Season Passes

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Do people buy these? I am curious. I buy a game, play through it and that is it. The small bit of DLC(season pass stuff). I can not bring myself to play through the entire game again.

For example, just recently, the FO4 season pass is there - the game was fine but I am not going back and now the Deux Ex season pass - I will play through the game but that is it - and even worse is the way Hitman has been done. I know this has been a thing for a while, but, for me, I rarely play through a game more than once. Do people play games more than once/twice max? I am genuinely curious as all these DLC's come out months after???...

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Kind of depends. I will never buy them before the content is released. If I read good things about the released content, I'll pick it up.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Depends, for the most part no. However if it's for a game franchise that I know I'll play the DLCs and it has a proven track record for doing good DLCs, I'll do it.

For example, if the new Mass Effect game has a season pass, I'll grab it in a heartbeat because every Mass Effect story-based DLC is excellent and I play all of them.

As for the second sub-question about beating a game multiple times: Similar to above, not normally, but I will for my favorite games. To use Mass Effect as an example again, I've probably played that trilogy at least 3-5 times in total, and have played through portions of it at least 10 times.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I am genuinely curious as all these DLC's come out months after???...

This is basically why I never get them. Most DLCs in the types of games I play are post-game content like an extra quest area or something. But by the time they come out I've already finished the game and moved on.

So usually what ends up happening is I get the DLC and play them much later when they are cheaper than even the season pass price.

MP games with community split and such are a different matter but I generally avoid MP games with these things anyway.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I've bought 2. Black Ops 3 & Witcher 3.

There are some good value ones, but most are a ripoff.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I would say there isn't much point

A lot of the time you don't even save money getting the season pass you can just buy the individual dlc for the same price

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The only season passes I have ever bought are for Bioshock Infinite and for Witcher 3. I bought both because I loved both games so much I wanted to support the developers. The Bioshock Infinite DLC was OK, thought the Rapture DLC could have been better and the wave one was so pointless I didn't even play it. Witcher 3 expansion packs were phenomenal and I'm really glad I bought those.

I haven't bought any others. I see it as a great way for me to show the developers some extra support. Unfortunately with the way things are and how many games there are out there, no games really hold my interest enough for me to want to go back when DLC is released months after I already beat it. Maybe I'll buy the DLC packs a couple years later if I just bought the game and am just starting it, but if the game just came out, I likely won't ever buy the season passes unless the game blew me away.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yes I buy some. Only. For the games I put 200-300 hours in. Since you save money by doing it

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Well Season Passes have progressed and I won't be buying many of them. They used to include all DLC content but some of them are actually just for a season now... Evolve, Forza... they can screw off.

I will be getting GOW4 edition because it's specific about what you're getting. It was nice that Halo 5 had no cost for DLC, everything is free with a ton of content.

The other problem with Season passes is are you even playing the game six months later. Just wait and pass on the pass. Remember when DLC just cost early and everyone else got it free eventually.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I bought the FO4 season pass, which is kinda nice because I havent sued any of the DLC yet. So once the final piece is released next week I'll get all the DLC at once and a lot more game.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Feel a bit ripped off by the Fallout 4 one, say 6 DLC packs and then 4 are basically settlement building tools. Felt like a bait and switch.
Not doing it again.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
The last season pass I bought was for Destiny, and while it wasn't great I still got my money out of it with the amount of time put in.

I would probably pull the trigger on a Borderlands season pass. You can say a lot of bad things about Gearbox but they certainly understand the proper practices involved with DLC.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I buy the regular version of the game, not extra content or deluxe versions. NBA2K16 is my favorite game and 2017 looks even better, but I'm only pre-ordering the regular version to get the Dream Team, but I'm not paying extra for bells and whistles that I don't need. I've never watched the extras on dvds either, but that's real man stuff too advanced for HF posters. ;)

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
For single player games I don't because I'll have finished it and moved on before it comes out. I sell my single player games as soon as I'm done with them.

I do regret missing out on the Witcher stuff, that's the only time I've cared.

I do like getting season pass for COD because I know I'll still be playing it and will want all the map packs.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have, and I won't anymore outside of the extremely rare exception.

Part of that is because of the type of gamer I am (once a game is put back on my shelf it generally stays there...haven't touched Fallout 4 since any of the DLC I paid for was implemented), and part of that is because it's so rarely worth the money.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
The only ones I've gotten are for the Souls games, but that's because their content is always good and I play through those games at least 4 or 5 times each.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Never bought one. If Borderlands 3 comes with a season pass I'll probably buy it because I will play through the game and the DLC a dozen times each anyway, so I'll definitely get my money's worth out of it. I almost never buy DLC in general.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I purchased two season passes so far: Borderlands 2 and Witcher 3.

Borderlands 2 was a bit of a waste because I play solo and the single player campaign was more than long enough that I wasn't looking for more after it (really enjoyed the game though!).

Witcher 3 was outstanding however, amazing value and everyone who enjoyed the main game should get it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The Witcher 3 is the only case I can think of off hand where it looks like it was worth it....because the words "paid DLC" seem to translate to "expansion pack" in Polish.

For me, Battlefield 3's "premium" was probably worth it, but I played the metric **** out of that game.

The vast majority of the time, you're better off cherry picking which DLC you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad