Season Outlook: Arizona Coyotes

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Sound like Hjalmarsson hurt his leg - don't know much on it...

Edit: sounds okay - Bissonnette reacted like he was in some real pain...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Damnit! I hope Hjalmarsson is okay. If he misses time than Lyubushkin is a shoe-in for the interim.

Tocchet appears to be impressed with Bushka so if Nik is out for any stretch, look for the Mad Russian to take his spot.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think this is wishful thinking. Raanta has never played 60+ games, let alone being able to do it at a .922 pace. He would win the Vezina, thats a los to expect. I do hope you are right, we make the playoffs if we are top 5 in GAA.
12 goalies played 60+ games last year, another 5 had 55+, Raanta played in 47. If he can't get to at least 55 games, we're in trouble. At the top of the "must have" list for 2018-2019 in order to be successful.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
12 goalies played 60+ games last year, another 5 had 55+, Raanta played in 47. If he can't get to at least 55 games, we're in trouble. At the top of the "must have" list for 2018-2019 in order to be successful.
Agreed, but its not a given he can do it or do it at a Vezina pace. I would call 60 games and top 10 in GAA a success and also likely enough for the playoffs.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Agreed, but its not a given he can do it or do it at a Vezina pace. I would call 60 games and top 10 in GAA a success and also likely enough for the playoffs.
He's a small goalie who is injury prone. I'd be shocked if he played in that many games. I guess he's in better shape this training camp but I don't see him as a durable goalie. But we'll see. He's the real deal when he's in there for sure.
People have posted shot totals on here and that's just one aspect. But I watch a lot of hockey and Raanta faces quality scoring chances way to many times in a game. We don't have a very disciplined system or we don't , as I suspect, have enough guys who know how to play a 200 foot game. And our back end is weak. Gives up way to many 2 one 1's.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He's a small goalie who is injury prone. I'd be shocked if he played in that many games. I guess he's in better shape this training camp but I don't see him as a durable goalie. But we'll see. He's the real deal when he's in there for sure.
People have posted shot totals on here and that's just one aspect. But I watch a lot of hockey and Raanta faces quality scoring chances way to many times in a game. We don't have a very disciplined system or we don't , as I suspect, have enough guys who know how to play a 200 foot game. And our back end is weak. Gives up way to many 2 one 1's.
Our back end is not weak, one of the better ones in the NHL if healthy. The shot totals need to come down but that is partly on our forwards. The system and play was much better last 30 games of the year. And, we shall see if Raanta can play at a high rate for 60+ games. Its a tall order for us to expect somebody with this much NHL experience to do it now later in his career.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Our back end is not weak, one of the better ones in the NHL if healthy. The shot totals need to come down but that is partly on our forwards. The system and play was much better last 30 games of the year. And, we shall see if Raanta can play at a high rate for 60+ games. Its a tall order for us to expect somebody with this much NHL experience to do it now later in his career.

I don't know much Finnish. I know almost no Finnish, to be honest.

I barely know more than just one word: Sisu.

Go check it out at Wikipedia. It has a page on the English site.

Raanta? Oh, I am sure he has got it. :nod:

Reactions: Sthlmyote

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Please provide me with some evidence we have "one of the better ones in the NHL if healthy".
My eyes sure don't see it. I see breakdown after breakdown. And a real lack of toughness.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Please provide me with some evidence we have "one of the better ones in the NHL if healthy".
My eyes sure don't see it. I see breakdown after breakdown. And a real lack of toughness.
Break downs at the beginning of the year through mid season, then it stopped mostly. The last 30 games of the year, we had a very low GAA. That was partly due to our D being healthier and playing together, granted Raanta was great too. Shots against were down too.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Break downs at the beginning of the year through mid season, then it stopped mostly. The last 30 games of the year, we had a very low GAA. That was partly due to our D being healthier and playing together, granted Raanta was great too. Shots against were down too.
Sounds very subjective from you.
Raanta if you notice last season, his Save percentage climbs as the season goes on and he's healthy. He finishes near the top of the league.
Raanta and the fact we were out of it and pressure was gone got us more points at the end of the year (and reduced our lottery odds).
Only three teams in the league had a worse shots differential then we did. NY Islanders were the worst.

Nowwhere is their evidence we have this good defense. They even fail the eyeball test. We allow way too many quality chances against.
I would argue our D is in the bottom tier of the league.
And believe it or not the whole season counts not just part of it.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I don't know much Finnish. I know almost no Finnish, to be honest.

I barely know more than just one word: Sisu.

Go check it out at Wikipedia. It has a page on the English site.

Raanta? Oh, I am sure he has got it. :nod:
My two grandfathers both fought in the Russian/Finnish wars in early 1940's. "Sisu" means "guts" and that's what it took for Finland to fight off Russia. Finns invented the Molotov cocktail. They would stick a log in the tracks of the Russians tanks and throw one of those coctails inside the tank. Out came the burning Russians!!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta if you notice last season, his Save percentage climbs as the season goes on and he's healthy. He finishes near the top of the league.
Raanta and the fact we were out of it and pressure was gone got us more points at the end of the year (and reduced our lottery odds).
Only three teams in the league had a worse shots differential then we did. NY Islanders were the worst.

Nowwhere is their evidence we have this good defense. They even fail the eyeball test. We allow way too many quality chances against.
How many tiers are you talking about?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The end of the year when our D was healthy, we certainly were better, you can't dispute that, and yes our D was very good. My point is, when we were healthy. Not sure what games you were watching with failed eyeball test, scoring chances were way down last 20 games as was our GAA. Shots weren't down as much but the shots were lower quality. You have to look at the whole picture.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The end of the year when our D was healthy, we certainly were better, you can't dispute that, and yes our D was very good. My point is, when we were healthy. Not sure what games you were watching with failed eyeball test, scoring chances were way down last 20 games as was our GAA. Shots weren't down as much but the shots were lower quality. You have to look at the whole picture.
I wish you would indeed look at the "whole picture".

The entire season counts. And every team deals with injuries.
Overall the Coyotes D is mediocre at best.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What do u guys expect the goalie gp split to be?

With Kuemper's play, let's hope Raanta 65| Kuemper 17
Likely scenario (keeping in mind injuries and such) Raanta 50 | Kuemper et al 32

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agreed, if he plays 55 games and is mid pack in that group GAA wise, we are in good shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad