Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
meant to quote you....thanks for this information. Sales are brisk, eh....wow. I'm always amazed by our city! Thanks again!

Your welcome. I hope they do well. My wife and I had a look in the off chance we would move there once we were empty nesters but we couldn't see ourselves downtown after our entire lives on the south side, but I do admit it was very tempting.
(I also think I'd get vertigo on the 63rd floor with floor to ceiling windows...and the balcony....I'd be :cry:)

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Your welcome. I hope they do well. My wife and I had a look in the off chance we would move there once we were empty nesters but we couldn't see ourselves downtown after our entire lives on the south side, but I do admit it was very tempting.
(I also think I'd get vertigo on the 63rd floor with floor to ceiling windows...and the balcony....I'd be :cry:)

Not to mention nobody could save you if there was a fire. I'd never live above the 6rh floor in a building

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If I was going to spend over 1 million this live in Edmonton I'd much rather get a huge house in Windermere then a 1200sf apartment downtown.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If I was going to spend over 1 million this live in Edmonton I'd much rather get a huge house in Windermere then a 1200sf apartment downtown.

The largest are 1291 sq feet so nearly 1300 plus balcony for 14 units that large, and I think about 40 without a balcony that large, and with the floor to ceiling windows and open architecture all the units, even the small ones honestly look way larger than they are.

I think they are selling lifestyle, access and prestige, at least that is what it seemed to me. I think for the people who like idea of being at ground zero for what promises to be so many exciting moments going forward in and around ICE District and Rogers, and close to work if they work downtown as well, it will be pretty enticing.

But yeah, we thought about it and decided that daily lifestyle isn't for us and we like our nice quiet much larger and less expensive place we live in now. :)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The largest are 1291 sq feet so nearly 1300 plus balcony for 14 units that large, and I think about 40 without a balcony that large, and with the floor to ceiling windows and open architecture all the units, even the small ones honestly look way larger than they are.

I think they are selling lifestyle, access and prestige, at least that is what it seemed to me. I think for the people who like idea of being at ground zero for what promises to be so many exciting moments going forward in and around ICE District and Rogers, and close to work if they work downtown as well, it will be pretty enticing.

But yeah, we thought about it and decided that daily lifestyle isn't for us and we like our nice quiet much larger and less expensive place we live in now. :)

It's a great location if you're single and/or work downtown but if you have a family then the suburbs would be much better.

It's also a great place to live if you play or work for the Oilers. How many players can walk to the rink for practice or games? In a city like Edmonton we are pretty respectable with celebrity's so minus Mcdavid most players could make the walk without being bothered to much.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
It's a great location if you're single and/or work downtown but if you have a family then the suburbs would be much better.

It's also a great place to live if you play or work for the Oilers. How many players can walk to the rink for practice or games? In a city like Edmonton we are pretty respectable with celebrity's so minus Mcdavid most players could make the walk without being bothered to much.

True, but chances are they'll sell the 10 or so to players interested and if/when they move to other teams they'll retain the property and rent it out to whoever the team trades/signs after. I heard Ray Whitney had a property he rented out to guys for years. Not sure if he still does.

Not sure how many units are available but I see players taking a tiny sliver of the building's units.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
True, but chances are they'll sell the 10 or so to players interested and if/when they move to other teams they'll retain the property and rent it out to whoever the team trades/signs after. I heard Ray Whitney had a property he rented out to guys for years. Not sure if he still does.

Not sure how many units are available but I see players taking a tiny sliver of the building's units.

I understand a lot of players and the Oilers themselves bought next door at the exclusive and private Legends on top of the Marriott. There are I think 400+ units available on top of the Stantec tower.

werkitout

Oct 7, 2015
Edmonton
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2382991

Looks like some teams are eliminating the ability of STH to print PDF tickets...Boston, Carolina, San Jose, Nashville, New Jersey were the ones I noticed..bet it won't be long until this is league wide.

I know everyone and their dog has a smart phone, but it does seem a bit premature to live in a world where the only way you can get into a hockey game/event is with a mobile device. It will be interesting to see how things go.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I know everyone and their dog has a smart phone, but it does seem a bit premature to live in a world where the only way you can get into a hockey game/event is with a mobile device. It will be interesting to see how things go.

I realize that "99% of the world going to a game has a smart phone" but I for one know a couple of older people who I give tickets to that do NOT have smart phones (or cell phones at all believe it or not). I understand it but if it goes this way it will be really disappointing as I can't imagine these people getting a smart phone just so they can go to a game.

werkitout

Oct 7, 2015
Edmonton
I realize that "99% of the world going to a game has a smart phone" but I for one know a couple of older people who I give tickets to that do NOT have smart phones (or cell phones at all believe it or not). I understand it but if it goes this way it will be really disappointing as I can't imagine these people getting a smart phone just so they can go to a game.

100% agree. That's what I was trying to say.

Also, I finally get some people trained on how to accept their tickets through the Oilers Account &/or Ticketmaster and now they're going to say you can't print your tickets to PDF... pfft!!

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
100% agree. That's what I was trying to say.

Also, I finally get some people trained on how to accept their tickets through the Oilers Account &/or Ticketmaster and now they're going to say you can't print your tickets to PDF... pfft!!

Ya sorry I was agreeing with you, I should have made that more clear (my bad) :laugh:

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016
Anyone win the draw to purchase centennial celebration tickets? I got Wednesday at 4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thats why you have a balcony. And I guess you'd need experience in BASE jumping....:help::laugh:

jk aside I can never understand people living high up in highrises and not at least going out and buying a full body harness, clip ons, lowering pulley all in for around 200bucks. rated at 400lbs weight. You can buy this type of thing mail order though hardware stores, contractor stores, mountain stores etc.
With any practice it takes mere minutes to get down say 30-40 floors. I'm scared to shit of heights and I've rapelled up and down cliffs just to experience it and I live in a bungalow. Once you've done this a couple times you totally trust that it all supports your weight. The full body harness eases any fears. I bought one just for tree trimming and the like.

How would people not value their life enough to have one of these on hand ( you only need one set, next person just hauls up the rope and harness after use. Again with assistance of pulley as the weight of the length of rope required is considerable) A whole family could get down in 15mins. If not trusting the rating of the railing you can construct a bolt attachment right into your concrete patio deck floor. Special clamps also exist to secure. you can get bolt on's strong enough to secure a swing stage scaffold.. (the latter makes me wonder as well why ships require lifeboats and highrises don't require such things as an emergency swinging scaffold. Typical scaffolds can carry a few K weight and so 20 people at a time can get on and be lowered down. These things actually have motorized pulleys. (the swing stage equipment window cleaners often use. ) If a highrise had as many as 4 of these you would be able to exit everybody in the building.

Everytime theres one of these fires you see desperate people trying to string bedsheets together.. Why not have the proper equipment that will save your life and know how to use it? and or have the high rise feature proper equipment.

Afairc Edmonton emergency equipment goes up not even 15 floors. Beyond that you are on your own.

sorry about the ot

Last edited:

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
How many of you guys take advantage of the 2% pay in full option?
Did a couple times but haven’t been able to the last couple years because of diminished savings. Won’t even be able to keep my lower bowl seats after this year and hopefully can find some good ones in the upper bowl, as I can’t go to every game and the resale ticket market is going to be soft for a long time, I think. Even if they were healthily in a playoff spot, I think resale would be well below cost for the majority of games.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Everyone fill out the survey? Love some of the questions: "How would you rate the Oilers on ice performance this year" - Worse, About the same, Better. Lol, what do that expect people to say?

I added a comment that the perks of being a STH are negligible.

Renewals should be coming out soon, is everyone renewing? Very interested to see if they bump the prices 3% again.

Last edited:

HabOil

Aug 2, 2005
I was not too pleasant with my answers on the survey. Like you indicate the perks seem minimal.....speaking of, how did the signing event work out yesterday. Long lines, little chance to get McDavids signature and it appeared more collectors than fans getting signatures of the stars.

I might renew if they don’t bump the prices and I get someone who wants to take a quarter, third or half share with me. Anyone....anyone?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The only thing these surveys seem to change is the commercial break "entertainment" and crappy giveaways.

As for the season seat holder thing, they need to ask everyone upon entry who they want to see 100%, and let them know whether there is enough time to do so and give them a wrist band to line up for that player. Run through the line until it's done. If you get a second signature, good for you, but hopefully people can know immediately upon arrival that no you aren't getting a McDavid signature.

Olenkab29

Apr 25, 2016
I was not too pleasant with my answers on the survey. Like you indicate the perks seem minimal.....speaking of, how did the signing event work out yesterday. Long lines, little chance to get McDavids signature and it appeared more collectors than fans getting signatures of the stars.

I might renew if they don’t bump the prices and I get someone who wants to take a quarter, third or half share with me. Anyone....anyone?

I heard a rumour that Scotiabank (as the sponsors of the event) 'reserved' the first 400 McDavid signatures? We were lucky enough to get in that line, but we were literally at the front of the entry gates and RAN to the McDavid entrance, and they only let about 100 more people in...we were among that last at the end of the line, in the 'not guaranteed' signature group (meaning there were hundreds of people ahead of us). Anyone else hear this? Or am I just a slower runner in real life than I am in my mind? ;)

kissel87

Nov 18, 2015
Everyone fill out the survey? Love some of the questions: "How would you rate the Oilers on ice performance this year" - Worse, About the same, Better. Lol, what do that expect people to say?

I added a comment that the perks of being a STH are negligible.

Renewals should be coming out soon, is everyone renewing? Very interested to see if they bump the prices 3% again.

Over the past few weeks, I've thought long and hard about whether or not I'll be renewing my seasons. Recently came to the conclusion that I won't be. As you said, there are quite literally no perks to being a season ticket holder (except for guaranteed access to your same seat for the playoffs, which is no small thing, but this year is irrelevant anyway). I can buy similar seats for virtually any game (except for Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh) for the same price or most of the time even cheaper than what I pay with my season ticket price. Why keep them? The resale market has dried up substantially, I don't want to go to more than 10-12 or so games live anyway, and have a hell of a time moving the tickets that I can't/don't want to use, and I get no incentives or anything out of being a season ticket holder. Simply put, I can't find a good enough reason(s) to hold on to them.

I doubt I'm alone. But I'm curious to see how many others decide not to renew and how that plays out with the Oilers ticket pricing and overall approach to ticket sales - seasons, minipacks, and single games. I never imagined giving them up after 10 years. But here I am.

I know it may seem dumb - and it may well actually be dumb - but I'm really considering getting a minipack/"power pack" next year instead (but not one that has a rip-off preseason game included in it). They're priced really high, but, I can move down to the lower bowl, and have just a small handful of games that I look forward to and know well in advance that I'm going to those games - making a special night out and 'event' out of it instead of "Well, still have the tickets for tonight, might as well go...") And the kicker with minipacks/"power packs" is you DO get access to 1 playoff game per round. Technically, it's a "draw" or "lottery" or whatever they call it, but last year everyone I knew that had them were drawn and ended up getting a pair to one game per round.

Last edited:
Reactions: boredem and Simby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad