Speculation: Season Record and Placing Predictions

How many points will the Sens get this year?

• Total voters

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lots of prolific posters who have yet to call their shot...

Let’s hear how you think the Sens will do this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The roster itself is significantly worse than last year, but there are two variables that can drastically swing things;

1. Goaltending. Anderson isn't what he once was, but the combo of him and Nilson all year could easily still outperform last years goaltending that included sub .900 sv% performances by McKenna, Daccord, Condon and Hogberg.

2. Coaching. This one is a wildcard as the current group has no real track record. Having said that, Boucher had gone stale, his tactics figured out by opposition, and he and his staff had lost the room if Ubergate is any indication.

I also think it is really hard to finish below 60 pts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think a lot of teams are going to consider us an afterthought going into the season - we might fly under the radar early, earning us points we shouldn't be getting

I think that happened last season as well so I'm not sure it will change things relative to prior performance.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think we'll surprise and get over 50 points. Most teams will play their backups against us, won't take us seriously so we'll score a few extra goals and pick up a handful of loser points we otherwise shouldn't.

I'll say 56 points.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think people calling for sub 60 are out to lunch. It's REALLY hard to completely bottom out like that (for context, we didn't even get there the last 2 seasons). They're also ignoring the "new coach bump" that will inevitably happen under DJ Smith (we've seen absolutely awful coaches like Clouston and Cameron get the bump). Couple that with playing a ton of games against backups and I think we'll be in the 68-73 point range.

Reactions: aragorn

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think people calling for sub 60 are out to lunch. It's REALLY hard to completely bottom out like that (for context, we didn't even get there the last 2 seasons). They're also ignoring the "new coach bump" that will inevitably happen under DJ Smith (we've seen absolutely awful coaches like Clouston and Cameron get the bump). Couple that with playing a ton of games against backups and I think we'll be in the 68-73 point range.

Well the Sens last year had a much more talented group and got 64, so it certainly is possible.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
When I was a kid, I was at a bar in the market after a Sens game and a lot of the Flyers were there. I asked Eric Lindros if playing against Ottawa was like playing against a real NHL team (because at the time, we were very, very bad). He laughed and shook his head. He wasn't being mean spirited either. Just honest that the Sens were never taken seriously.

I feel like we're back in those days.

I think it was the 95-96 season. That year the Sens went 18W 59L 5T for 41 points. I'll be generous and say we hit 49 pts.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well the Sens last year had a much more talented group and got 64, so it certainly is possible.

The post-deadline group wasn't nearly as good as this group is, imo.

I hear what you're saying, because we had the "big-3" UFA's for a chunk of the season, but to me that was (more than) off-set by having a lame duck coach and some of the worst goaltending this franchise has ever seen.

I have a hard time seeing "new" DJ Smith being as bad (i.e as tuned out) as late stage Boucher was and I have a hard time seeing the teams goaltending (as sub-par as it currently is) being quite as bad as last years debacle.

Coaching goes a long way in this league, and if the young group has bought in to DJ's message their is absolutely going to be an inevitable bump in play, which (should) translate to a few more points in the standings, imo.

Reactions: Crosside

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The post-deadline group wasn't nearly as good as this group is, imo.

I hear what you're saying, because we had the "big-3" UFA's for a chunk of the season, but to me that was (more than) off-set by having a lame duck coach and some of the worst goaltending this franchise has ever seen.

I have a hard time seeing "new" DJ Smith being as bad (i.e as tuned out) as late stage Boucher was and I have a hard time seeing the teams goaltending (as sub-par as it currently is) being quite as bad as last years debacle.

Coaching goes a long way in this league, and if the young group has bought in to DJ's message their is absolutely going to be an inevitable bump in play, which (should) translate to a few more points in the standings, imo.
Some good points and these kind of predictions are always a crap shoot.

Still, I think you are underestimating the impact of Stone and Duchene and expecting our goaltending to bounce back while running Anderson out there is dubious.

This roster is horrendous.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Definitely could
2016-17 Avs had 48

That's such an outlier season though. I mean, it's possible for the Sens too given the lack of talent, but the Avs are the only team to drop below 50 points post-lockout. Heck, there's only been a few teams that have dipped below the 60 point mark post lockout. It's just so hard to be THAT bad.

Sens could obviously do it, but everything would have to go wrong. I don't think the same negativity is there this season for the wheels to fall off completely like that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's such an outlier season though. I mean, it's possible for the Sens too given the lack of talent, but the Avs are the only team to drop below 50 points post-lockout. Heck, there's only been a few teams that have dipped below the 60 point mark post lockout. It's just so hard to be THAT bad.

Sens could obviously do it, but everything would have to go wrong. I don't think the same negativity is there this season for the wheels to fall off completely like that.
I already said I think they get mid 60's .. just saying its possible to be < 55. If they really do play hard and focus on their team D play they will be 60+

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you are too afraid to post a real prediction we won't hold it against you.

Only one poster has chosen to ridicule other people's selections.
You missed the sarcasm emoji, you big baby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad