Speculation: Season Record and Placing Predictions

How many points will the Sens get this year?

• Total voters

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I already said I think they get mid 60's .. just saying its possible to be < 55. If they really do play hard and focus on their team D play they will be 60+

Yeah, was more meant for the people slotting the team in for sub-60 points. We're definitely on the same page on this one.

I just think people underestimate how hard it is to be (that) bad in a league with the loser point and some semblance of parity.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think they end up somewhere around 60/65 points. Loser points and back to backs along with teams playing their back up goalies against the sens will propel them to that number.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well the Sens last year had a much more talented group and got 64, so it certainly is possible.
The team last yr was also in disarray was it not? There were so many problems surrounding the team with the billboards, the owner, EK versus Hoffman, Ubergate, the coaching staff, attendance & everything else it seems that went wrong with this franchise, the list at times is overwhelming.

Clearly the coaching staff had lost the room, the best players in the room were UFAs who knew the owner couldn't afford them any more & so they were just waiting to be moved & at times played like it. Last yr's team quit in games a lot, hopefully these younger guys will not & this coaching staff will not let them quit either. While anything can happen in sports, I assume this team could earn anywhere from 65 pts to 75 pts, although even that seems optimistic to me, given they will again be a team in transition to younger players & still have a number of older players to move out. Hopefully, a player like Tkachuk might be able to carry this team with his hard work & determination & drag others with him. We'll see, but I would also like them to end up in the top 3 picks for the 2020 draft, so I'm also hoping they will be bad. It's a dichotomy.

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The team last yr was also in disarray was it not? There were so many problems surrounding the team with the billboards, the owner, EK versus Hoffman, Ubergate, the coaching staff, attendance & everything else it seems that went wrong with this franchise, the list at times is overwhelming.

Clearly the coaching staff had lost the room, the best players in the room were UFAs who knew the owner couldn't afford them any more & so they were just waiting to be moved & at times played like it. Last yr's team quit in games a lot, hopefully these younger guys will not & this coaching staff will not let them quit either. While anything can happen in sports, I assume this team could earn anywhere from 65 pts to 75 pts, although even that seems optimistic to me, given they will again be a team in transition to younger players & still have a number of older players to move out. Hopefully, a player like Tkachuk might be able to carry this team with his hard work & determination & drag others with him. We'll see, but I would also like them to end up in the top 3 picks for the 2020 draft, so I'm also hoping they will be bad. It's a dichotomy.
Much of what you listed was from 2 years ago.

Why not just take a stab at the exact number?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You missed the sarcasm emoji, you big baby

Clearly, you missed the reason for my post.

Feel free to avoid getting tied down to a number. No big deal either way, just fun bragging rights later on for those who are close.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Wow, sorry Sensung.
If you are too afraid to post a real prediction we won't hold it against you.

Only one poster has chosen to laugh at other people's selections.

I was not laughing at selections. I will keep your sensitivity in mind for future responses.

A valiant effort in trying to stir the pot.

Reactions: coladin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm thinking high 70's, low 80's.

If ya'll are so confident that we'll finish dead last again, bodog has our over/under at 70.5 (which is actually higher than last year).

Go put your money where your mouth is.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

If ya'll are so confident that we'll finish dead last again, bodog has our over/under at 70.5 (which is actually higher than last year).

Interesting.

Which team do they have in 31st and with how many points?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Much of what you listed was from 2 years ago.

Why not just take a stab at the exact number?

I assume you mean pick a number from the pole above? And I did that, I selected the 70 games box, but I also did mention in my post that I thought that was an optimistic number. I also "liked" a couple of posts who suggested a lower number which I also think is quite possible.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

You also win less money if you bet on the under, as they believe under 70 is the more likely outcome.

They are predicted by bodog to finish 31st in the league, the 30th overall team (LA) is set at 74.5

Could have sworn the Sens were at 74.5 last year when I placed my wager

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You also win less money if you bet on the under, as they believe under 70 is the more likely outcome.

They are predicted by bodog to finish 31st in the league, the 30th overall team (LA) is set at 74.5

Could have sworn the Sens were at 74.5 last year when I placed my wager

Least year they were 69.5

Also, it doesn't mean they believe under 70 is the more likely outcome. It just means more people have been betting the under. They move the lines to incentivize people to bet the over to balance it out so that they're in a win-win position whether the Sens finish over or under.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Least year they were 69.5

Also, it doesn't mean they believe under 70 is the more likely outcome. It just means more people have been betting the under. They move the lines to incentivize people to bet the over to balance it out so that they're in a win-win position whether the Sens finish over or under.
Correct, I misspoke

The last team to finish last in the league with at least 70 points was in 07-08, and that's the only time it's happened since the introduction of the shootout. It would be very odd for the last place team to finish with over 70 points, it's a very strange line. If you think they are a 31st team, smart money is on the under.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I predicted 66 points last year for a team with better players including Stone, Duchene, etc.).
This year the results will probably be less, so 25 Wins Plus 10 Ties = 60 points and I think that is being optimistic. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The roster itself is significantly worse than last year, but there are two variables that can drastically swing things;

1. Goaltending. Anderson isn't what he once was, but the combo of him and Nilson all year could easily still outperform last years goaltending that included sub .900 sv% performances by McKenna, Daccord, Condon and Hogberg.

2. Coaching. This one is a wildcard as the current group has no real track record. Having said that, Boucher had gone stale, his tactics figured out by opposition, and he and his staff had lost the room if Ubergate is any indication.

I also think it is really hard to finish below 60 pts.

I doubt that Anderson will bounce back at his age, due to shell-shock, as this team is going to be playing in its own end of the ice more often than not due to the lack of puck-possession players.
Coaching is not going to help much when the GM has decimated the team and brought in low cost personnel. Plus there is evidence to suggest that this coaching staff has people on it who have already tried at the NHL elevl and failed, similar to the last set of coaches.
Yes, it will be hard to finish below 60 but I have to give Dorion credit for putting together a team which probably will achieve that.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

So the last 5 years the 31st place teams had 64, 62, 48, 69, and 54.

Looking at the Sens roster and historical trends, the under seems the smart play.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't see Tkachuk, nor Chabot, being able to carry this team without other quality talent as they will be virtually alone. There will not be any Stones or Duchene's available to support them. White will be OK but he is not a first line center. I think Dzingle has been replaced perhaps more than adequately by Duclair but that will not be enough. I am really hoping for lottery draft luck to fall on us at the end of this season so we can draft one of the top 3 prospects.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see Tkachuk, nor Chabot, being able to carry this team without other quality talent as they will be virtually alone. There will not be any Stones or Duchene's available to support them. White will be OK but he is not a first line center. I think Dzingle has been replaced perhaps more than adequately by Duclair but that will not be enough. I am really hoping for lottery draft luck to fall on us at the end of this season so we can draft one of the top 3 prospects.

Agreed, but the hope is that a few of the prospects they already have should eventually rise to the occasion & be decent to very good NHL players. While I agree White is not a #1 centre he could turn out to be a lite version of Bergeron or similar to Turris which isn't great, but not bad either.

Batherson, Formenton, Brannstrom & L. Brown who I see as a future #1 centre for this team could all help to make the team better & would add some size, grit & skill to the lineup. I also agree that the 2020 draft should add another two or three quality players, if not more. However, given how this GM & scouting staff drafted last yr I'm not all that optimistic they will select the kind of players I would like to see them draft.

Time will tell if this GM had the wherewithal to draft, trade & acquire the proper acquisitions to build a playoff & contending team or if it turns out like some believe that he's an incompetent GM & was completely the wrong choice to rebuild this team.

Reactions: Cosmix

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I’m going to take the optimistic route. I say we don’t finish bottom-5 and end up with ~83pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad