Season Preview: Coming Back to Earth?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
All things considered, I'm most curious to see how Price comes back from the playoff debacle.

Two things:

1) Your analysis is massively shallow and superficial. You didn't even apply yourself.
2a) Carey's performance in the playoffs was not a debacle, you should know this. He had a bad stretch coming into the playoffs but not the playoffs themselves.
2b) The debacle was in fact the Habs' SWARM-style defense. But you wouldn't know that, now would you?

3/10

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Two things:
2a) Carey's performance in the playoffs was not a debacle, you should know this. He had a bad stretch coming into the playoffs but not the playoffs themselves.
You're right Price had a great playoffs, I have complete confidence in his mental fortitude.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Two things:

1) Your analysis is massively shallow and superficial. You didn't even apply yourself.
2b) The debacle was in fact the Habs' SWARM-style defense. But you wouldn't know that, now would you?

3/10

Lose on first shot when Budaj comes in.
Budaj gets blown out in game 5.
Play-off debacle for Price.
Can't explain that.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
You're right Price had a great playoffs, I have complete confidence in his mental fortitude.

You know there's a difference between debarle and great.

Tell me in the 4 games Price played in that playoffs, how many did he really shat the bed.

No doubt Anderson won the best goalie contest... but to say it was a debacle for Price is just plain wrong.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think the club will come back down to Earth a bit this season simply because the division got tougher with the addition of Detroit. Yah, the Wings are old, but they're incredibly well coached and the hockey IQ of their roster is as good as it gets.

I'm not expecting a significant slump for either Gally. They steadily got better as last year wore on - when teams could have been ready for them.

In a nutshell, the season hinges on Price. Defense will be about the same, which is average. Carey needs to be more consistent. He needs to steal a game or two, but not many. He needs to eliminate the weak and/or deflating goal. If he plays to his ability every night, things will be fine.

Boston should be at or near the top. Detroit will be in the thick of it. Can Anderson be a wall again? Is there enough offense in their lineup with Alfie gone and Spezza one hit away from the IR? Can Bernier and Reimer do enough for the Leafs? The Buds will score goals, but can they keep the puck out of their own net?

Carey playing to his ability puts the Habs in the top 3 in the division imo. If he's average, top 4-5. If he struggles ...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
You mailed it in on that one, Price wasn't 'great' for the most part last season. I'd say our defense is a bigger concern than our goaltending or the Gallys being affected by the sophomore jynx. By the way, how the hell are Detroit's forwards bigger and tougher than us? Also maybe you should have mentionned a couple of other factors for our quick playoff exit instead of pointing fingers at Price.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
The way the team outplayed every single adversary last year in pretty much all the departments ( except the pens ), I have no reason to believe that our squad won't be a top-tier team.

Most of what happened in the PO was due to the team's lack of PO experience from the rookies, but most importantly a career high performance by Anderson almost as good as Halak's in 2010.

The team gained experience and since our core is averaging 21 years old ( Price the oldest at 25 ), it's safe to say that there is a lot more + to come than -...

Price can be an issue for sure, but I believe that with a new goalie coach that things will change.

This team is amazing on paper, size is becoming an irrelevant issue with the new players in place but just with a look on our prospect pool there is simply no room to argue that this team won't be a small in the future. The balance we have between young talent and solid veterans is making teams like the Oilers extremely envious... Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Pacioretty/ Plekanec, Bourque, Markov, Gionta, Briere.

I just don't see how time can be bad for this team... If I was Detroit, Vancouver or The Devils I'd be worried about time and I would start asap to trade-down for the future of my franchise or to make a blockbuster trade to get me what I need to win it all.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
The way the team outplayed every single adversary last year in pretty much all the departments ( except the pens ), I have no reason to believe that our squad won't be a top-tier team.

Most of what happened in the PO was due to the team's lack of PO experience from the rookies, but most importantly a career high performance by Anderson almost as good as Halak's in 2010.

The team gained experience and since our core is averaging 21 years old ( Price the oldest at 25 ), it's safe to say that there is a lot more + to come than -...

Price can be an issue for sure, but I believe that with a new goalie coach that things will change.

This team is amazing on paper, size is becoming an irrelevant issue with the new players in place but just with a look on our prospect pool there is simply no room to argue that this team won't be a small in the future. The balance we have between young talent and solid veterans is making teams like the Oilers extremely envious... Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Pacioretty/ Plekanec, Bourque, Markov, Gionta, Briere.

I just don't see how time can be bad for this team... If I was Detroit, Vancouver or The Devils I'd be worried about time and I would start asap to trade-down for the future of my franchise or to make a blockbuster trade to get me what I need to win it all.

Amazing on paper? We have question marks almost everywhere in our line up. All cup contenders teams' 2nd line are better than our 1st line, I'm talking about the Bruins, Pens, Kings, Blackhawks. So yeah, AMAZING its a big word, it looks good until you compare it with other teams.

The lack of size will be a problem when the games are more physical and tight, which is in the playoffs. Briere, Plekanec, Gionta, Gallagher, DD on the top 9 is a problem.

Price hasn't prove anything yet in the playoffs. His stats are horrible for a no. 1.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Amazing on paper? We have question marks almost everywhere in our line up. All cup contenders teams' 2nd line are better than our 1st line, I'm talking about the Bruins, Pens, Kings, Blackhawks. So yeah, AMAZING its a big word, it looks good until you compare it with other teams.

The lack of size will be a problem when the games are more physical and tight, which is in the playoffs. Briere, Plekanec, Gionta, Gallagher, DD on the top 9 is a problem.

Price hasn't prove anything yet in the playoffs. His stats are horrible for a no. 1.

It's a very balanced lineup, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Subban, Pacioretty have very high ceilings.

We finished 3rd overall last year, OK its only half a season... but it was a half-season where any team tried to push for an easier cup.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

It's funny how the last statement is always brought up although he had great stats in 2011 behind a crappy defense and some good numbers against Boston in his rookie season.

As for your other statement, those players other than DD have proven themselves in the PO.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011

We overachieved last year.

We'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

Our veterans are mediocre other than Markov when he's healthy.

But, you're correct in that Subban, Patches, Gally etc. represent some hope for the future. However, especially with respect to Galchenyuk and Gallagher, there will be some sophomore slumping this year as teams are well aware of how good they are now and won't be looking past them in their game plans.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011

Yup, bang on. Not delusional like so many of the others. If we had some better veterans with size to complement our young studs we'd be a lot more respectable.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It's a very balanced lineup, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Subban, Pacioretty have very high ceilings.

True, but as of this season, we are FAR from having a AMAZING line up, especially when you compare it with other teams.

If you consider our line up amazing, then what do you think about the Bruins, Pens, Flyers, Sens and even the Leafs?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Well.. let's compare the top 9.

Pacioretty-DD-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher

vs.

Scott Hartnell-Claude Giroux-Jakub Voracek
Brayden Schenn-Vincent Lecavalier-Wayne Simmonds
??-Sean Couturier-Matt Read

vs.

James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul-Nazem Kadri-David Clarkson
Mason Raymond-Dave Bolland-Nikolai Kulemin

So you think our top 9 is that much superior compared to the Flyers and Leafs?

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
What's so funny? Just cause Flyers didn't make the playoffs doesn't mean they have a bad lineup. In fact their forward lineup I would say is superior to Habs with more toughness. Their problem has always been the goaltending but they still managed to make to finals. I wouldn't underestimate them too much because of where they finished last year. Their lineup certainly didn't reflect the position they finished in, much like Habs 2 years ago.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
People are blinded by the all stars on the top lines on the other big name teams but the CH have depth in all positions on the top 9 that others don't have. Our 3rd line is a better offensive threat than most of those other teams, and the Habs D has really excellent offensive depth as well.

Last season Montreal was 4th in league for goals for, and 3rd in league for differential. If the Habs can maintain that offensive production, and Price can get his low 2013 .905 save % back up to his career .915, or higher, they will stay in the top spots.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
True, but as of this season, we are FAR from having a AMAZING line up, especially when you compare it with other teams.

If you consider our line up amazing, then what do you think about the Bruins, Pens, Flyers, Sens and even the Leafs?

Leafs have nowhere near the same level of talent we have on our team, it's not necessarily a bad thing since they the grit and size to win, but they will struggle against the pens and the bruins and us.

The pens will keep being a contender with their talent and they'll be in for 1st or 2nd.

The bruins have done a lot by adding Iginla, but Chara has never been the best skater out there and with him reaching 37 years old, a performance drop from him might mean a lot of bad things for this team... I don't see the bruins past the 2nd round without Chara. So this team is gonna rely on three players Bergeron (28), Iginla (36), Chara (36), the rest of the lineup is very solid depth.

I always loved Simmonds and with Couturier and Lecavalier I think this team can be a solid lock for the PO 2nd or 3rd... Giroux will have a good year, the Flyers will in my opinion be the team to beat in the Metropolitan division in the 3 years.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011

Pacioretty-DD-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta

vs.

Danny Cleary-Sean Couturier-Matt Read

vs.

The Flyers have much better centers and the Leafs have much better wingers. Both top 9's are definitively superior than ours.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Leafs have nowhere near the same level of talent we have on our team, it's not necessarily a bad thing since they the grit and size to win, but they will struggle against the pens and the bruins and us.

The pens will keep being a contender with their talent and they'll be in for 1st or 2nd.

The bruins have done a lot by adding Iginla, but Chara has never been the best skater out there and with him reaching 37 years old, a performance drop from him might mean a lot of bad things for this team... I don't see the bruins past the 2nd round without Chara. So this team is gonna rely on three players Bergeron (28), Iginla (36), Chara (36), the rest of the lineup is very solid depth.

I always loved Simmonds and with Couturier and Lecavalier I think this team can be a solid lock for the PO 2nd or 3rd... Giroux will have a good year, the Flyers will in my opinion be the team to beat in the Metropolitan division in the 3 years.

Look, none of us like giving the Leafs credit, but the bolded comment is just delusional.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004

Pacioretty-DD-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta

vs.

Danny Cleary-Sean Couturier-Matt Read

vs.

I think that success in the NHL has more to do with how the team plays as a whole and not if it has a stacked top-9. The Habs' Fenwick Close and goal differential were top 10 last year and should only improve this year.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
People are blinded by the all stars on the top lines on the other big name teams but the CH have depth in all positions on the top 9 that others don't have. Our 3rd line is a better offensive threat than most of those other teams, and the Habs D has really excellent offensive depth as well.

Last season Montreal was 4th in league for goals for, and 3rd in league for differential. If the Habs can maintain that offensive production, and Price can get his low 2013 .905 save % back up to his career .915, or higher, they will stay in the top spots.
All that brought us zero in the playoffs, our lineup is still not battle tested and has not proven it can be consistent when it counts. Leafs lineup fared much better in the playoffs then our did and we all know Flyers forwards are much more battle tested and successful in the playoffs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Two things:

3/10

If you didn't see Price as a playoff debacle you must believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. :shakehead

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
All that brought us zero in the playoffs, our lineup is still not battle tested and has not proven it can be consistent when it counts. Leafs lineup fared much better in the playoffs then our did and we all know Flyers forwards are much more battle tested and successful in the playoffs.

The Leafs went further because Reimer played very well while Price crapped the bed and we finished with 5-6 regulars out of the lineup.

The Flyers don't even look like a playoff team let alone "playoff tested".

Their forwards lack depth, their defense is slow and their goaltending is a huge question mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad