Season Outlook: Arizona Coyotes

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Coyotes.png

HockeyIntangibles: Season Outlook: Arizona Coyotes

Team Status: Arizona is attempting to compete. The team has made several aggressive moves in recent years in order to stay competitive. The team has failed to stay in the playoff hunt the last few seasons despite the moves they've made to win more. The team has traded a top 10 pick and other young players in other to bring in players like Derek Stepan, Antti Raanta and Niklas Hjalmarsson.

My 2nd team outlook I have completed thus far and I hope I did alright by you Coyotes fans.

The purpose of the piece wasn't to be massively in depth but just something for easy reference this year. I think if Arizona stays healthier this year it will go a long way towards letting them hang around a bit more in the playoff race.

I would like to get a steady flow of Coyotes content going for you guys and if anyone wants to come on and blog about the Coyotes, by all means feel free to message me.

Cheers

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think this is a lot closer than many of the other season previews that get posted here, save for the Galchenyuk part. I don't see any scenario where he's moved in his first year in AZ.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think this is a lot closer than many of the other season previews that get posted here, save for the Galchenyuk part. I don't see any scenario where he's moved in his first year in AZ.

I think it's only if he proves to be a distraction in the locker room etc. If he's back on track, even if Arizona isn't making the playoffs, I see them retaining him. I think Arizona may have been taken out of it a bit early last year with Chychrun and Hammer's health being poor all year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think it's only if he proves to be a distraction in the locker room etc. If he's back on track, even if Arizona isn't making the playoffs, I see them retaining him. I think Arizona may have been taken out of it a bit early last year with Chychrun and Hammer's health being poor all year.
Thank you. Very interesting. The loss of Chychrun and Hammer hurt, but the combination of losing the starting goalie, the cracking under the stress of the backup goalie the and trouble adapting to the new system provoked a near record losing streak for the beginning of the year. It was too much, way too much, to overcome. IIRC Galchenyuk was not considered a problem in the room until he ended up in the toxic Canadiens culture. I don't see Galchenyuk on the block, but if Strome doesn't pan out he may be traded at the deadline in my opinion.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Thank you. Very interesting. The loss of Chychrun and Hammer hurt, but the combination of losing the starting goalie, the cracking under the stress of the backup goalie the and trouble adapting to the new system provoked a near record losing streak for the beginning of the year. It was too much, way too much, to overcome. IIRC Galchenyuk was not considered a problem in the room until he ended up in the toxic Canadiens culture. I don't see Galchenyuk on the block, but if Strome doesn't pan out he may be traded at the deadline in my opinion.

I think Strome was coming on a bit at the end there? He had a good run in the AHL as well. I hope he works out for you guys because having that #1 centre is so huge now in this league.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
In regards to galchenyuk being a distraction. He wasnt in montreal. This is a player that almost spends his entire offseason in training mode. Hes very close to his father and his dad has high expectations of him...but it's a conducive relationship. His father had a lot of problem with galchenyuks usage...but any hab fan would recognize this misuse outside the hardcore bergevin supporters.

There was one incident where he was attacked by a girlfriend at his house party...but outside that he had been issue free. He was always good in the locker room. But keep in mind, when subban got traded...the french media tried to validate the trade by making subban "cancer" stories. An example involving PK rushing to the team meal room and grabbing a slice of pizza before anyone else. This is the calibre of witch hunt that happens in Montreal when a player doesnt get along with the francophone in charge. Habs arent called the worst run organization in hockey for no reason.

So dont fret about galchenyuks attitude. Hes a good humble kid that works extremely hard and is respectful of his coaches and teammates. Dont be surprised if he ends up the season as the no.1 center

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In regards to galchenyuk being a distraction. He wasnt in montreal. This is a player that almost spends his entire offseason in training mode. Hes very close to his father and his dad has high expectations of him...but it's a conducive relationship. His father had a lot of problem with galchenyuks usage...but any hab fan would recognize this misuse outside the hardcore bergevin supporters.

There was one incident where was attacked by a girlfriend at his house party...but outside that he had been issue free. He was always good in the locker room. But keep in mind, when subban got traded...the french media tried to validate the trade by making subban "cancer" stories. An example involving PK rushing to the team meal room and grabbing a slice of pizza before anyone else. This is the calibre of witch hunt that happens in Montreal when a player doesnt get along with the francophone in charge. Habs arent called the worst run organization in hockey for no reason.

So dont fret about galchenyuks attitude. Hes a good humble kid that works extremely hard and is respectful of his coaches and teammates. Dont be surprised if he ends up the season as the no.1 center
Very nice of you to say, Mrs Galchenyuk! :sarcasm:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There was one incident where he was attacked by a girlfriend at his house party...but outside that he had been issue free.

He got physically assaulted by his girlfriend at a party and did nothing to retaliate, and the team pressured *him* into apologizing for causing an issue.

That's the one incident. He was a victim and in Montreal, being a victim is a distraction.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
He got physically assaulted by his girlfriend at a party and did nothing to retaliate, and the team pressured *him* into apologizing for causing an issue.

That's the one incident. He was a victim and in Montreal, being a victim is a distraction.

The only problem I see with Galchenyuk, is the fact the more he will score, the more Montreal will hate Domi.

Well, wait, that's not Galchenyuks fault either.

Forgettaboutit;)

Reactions: Price is Wright

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The only problem I see with Galchenyuk, is the fact the more he will score, the more Montreal will hate Domi.

Well, wait, that's not Galchenyuks fault either.

Forgettaboutit;)
Chucky has one of the hardest and accurate shots you will ever see especially when he has time and space on the PP, a good setup man with chuck on the pp would be dynamite for you guys, his shot release is every bit as good as that of Pacioretty and he has scored 30 goals for us before, he can go on a run let me tell you. I will be watching him with you guys, I hope he lights it up.

Reactions: Yandover

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Saw the Domi at center stuff today and laughed. He's even worse in the middle than Drouin. What a mess.
I don't know. Maybe under a different system and playing like he gives a crap he looks dramatically better. And you almost have to try if you're MTL. Same reason we would be fools not to get a look at Galchenyuk at C, even though MTL turfed that project.

All I know for sure is he looked even more dreadful at center here last year, and I like Galchenyuk's chances at C better than Domi's. Doesn't mean they can't try.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Seriously? I didn't know about this. But kudos to him, we found not only a good player but a dang great person. Unbelievable that was an issue.

Reactions: Yandover

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I’d be shocked if he took Connauton’s or Oesterle’s job.
Big, tough, mobile RHD...I see him being the 7th guy and rotating with those 2 depending on circumstances (assuming he adjusts to the smaller rink ina short period of time).

rt

May 13, 2004
Training camp always brings a surprise or two, this might be one of them.
PPTOI/GP:
1. OEL 3:03
2. Chychrun 2:02
3. Goligoski 1:56
4. Demers 1:03

PKTOI/GP:
1. Hjalmarsson 2:28
2. Demers 1:58
3. Goligoski 1:55
**4. Schenn 1:55**
5. OEL 1:40

That’s where Lyubushkin May be able to steal a spot. KConn doesn’t get much specialty teams time. Oesterle is the same. Neither have been big specialty teams guys even as minor pros from what I can tell. So if Lyubushkin can REALLY stand out on the PK he could steal a job.

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
Big, tough, mobile RHD...I see him being the 7th guy and rotating with those 2 depending on circumstances (assuming he adjusts to the smaller rink ina short period of time).

1. OEL
2. Hjalmarsson
3. Goligoski
4. Chychrun
5. Demers
6. Connauton
7. Oesterle/Lyubushkin
8. Lyubushkin/Oesterle

My money is on Oesterle, but I really doubt we carry 8 D regularly, so I don’t expect a three man rotation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad