the arena, but we didn't.
Here's last year's (2016-17) pricing, per seat per game:
8Q1q_AVvF4UHJwvyH8SkiOUCcKxiW2rflr7IzQcmFzUbV9sd43wKS3EeQV3Tk1PSkgOrQ022dbvVeTG277GazlsNLLhFMC11aguWQdnGCy7F6b-V37CKtw77WhugO72jGeckHdtrEEq3BC_3IuMTHkqac-tz7Y6rkv0YvC5_Wio=s0-d-e1-ft

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Hey for an extra $40, you get lower deck. No leaners. All good! Yeah upper deck esp p5's are way over priced. I will take corner p6's any day over p5's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->