Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 4

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Well 8:30 Last night I got a phone call from OEG. The Rep came on and started asking me why I gave up my season tickets and what it would take to get me back. I mentioned the crappy on ice product and the game atmosphere. He went on to say how the oilers will be improved and how the atmosphere will be better. I said not likely, so he said how about I give you 2 seats to the home opener so you can see, I will talk to you in-between the 2nd and 3rd. I said sure- so my streak of going to home openers runs to 10. I would advise if you get this call to answer it..a free game might be worth it.

Will I purchase tickets---8 ball says-not today

Reactions: oobga and o98

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Its lol that they are giving away tickets to the home opener. Wow. you couldn't usually even get seats for those.

Interesting how suddenly the org is getting hungry and serious about trying to attract or retain fans.

The weird thing is the Oilers I think will make the playoffs this season and yet demand for tickets is not all that high. Not as high as any of the Chia years which I considered depressing times for the most part.

One of the things the Oilers absolutely have to do is make the entertainment better. They have all the multimedia equipment to make pregame production as fascinating as Tampa, Vegas, etc. They do literally least possible production with it. The Arena at huge expense has state of the art projection jumbotron, all the multl media elements, and we still have Rexall Place level production value 3seasons in, while they apparently still don't know how to unleash the potential of the new tech. WTF?

We should be seeing out of this world production value pregame.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
^Its lol that they are giving away tickets to the home opener. Wow. you couldn't usually even get seats for those.

Interesting how suddenly the org is getting hungry and serious about trying to attract or retain fans.

The weird thing is the Oilers I think will make the playoffs this season and yet demand for tickets is not all that high. Not as high as any of the Chia years which I considered depressing times for the most part.

One of the things the Oilers absolutely have to do is make the entertainment better. They have all the multimedia equipment to make pregame production as fascinating as Tampa, Vegas, etc. They do literally least possible production with it. The Arena at huge expense has state of the art projection jumbotron, all the multl media elements, and we still have Rexall Place level production value 3seasons in, while they apparently still don't know how to unleash the potential of the new tech. WTF?

We should be seeing out of this world production value pregame.

The Oilers have been essentially terrible for 13 years and haven't had issues with selling tickets, so they didn't spend money on in game production because well why would you?. Its finally caught up to them so it will likely take a while for them to be better at it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Oilers organization took the fans are granted for years and years...they didn't give two squirts about STH because they knew someone else would snap them up from the waiting list. They even had the benefit of going into a new area and the McDavid factor to keep them going...
well the losing continued and fans finally got smart about it

it's comical (and about damn time) to see them scramble and realize the ways of their errors...start with recognizing that fans are the most important part of a franchise, make the games more entertaining in-game (play good music, stop panning the crowd every whistle to watch some idiots waving)
but most of all, win some freaking hockey games

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB

They should use that fancy screen to show me friggen replays not their high school projects. An Oiler does something exciting, another 48 seconds of play occurs before the whistle resulting from the opponents crossing the line and firing an easy shot that the Oilers goalie catches (the type they can catch), during the lead up to the puck drop they show commercials and people dancing, then just as the face off is about to happen they show a 3 second replay of the last 3 seconds of play.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Katz friendship with Kevin Lowe cost him 10 of millions of dollars. All Of this is a product of arrogance and incompetence.

RadDude

Dec 14, 2007
A quick question for current season ticket holders. I was a season ticket holder for 15 years, but I cancelled my tickets after last season... I intend to buy tickets for the odd game from resellers, and just checked out the Ticketmaster resale site. I noticed that all the resale seats are higher in price than the sale price of the Oiler Seats in every section and game I checked. Sometimes it only a few cents cheaper, and other times is up to $10 cheaper. I do remember seeing that the Oilers mention that they were putting a minimum on the resale price for games, to help prevent the value of tickets to drop.

My question is, did they implement this, and is the minimum sale price always higher than what the Oilers sell it for?

If so, this seems like a shady business practice from the Oilers standpoint as it looks like they undercutting their season ticket holders, while trying to sell it off as a perk for them. I can see why they wanted to implement this, if it meant they could sell their inventory before the season seat holders would.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A quick question for current season ticket holders. I was a season ticket holder for 15 years, but I cancelled my tickets after last season... I intend to buy tickets for the odd game from resellers, and just checked out the Ticketmaster resale site. I noticed that all the resale seats are higher in price than the sale price of the Oiler Seats in every section and game I checked. Sometimes it only a few cents cheaper, and other times is up to $10 cheaper. I do remember seeing that the Oilers mention that they were putting a minimum on the resale price for games, to help prevent the value of tickets to drop.

My question is, did they implement this, and is the minimum sale price always higher than what the Oilers sell it for?

If so, this seems like a shady business practice from the Oilers standpoint as it looks like they undercutting their season ticket holders, while trying to sell it off as a perk for them. I can see why they wanted to implement this, if it meant they could sell their inventory before the season seat holders would.

That would quite simply be price fixing, and not letting the market naturally do, what the market does. Would be interesting to see some replies. I heard something about this, but can't google anything up on it.

In anycase resales are amply discouraged by the rampant fees and I think there could even be some double dipping of fees. For instance are there intances where ticketmaster fees being paid multiple times on same ticket or are arena ticket surcharge levys being multiple times applied. Each to me is offputting. But Ticketmaster is in general. I mean how much profit and margin does Ticketmaster need to provide substandard service, ticket pages that are easily overwhelmed, poor ticket search parameters etc.

Beerad

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton
They’ve changed the min sell price from 0 to a little higher then a third of the cost for season seat holders this year. That bottom will be going up over the next few years to near the level of the cost. By the time ticketmaster adds in all their fee’s the min cost will be face value or more.

If someone wants cheap seats they’ll have to sit in the upper bowl or not go.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
They’ve changed the min sell price from 0 to a little higher then a third of the cost for season seat holders this year. That bottom will be going up over the next few years to near the level of the cost. By the time ticketmaster adds in all their fee’s the min cost will be face value or more.

I dont think theyll increase the minimum much more. They dont want to ruin resale. Just make it more balanced

RadDude

Dec 14, 2007

Thanks for the info... Just thought it was funny how the Oilers seat prices were always undercutting every resale seat for every game I looked at, it must be part of their algorithm they have setup for the fluctuating prices.

I don't mind paying the prices to the season seat holders so they can get their money back when they can't make a game... I just don't feel like giving any more of my money to the OEG.

Reactions: harpoon and mullet

Compgod

Jun 22, 2015
Well 8:30 Last night I got a phone call from OEG. The Rep came on and started asking me why I gave up my season tickets and what it would take to get me back. I mentioned the crappy on ice product and the game atmosphere. He went on to say how the oilers will be improved and how the atmosphere will be better. I said not likely, so he said how about I give you 2 seats to the home opener so you can see, I will talk to you in-between the 2nd and 3rd. I said sure- so my streak of going to home openers runs to 10. I would advise if you get this call to answer it..a free game might be worth it.

I got a call from one of those reps last week(Was a holder for 4 seasons). It went about the same as yours, asking why I cancelled and what could they do to get my business back. I went on to state that the issues with the on ice product, lackluster season ticket holder promotions, the cyber monday f***up, the horrible ushers that don't seem to give a shit, and the outrageous ticket prices. After I stopped speaking the rep said that the power packs have been popular for people in your financial situation... Then I really went off on them, needless to say I was not offered tickets for tonight. I'm still pissed off about that comment and it was a week ago.

Reactions: Yeah15

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
That rep filled you both with BS, just to say out loud.

You are supposed to fear the black market, not use it. Duh

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Maybe can just show this gif on your phone to provide your final answer

tenor.gif

Sad hearing the Oilers are resorting to time share salesman tactics, trying to get people alone and face to face to try a high pressure sales pitch.

Last edited:

TheOilSaulGoodman

Mar 16, 2018
Nisku
I have to admit, while I was hesitant to renew last spring, I'm quite happy I did seei g how the season has started. Ticket holdr perks have also improved. Booked my behind the scene tour for this week and the discount on beer makes every pint taste even better!

Anyone else here happy where the team is at? Or all still just naysayers?

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
I have to admit, while I was hesitant to renew last spring, I'm quite happy I did seei g how the season has started. Ticket holdr perks have also improved. Booked my behind the scene tour for this week and the discount on beer makes every pint taste even better!

Hopefully demand for tickets goes up!

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009

I got an email stating the tours up until end of November are available, I hope on to book one and all sold out :( I gotta be quicker on the ball when December opens up for tours.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Early results have been promising for the Oilers but there is a lot of resentment over the product being put on the ice for the past decade...and we can't blame the fans one bit. I suspect it will take time for people to buy into this team given the stench left by the previous management group.

Teams typically call a game a "sellout" if there are less than 500 tickets remaining. It will be interesting to see what happens with the game tomorrow night as there appears to be close to 1500 blue dots available. Will they distribute several hundred seats to keep the sellout streak alive or will they simply leave the seats unsold...and thus the end of the streak?

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/edmonton-oilers-vs-philadelphia-flyers/event/110056F519733683

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Early results have been promising for the Oilers but there is a lot of resentment over the product being put on the ice for the past decade...and we can't blame the fans one bit. I suspect it will take time for people to buy into this team given the stench left by the previous management group.

Teams typically call a game a "sellout" if there are less than 500 tickets remaining. It will be interesting to see what happens with the game tomorrow night as there appears to be close to 1500 blue dots available. Will they distribute several hundred seats to keep the sellout streak alive or will they simply leave the seats unsold...and thus the end of the streak?

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/edmonton-oilers-vs-philadelphia-flyers/event/110056F519733683

My ticket sales are down dramatically this year. Could be random coincidence or could be people are tapped out (I also have more expensive lower bowl seats).

Good news for my friends and family as I will be giving away games that don’t sell and I can’t make it to.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

I'm happy where the team is at. I'm also waiting for it all to come crashing down ( I honestly hope not). I also enjoy the fact that I can go out for food and drink somewhere to watch the game and I wouldn't even come close to spending the same amount of money each time.

Reactions: Nonamee

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Teams typically call a game a "sellout" if there are less than 500 tickets remaining
Which is a total crock of shit. I was watching the Hawks feed yesterday and they repeated at least ten times over the course of the broadcast that the game vs the Oilers represented their 500th sellout in a row. Then in the third period they ran an ad for tickets and stayed ‘there are good seats available for every game’. Htf does that work.

Reactions: Nonamee

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
There were a tonne of empty seats at the Philly game last night. Whole sections in the upper bowl practically empty.

No way was that a sell out. I will hate to see what happens if the Oilers start to fade in the standings.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
There were a tonne of empty seats at the Philly game last night. Whole sections in the upper bowl practically empty.

No way was that a sell out. I will hate to see what happens if the Oilers start to fade in the standings.

Noticed that on TV. Pretty crazy considering it’s an eastern team we only get to see once a year and the Oilers are hot.

Gregor got absolutely roasted for suggesting it could be partially tied to the economy but I can’t help but wonder if that’s a factor these days as well.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Which is a total crock of ****. I was watching the Hawks feed yesterday and they repeated at least ten times over the course of the broadcast that the game vs the Oilers represented their 500th sellout in a row. Then in the third period they ran an ad for tickets and stayed ‘there are good seats available for every game’. Htf does that work.

I think it might be because companies such as “StubHub” buy up a lot of the tickets. If they can’t sell some of those tickets due to high prices (they never sell at face value) then you are going to see some empty seats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad