Season Over? Not so fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OntCanuck

Feb 18, 2005
Simcoe, Ontario
Once again we are left with lots of rhetoric and very few FACTS. The PA side is saying that the owners didn't move up to 45 and might have even taken some things out of there last proposal. The league is saying that the union would have come down to 45 but wanted linkage in only a positive light. Where the cap would go up as the revenues went up but wouldn't go down next year. Which makes me scratch my head since the union wanted no part of linkage before even though before this work stopage the leagues revenues had done nothing but rise. :shakehead

One good thing is that when you see a guy like Burkie (helped work on the last CBA) and Healy (recent ex player) are so angry at the other side it's obvious that both sides have moved to positions they didn't want to be in. Which is where both will have to be for this to work. Even though most players have made me swear at my TV with their funny coloured sky answers. It was good to see many of them were obviously cheering for something to get solved last night so they could get back to work.

Also the evil demanding small market teams theory really falls on it's face when the two guys pushing for the new agreement were from possibly the two worst off teams (Pitt and Phx).

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
espion said:
Give it up. You are the only person saying that talksare going on. And you have NOTHING to back it up. Didn't you hear the tone and mood that Gretzky, Saskin, etc... were in?

Nothing to back it up? I'm backing it up with history. We've been jerked around for 5 weeks, it's getting predicatble in the dialoge they use. "no more talks scheduled" is BS.

Why naysay? Does it make you feel better that you're "right" about the season being dead? I hope you feel better.

Last edited:

MmmBacon

Dec 2, 2004
If your reason for optimism is the link you posted, I didn't get the same vibe. The NHL official communications have always been civil and somewhat upbeat, and this was no different. But anyone who saw interviews today would be hard pressed to see much reason for optimism. The tone was definitely negative, and different than it was even on Wednesday.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
MmmBacon said:
If your reason for optimism is the link you posted, I didn't get the same vibe. The NHL official communications have always been civil and somewhat upbeat, and this was no different. But anyone who saw interviews today would be hard pressed to see much reason for optimism. The tone was definitely negative, and different than it was even on Wednesday.
I have other reasons. The relative silence tonight (do you hear the crickets?) Jay McKee's comments on 590. The rumor that the PA hasnt left NY. No deal was ever proposed, but they agreed in principle on 45m. Gretzky saying there was progress at the meetings.

I've been saying it in other threads but:

The NHL came to the meetings today and divided promptly when issues like Arbitration and Free Agency wrecked the train. But what really set this in motion were the renegade owners who sought to block this from going through. The Owners saw this and probably pulled his troops out of the fire. He can't conduct a valid negotiation if he has owners divided on these issues. Tonight's silence means that the owners are meeting amongst themselves in an attempt to mend their own divide. Inversely, I think the Players are doing the same thing.

Key facts still remain: Neither side has yet to put this to a vote, and Saskin specifically has not given a reason why he hasnt put it to vote when clearly the Media rumors have been fueling a much different picture of what the PA has been trying to paint. Neither Gary Bettman or Bob Goodenow have been called in, who are both seen as the finishers of this deal.

Do you honestly expect Bill Daly to execute this deal ahead of Gary? This is his brainchild.

This isnt over guys... As much as people want to put a knife in it, its not done. Tomorrow is going to be a whole new day and I expect this board to be burning when I wake up in the AM.

Last edited:

ttoad4000t

Dec 14, 2004
Fort Worth, Texas
futurcorerock said:
I have other reasons. The relative silence tonight (do you hear the crickets?) Jay McKee's comments on 590. The rumor that the PA hasnt left NY. No deal was ever proposed, but they agreed in principle on 45m. Gretzky saying there was progress at the meetings.

I've been saying it in other threads but:

The NHL came to the meetings today and divided promptly when issues like Arbitration and Free Agency wrecked the train. But what really set this in motion were the renegade owners who sought to block this from going through. Gary Bettman saw this and probably pulled his troops out of the fire. He can't conduct a valid negotiation if he has owners divided on these issues. Tonight's silence means that the owners are meeting amongst themselves in an attempt to mend their own divide. Inversely, I think the Players are doing the same thing.

Key facts still remain: Neither side has yet to put this to a vote, and Saskin specifically has not given a reason why he hasnt put it to vote when clearly the Media rumors have been fueling a much different picture of what the PA has been trying to paint.

This isnt over guys... As much as people want to put a knife in it, its not done. Tomorrow is going to be a whole new day and I expect this board to be burning when I wake up in the AM.

if you are right, I will send you a batch of cookies.

greatlakeshab

Jan 26, 2005
If you are right, I will send you a batch of cookies.

I almost want to hold you to that :joker:

Are you sure these cookies are fresh or they were made last year for the beginning 200-405 season? :lol

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Ok more proof...

EKLUND is quiet tonight. No rumors, no nothin'

Normally he'd be yapping it up, but now he's got a "peition" on his website that will purportedly show the NHL and the Players what it meant to be loved by fans, then hated.

Eklund will be celebrated in a ticker-tape parade through Philadelphia for his continued service to the good of all humanity and being instrumental in the saving of the NHL.

/sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad