Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I'd say if you are planning on cancelling to send a message to the organization just keep the tickets. There are plenty of people waiting in line that will buy them up, the Oilers don't care about resale values they only care about selling out.

If you like going and you can look at your cost per game and decide that the entertainment value you get is worth that cost then keep them!
Thats garbage. There are all sorts of people who will be cancelling. Its sending the message. There are all sorts of talk the Oilers are very, very concerned about it.
It would be great if there was a boycott. Should start a thread on that

Reactions: Drivesaitl

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Thats garbage. There are all sorts of people who will be cancelling. Its sending the message. There are all sorts of talk the Oilers are very, very concerned about it.
It would be great if there was a boycott. Should start a thread on that

Again as long as they sell out they won't care. Go on the facebook ticket sales groups, for every person saying they are giving up their tickets this year there is someone responding saying they will take the whole season from them next year.

I know my company is renewing their box, the corporate people still like to go for the socializing night out/eating/drinking.

All I am saying is that you need to ignore the 1% of fans that exist on these forums, the general public will be right back in the building next year.

Beerad

Aug 18, 2018
Edmonton
Then why did people who were 1,600 on the list last year get tickets? A lot of people cancelled, there’ll be many more this year with really nobody interested on the wait list.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Again as long as they sell out they won't care. Go on the facebook ticket sales groups, for every person saying they are giving up their tickets this year there is someone responding saying they will take the whole season from them next year.

I know my company is renewing their box, the corporate people still like to go for the socializing night out/eating/drinking.

All I am saying is that you need to ignore the 1% of fans that exist on these forums, the general public will be right back in the building next year.
I know all sorts , and I mean all sorts of STH. Loge, box. lower level & upper level. 90% of them are packing it in.
And they should be.
Katz does not give a shit about his customers. He only cares that they pay. And its been like that from day 1.
As I say , what really may have an effect is an organized boycott

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Then why did people who were 1,600 on the list last year get tickets? A lot of people cancelled, there’ll be many more this year with really nobody interested on the wait list.
It's like that every year, I think a lot of people pass and wait for better seats or are waiting for a good season. I would be shocked if they don't sell out again this summer.

I know all sorts , and I mean all sorts of STH. Loge, box. lower level & upper level. 90% of them are packing it in.
And they should be.
Katz does not give a **** about his customers. He only cares that they pay. And its been like that from day 1.
As I say , what really may have an effect is an organized boycott

I couldn't agree more about Katz, he is in it for the money (that's how you get rich in the first place). I also know a bunch of people giving them up but I still have a hard time believing they won't sell out again.

What I don't understand are people who are saying that they are going to give them up but are worried they will turn it around next year and they will regret it then. I am giving mine up but I want the Oilers to turn it around, I want nothing more than to watch them win a cup. That has no bearing on my giving up my seats.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Kudos to the season ticket holders raising their voices. No way Chia gets canned before the end of the season without it.

Threaten their bottom line!

Waiting lists don’t matter. The organization will know full well how many people are walking away. It has to concern them. Fans have stood by the team through an unacceptable stretch of futility. For people to bail now, with the playoffs only a couple points away, shows the incompetence will not be tolerated forever.

This may actually affect real change in the organization.

Thank you.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

Of course they say that, but when season tickets are 150 per ticket and retail is 130 per ticket after fees they sure as f*** won't be. Those are my real numbers this year. I am paying more than retail now. Every single sth should be cancelling for that fact alone.

Reactions: Nonamee

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

With all due respect anybody paying upwards of 7-10k or more for a couple of STH is getting taken to the cleaners from the outset. ROBBED. Its not like the team winning or losing substantially changes that equation.

I can't fathom what income, and disposable income, or perception of what is disposable income, is required to drop 10K on a couple STH every year. Jebus buy another investment property or something. Save for your retirement or kids. Spend something like this for 10years and you just dropped 100K . That's insane for an everage person, average income.

I get that people can do whatever they want with their money but frankly if you're giving that kind of money away and complaining about it in media it seems silly. Theres an easy answer, and that's just walk away from paying for the product that has been bad around 90% of the last seasons over the last almost 30yrs. This orgs team has been mostly bad for most of 3 decades now. Many of the people quoted in the article have hardly ever witnessed a time when the club has been anything but bad, and they're complaining about paying to see a bad team. What were they expecting?

At least buy something, or spend something on something that gives you joy. Not that aggravates you every night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Theres an old saying, and a lot of those addages should still be sayings..

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

One of the pundits complaining was fooled 12 consecutive times.

To their credit the younger couple figured out in 3years to walk away.

Its not an IQ test people.

Although it seems to be. Anybody that thought Chia was a good hire initially got somehow taken to the cleaners. I have no idea why it took several years and several bad deals for people to finally conclude that he was incompetent. This was always crystal clear. People in Boston warned us of this. The Seguin, Wheeler, Kessel trades warned us of this.

People saying Chia should have been fired 6mths ago or a month ago are incomprehensible to me. He should never have been hired. People bought the hire, hook line and sinker, believed every bit of this being a turnaround GM, and are now complaining about the same thing they believed in to drop 150K or so through the years..

What did you really get for that dough?

I dunno man.

Last edited:

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I'd say if you are planning on cancelling to send a message to the organization just keep the tickets. There are plenty of people waiting in line that will buy them up, the Oilers don't care about resale values they only care about selling out.

If you like going and you can look at your cost per game and decide that the entertainment value you get is worth that cost then keep them!

With all due respect this is the moronic attitude that keeps people buying tickets.

There are NOT plenty of people waiting in line to buy up tickets. Ask any season ticket holder. I got rid of mine in 2011 and since then family members had seats up until last season and couldn't give them away for free last year. Not sure how this year is but I imagine it's the same or worse.

Let other people buy the tickets, save your money. If you keep buying garbage they will keep serving you garbage.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008

I would bet a lot of money they don’t actually sell out next year.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Every single sth should be cancelling for that fact alone.

Exactly this ... 100% ... a hundred times ... every time.

I'll never trust the organization again after this new reality.

Last edited:

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
I would bet a lot of money they don’t actually sell out next year.

Seems like a sure thing to me.

Especially considering they didn't actually sell out this year ...

Sure they state that there are sellouts based on some arbitrary and unpublished criteria BUT season seats (including premium options such as suites and theater boxes) remained unsold. Mini packs didn't sell out. Single game seats remain/ed for sale for virtually every game. They started hustling group ticket sales for groups of 30 or more again ...

Unless the OEG actually means they Sold Out as in the common idiomatic pejorative expression for the compromising of a person's integrity, morality, authenticity, or principles in exchange for personal gain, such as money. ...

In which case, absolutely they sold out and will continue to do so in perpetuity.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
This was my first year without season tickets. Best decision I ever made.

What I found surprising about the process is they never asked me why I was cancelling or made any effort to retain me as a customer. They basically just kept calling and saying we need to know if you are renewing or not. It seemed more out of a legal obligation (i.e., we need to give this guy a certain number of tries before we can cancel the seats), than anything else.

The problem that they have is they think they will be okay because they have a waitlist. However, when a person gives up their ST, they are likely never going sign up again or go on a waitlist. That is likely a customer they have lost forever. I know I will never sign up to go on a waitlist. The problem is there are only so many people that will sign up for ST or that fits within their budget in this market. Plus everyone knows at least someone that has or had season tickets and can express how much of a bad deal it is. At some point you are going to run out of customers willing to commit.

I see the Jets having a similar problem at some point. They don't care about their STHers. Every STH that leaves is a customer likely never to come back. Maybe buy a couple games, but never a STHer again. They currently do not view a STHer leaving as an issue since they have a waitlist. When in reality it should be a big deal when someone gives up their tickets.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

We will see about that, after those high priced hefty upper end 3 year leases come due.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This was my first year without season tickets. Best decision I ever made.

What I found surprising about the process is they never asked me why I was cancelling or made any effort to retain me as a customer. They basically just kept calling and saying we need to know if you are renewing or not. It seemed more out of a legal obligation (i.e., we need to give this guy a certain number of tries before we can cancel the seats), than anything else.

The problem that they have is they think they will be okay because they have a waitlist. However, when a person gives up their ST, they are likely never going sign up again or go on a waitlist. That is likely a customer they have lost forever. I know I will never sign up to go on a waitlist. The problem is there are only so many people that will sign up for ST or that fits within their budget in this market. Plus everyone knows at least someone that has or had season tickets and can express how much of a bad deal it is. At some point you are going to run out of customers willing to commit.

I see the Jets having a similar problem at some point. They don't care about their STHers. Every STH that leaves is a customer likely never to come back. Maybe buy a couple games, but never a STHer again. They currently do not view a STHer leaving as an issue since they have a waitlist. When in reality it should be a big deal when someone gives up their tickets.

Plus you can’t count on people that have been on a wait list to automatically buy up the tickets when their chance comes. Things may have changed and they may have moved on.
And, by the way, your experience exactly mirrored mine after I told them we weren’t renewing our tickets this past year. Never once did they bother to find out why. Unbelievably arrogant, in my mind.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Plus you can’t count on people that have been on a wait list to automatically buy up the tickets when their chance comes. Things may have changed and they may have moved on.
And, by the way, your experience exactly mirrored mine after I told them we weren’t renewing our tickets this past year. Never once did they bother to find out why. Unbelievably arrogant, in my mind.

I'd be tempted as well to chalk it up to arrogance, but by default, considering this is the Oilers, I'd assume they have a totally inadequate information system or tracking of clients. Man, even furnace cleaning firms do lots of repeat follow up calls to see if you want your furnace and ducts cleaned. Albeit they do this way too much its interesting they have all that done and in that case a servicing is around 100-150bucks. they do that much follow through of cold calling people for 100-150bucks/visit.

Auto dealerships do the same calls and for getting your vehicle in for reservicing. Again small average cost but they do all that to get your sustained business.

The Oilers are selling STH for anywhere from 3-12K and they can't do the same customer service calls? haha

It just smells like incompetence one more way.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I am sure I’ve read plenty of posts by you railing on about STH being an issue in the past. If I am mistaken then I sincerely apologize.

I do not believe those that pay for games out of their hard earned money should be ostracized here. Lay the blame at the feet of those responsible for the OBC and our ridiculous failed management structure and hideously bad GM.

Sure lack of revenue will be a catalyst for change. That lack of revenue will be the lack of playoff revenue and the glory that is missed.

You don't know what Katz wants. I am of the understanding that his true passion now is real estate. The Oilers are just a play thing. Keeps his friends employed.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
My dad said there were only 8 people in his session, with a session before his as well. There was a mirror in the room so it sounds like the Oilers had some reps behind it.

Sounds like people were not happy. I'm convinced that the Oilers are going to lose a trade badly soon in a desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs and stop the bleeding of season ticket holders.

What a total lack of respect. They really have no shame now.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Virtually every game mid afternoon I get the email last minute tickets available so they must not be selling out unless its a premium Penguins or Leafs come to town type of game

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What a total lack of respect. They really have no shame now.

That is how these surveys are done. Ive been part of many from one of my businesses. It has nothing to do with respect. It’s how they are done. You are told you are being recorded and representatives may be watching. It’s about seeing real reactions in real time from real people getting asked real questions.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Virtually every game mid afternoon I get the email last minute tickets available so they must not be selling out unless its a premium Penguins or Leafs come to town type of game

Those are the ticket releases held for the visiting team. They are released at the same time for every home game and have been for decades.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You don't know what Katz wants. I am of the understanding that his true passion now is real estate. The Oilers are just a play thing. Keeps his friends employed.

Neither do you. His business is now development. That’s not any type of secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad