Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 4

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
There were a tonne of empty seats at the Philly game last night. Whole sections in the upper bowl practically empty.

No way was that a sell out. I will hate to see what happens if the Oilers start to fade in the standings.
why? it's about time fans started hitting the team where it hurts, Katz' pocketbook...the Oilers organization took advantage of their fans long enough

Reactions: TB12

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Noticed that on TV. Pretty crazy considering it’s an eastern team we only get to see once a year and the Oilers are hot.

Gregor got absolutely roasted for suggesting it could be partially tied to the economy but I can’t help but wonder if that’s a factor these days as well.

It's probably mostly the economy I would think.

The Oilers are winning and it was a warm October night. Perfect night to go to a game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You don't pull the rug out from people for most of a decade, and then expect them all to jump back on the ship overnight.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
There were a tonne of empty seats at the Philly game last night. Whole sections in the upper bowl practically empty.

No way was that a sell out. I will hate to see what happens if the Oilers start to fade in the standings.
17,107 stated on the NHL game summary. So 1250 empty seats.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Because I hold a dozen games I still need to sell this season, and I want to be able to get what I paid for them. :help:

I agree. While I understand the risks I've assumed as a STH and don't expect sympathy from anyone if I fall short there seems to be some schadenfreude from many coming to this discussion. While I don't like Katz, how he and OEG went about business being so divisive in the arena debate, with the (seemingly) stalled production at Ice District, his love affair with the OBC - I still love my Oilers. When that stops I'm done with this league.

I've done alright with my tickets so far as I've sold $5400 out of a $6600 cost. My partner and I will be going to 2 games together this first half and each have another 3 to take whoever. All our first half tickets are sold out minus the two Christmas season games (NYR and Flames) but I have a feeler for the Flames so we shall see. Overall I have 11 games left and think I'll need to sell 2-4 of those games while we enjoy the rest.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I have to admit, while I was hesitant to renew last spring, I'm quite happy I did seei g how the season has started. Ticket holdr perks have also improved. Booked my behind the scene tour for this week and the discount on beer makes every pint taste even better!

Anyone else here happy where the team is at? Or all still just naysayers?

I've been very happy so far. I enjoy the 15% discount (long overdue), missed out on the first wave of arena tours (also long overdue) but plan to go next go around. My rep has been helpful and I enjoy some of the little perks. I like monthly contests and draws they are starting.

I also like the lanyard we got to hold our cards as it helps to make you feel like a VIP when you are walking around. Little things like that have made a big difference with me.

What I've also appreciated was they finally started listing some of the special nights early - for example, I held back my tickets to Shirts Off Our Backs in December as I've always enjoyed that promotion. Previous years I've found out about a promotion a few weeks before and sometimes the tickets would be committed to someone else or sold.

I love, love, love the current schedule. To me, we didn't get enough weekend games before. When the schedule dropped I counted and I believe it was just over half of the games were on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Long overdue. And they stopped doing the silly 7 or 7:30 starts on a Sunday. 6:00PM for me every time, thank you very much.

And the Weekend Advantage promotions have also been a welcome addition. I know the Oilers got chided for Thirsty Thursdays as they only have 3 games and it's only on till end of first intermission. I will say, as someone who sold booze at the old Chefs Corner in Rexall Place, there were nights (GnR Concert) where the booze sales went on waaaaaaay too long and, in my opinion, it wasn't safe. As someone who plans to go to one in the new year, if it doesn't sell, I'm happy it is a promotion to get some buzz and excitement in the building, but nothing that should turn the place into a rowdy frat house during freshmen week.

I hope the Oilers are setting the bar high and planning to live up to it in future seasons - it'll be disappointing if this is just a short duration till the fans come back in droves.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I agree. While I understand the risks I've assumed as a STH and don't expect sympathy from anyone if I fall short there seems to be some schadenfreude from many coming to this discussion. While I don't like Katz, how he and OEG went about business being so divisive in the arena debate, with the (seemingly) stalled production at Ice District, his love affair with the OBC - I still love my Oilers. When that stops I'm done with this league.

I've done alright with my tickets so far as I've sold $5400 out of a $6600 cost. My partner and I will be going to 2 games together this first half and each have another 3 to take whoever. All our first half tickets are sold out minus the two Christmas season games (NYR and Flames) but I have a feeler for the Flames so we shall see. Overall I have 11 games left and think I'll need to sell 2-4 of those games while we enjoy the rest.

Katz and the arena/ice district are some of the reasons Edmonton has not suffered more during this time of provincial devastation. IMO, we should all thank him for that.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Katz and the arena/ice district are some of the reasons Edmonton has not suffered more during this time of provincial devastation. IMO, we should all thank him for that.

Maybe. Just didn’t like the tone they used nor their Seattle threats - especially during a lockout initiated by the owners.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
How have the behind the scenes tours been? How long does the tour take?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
How have the behind the scenes tours been? How long does the tour take?

I’ve been curious myself. I missed out on the first wave as they filled up pretty fast.
Be nice if someone here can say if they were any good.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
I’ve been curious myself. I missed out on the first wave as they filled up pretty fast.
Be nice if someone here can say if they were any good.

I went on the weekend and the tour lasted 1.5 hours. More than half of our 25 person group did not show up (seems to be a common theme). The tour was ok. You are not allowed into the Oilers dressing room.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
well that the chance you take buying season tickets...if they end up a playoff team, you'll probably get more than you paid!
right now, tickets are cheap on Stubhub

No they aren't. I've been looking at the Jersey game this upcoming Friday for almost a month now, and the tickets are still more expensive on Stubhub than they are to buy straight from the Oilers.

Oct 15, 2008
No they aren't. I've been looking at the Jersey game this upcoming Friday for almost a month now, and the tickets are still more expensive on Stubhub than they are to buy straight from the Oilers.
They get cheaper as the game gets closer. Best time to buy is an hour or two before game time.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

One thing that does not get enough mention is that in the new building, the upper level seats are so high and so far from the action as well as super steep, many people don't like them. I refuse to sit up there. I have turned down tickets as they are just not good.
Makes me miss Northlands Coliseum. The upper deck seats were fantastic compared to Rogers Place.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
One thing that does not get enough credit is that in the new building, the upper level seats are so high and so far from the action as well as super steep, many people don't like them. I refuse to sit up there. I have turned down tickets as they are just not good.
Makes me miss Northlands Coliseum. The upper deck seats were fantastic compared to Rogers Place.
This X1000, I’ve sat up there twice since the rink opened and would way rather stay home then sit up there, the leg room is not good and I find they are crowded with not great views, and I sat in one of the top rows once and there was a brutal draft I thought the Mrs was going to freeze.

Reactions: boredem and Nonamee

samiam

Oct 4, 2010

Besides the elevated play of the team this year, one factor for this is that weekend games (like the one you mentioned above) will generally hold their value on secondary sites much better than the weekday games. Especially against certain eastern teams.

That being said, if you are still looking for that game, and would like to avoid the crazy fees, and are open to purchasing directly from a season seat holder for face value or less, send me a pm :)

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
This X1000, I’ve sat up there twice since the rink opened and would way rather stay home then sit up there, the leg room is not good and I find they are crowded with not great views, and I sat in one of the top rows once and there was a brutal draft I thought the Mrs was going to freeze.

Add me to this list. We were going to downgrade our seats to the upper bowl so we tried sitting up their twice. We hated it for a bunch of reasons. Feels crowded, steep, people lean so you have to yell at them so you can see. The worst part is you are so far from the ice it's like watching the game on your grandparents TV, it's awful. And because you're so far and due to the acoustics of the building you can't hear the game at all (love the sounds of the game).

I will never sit up there again, not worth it IMO

Last edited:

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Anyone buying a World Junior package? I 100% intended on it when I renewed in the spring but now that I have seen the packages and the prices it's an easy pass for me. Will just buy one game I want to go to.

$2,000 for 2 lower bowl seats in my section? Not in this economy

Edit: I had a look out of curiosity at both A & B packages and there are hundreds of tickets available in each section still. Not looking good.

Last edited:

Beerad

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton
Ya, not interested in watching Latvia vs France. I’ll grab a few of the Canadian games and save the money.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Anyone buying a World Junior package? I 100% intended on it when I renewed in the spring but now that I have seen the packages and the prices it's an easy pass for me. Will just buy one game I want to go to.

$2,000 for 2 lower bowl seats in my section? Not in this economy

Edit: I had a look out of curiosity at both A & B packages and there are hundreds of tickets available in each section still. Not looking good.

I am on the fence. I was there in '94 for the Edmonton/Red Deer games. What bugs me is that back then there were games between the European countries played in small, intimate arenas. I used to play (not very well) Friday night midnight hockey in Sherwood Park. One night our game followed Sweden and Finland (or someone). That place seats maybe 2500? Would have been a fun atmosphere to be part of. Take that same game and put it in Rogers Place...and it doesn't work at all.

They should be playing games with the mid-weight teams out of Expo Hall (yes, I know, Katz and company don't get a long with Northlands) and some of the less significant games should be out of the smaller arenas in town. All would be packed and the tournament would be touching every corner of this city.

The way I see it for $1200 for my seats I get 2 Canada tourney games + 3 lesser games +Canada QF and Semi + Bronze.

If I sell Canada games for $400, lesser games for $80 and let's say I get $120 for Bronze (no one is spending more until they know who's playing) That means I've spent $1200, sold almost $600 and I'm out $590 for a QF and Semi.

That means I'm spending $122.50/seat to see Canada play elimination games they might not even make. My hunch is I can get those same games with Canada on the secondary market for about that same price. And I don't have to hustle to make my nut back.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I am on the fence. I was there in '94 for the Edmonton/Red Deer games. What bugs me is that back then there were games between the European countries played in small, intimate arenas. I used to play (not very well) Friday night midnight hockey in Sherwood Park. One night our game followed Sweden and Finland (or someone). That place seats maybe 2500? Would have been a fun atmosphere to be part of. Take that same game and put it in Rogers Place...and it doesn't work at all.

They should be playing games with the mid-weight teams out of Expo Hall (yes, I know, Katz and company don't get a long with Northlands) and some of the less significant games should be out of the smaller arenas in town. All would be packed and the tournament would be touching every corner of this city.

The way I see it for $1200 for my seats I get 2 Canada tourney games + 3 lesser games +Canada QF and Semi + Bronze.

If I sell Canada games for $400, lesser games for $80 and let's say I get $120 for Bronze (no one is spending more until they know who's playing) That means I've spent $1200, sold almost $600 and I'm out $590 for a QF and Semi.

That means I'm spending $122.50/seat to see Canada play elimination games they might not even make. My hunch is I can get those same games with Canada on the secondary market for about that same price. And I don't have to hustle to make my nut back.
It would be really cool if they played some of the smaller games at small rinks, that’s an awesome idea. Clare Drake for example would be cool.

I had a ticket package back when it was in Toronto and I remember doing the math then and it wasn’t even close to being a better deal to buy the package. Even with the Canada/Russia gold medal game. Granted I think Edmonton will draw better than Toronto but it’s a huge financial risk for no gain. Some of the smaller games I couldn’t even sell at all, I ended up donating them to the local charity they had setup.

I don’t like how they setup the packages. You’re essentially gambling Canada is in the gold medal final which is not a given anymore. Or if you buy the other package and they do make the gold medal game you still have to buy tickets to another game which would end up being the most expensive.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Add me to this list. We were going to downgrade our seats to the upper bowl so we tried sitting up their twice. We hated it for a bunch of reasons. Feels crowded, steep, people lean so you have to yell at them so you can see. The worst part is you are so far from the ice it's like watching the game on your grandparents TV, it's awful. And because you're so far and due to the acoustics of the building you can't hear the game at all (love the sounds of the game).

I will never sit up there again, not worth it IMO
I havent been to a game in almost 2 seasons now and what I hate about sitting up in the upper bowl is if you have seats in the middle of a section, there is next to no foot room for you to get by people to your seat If coming back mid timeout, whistle. the height, steepness doesnt bug me as much as losing balance and falling 1-2 rows forward. Not sure what these guys were thinking when they built it.

I've read a couple posts about the tours, sounds like fun. I've toured a few stadiums MLB NFL Scotiabank Arena and alot of the GM's/Owners dont allow fan tours of the home dressing room, so I'm not surprised by this.

Wish they would open up tours to the public like all these other places like these other places do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->