Pre-Game Talk: Season Opener - Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - October 3, 2013, 7:00PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Dalpe would be better off centring Higgins. Santorelli is an energy centre who can score in shoot outs. I think he can carry the 4th line with Weise. Sestito is a non factor and likely to miss evey other shift and sit for the 3rd. So you'd have Higgins or Booth double shifting on the 4th.

Sounds like I was a bit off. Coming out of practice today:

D Sedin - H sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Richardson - Santorelli
Sestito - Dalpe - Weise
Kassian (suspended)

Garrison - Edler
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev

Heathy scratch
Alberts - Weber

I don't like playing a dman on their offside. We saw Edler couldn't do that last year.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Really dont like that 4th line. Weise is fine but the rest is ugly. Dont like Dalpe in a 4C role. Id rather he and Richardson switch.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
Sounds like I was a bit off. Coming out of practice today:

D Sedin - H sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Richardson - Santorelli
Sestito - Dalpe - Weise
Kassian (suspended)

Garrison - Edler
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev

Heathy scratch
Alberts - Weber

I don't like playing a dman on their offside. We saw Edler couldn't do that last year.

But we saw Garrison could. He played large stretches with Hamhuis, and looked very good. Many fans have been waiting a year for this pairing.

Edit: I thought they were playing Edler-Garrison (per vancanucks twitter)...

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
you can say that third line sucks......but it only paper........on the ice it could be different....don't judge before a few games........overeaction

LolClarkson*

I hope Santo can carry his pre season play to the reg season.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
But we saw Garrison could. He played large stretches with Hamhuis, and looked very good. Many fans have been waiting a year for this pairing.

Edit: I thought they were playing Edler-Garrison (per vancanucks twitter)...

Yep, they were.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Elliott Pap‏@ElliottPap1m
Other Nux lines at practice Tuesday: twins-Burrows; Higgins-Kesler-Hansen; Booth-Richardson-Santorelli. #canucks

JAY JANOWER‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC1m
Here's your #Canucks lines, Sedin/Sedin/Burrows. Higgins/Kesler/Hansen. Booth/Richardson/Santorelli. Sestito/Dalpe/Weise/Kassian.

JAY JANOWER‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC2m
#Canucks D pairings, Edler/Garrison. Hamhuis/Bieksa. Stanton/Tanev. Alberts/Weber.

The tears of joy I cried for this...

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I hope Stanton can nail down a spot. Talk coming out of the Hawks camp is that he should be a fairly decent 6th dman.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Really dont like that 4th line. Weise is fine but the rest is ugly. Dont like Dalpe in a 4C role. Id rather he and Richardson switch.

Me too. I don't really get it. Why not just have Richardson centre what would be a big, grinding 4th line and have Dalpe on the 2nd or 3rd line where he can potentially make an impact with his skill? It seems so pointless to have Dalpe on the 4th line, Richardson on the 3rd.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Elliott Pap‏@ElliottPap1m
Other Nux lines at practice Tuesday: twins-Burrows; Higgins-Kesler-Hansen; Booth-Richardson-Santorelli. #canucks

JAY JANOWER‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC1m
Here's your #Canucks lines, Sedin/Sedin/Burrows. Higgins/Kesler/Hansen. Booth/Richardson/Santorelli. Sestito/Dalpe/Weise/Kassian.

JAY JANOWER‏@DOUBLEJGLOBALBC2m
#Canucks D pairings, Edler/Garrison. Hamhuis/Bieksa. Stanton/Tanev. Alberts/Weber.

52244-Best-Day-Ever-gif--Tangled-1hjV.gif

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Me too. I don't really get it. Why not just have Richardson centre what would be a big, grinding 4th line and have Dalpe on the 2nd or 3rd line where he can potentially make an impact with his skill? It seems so pointless to have Dalpe on the 4th line, Richardson on the 3rd.

well Dalpe is in a new system so coaches want to start him slow but I sure he will move up in no time

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
Looks like it's gonna be another year where it'll be Sedins/Luongo carrying the team. You just have to hope the year of development for the kids is enough for next year.

Wetcoaster

you can say that third line sucks......but it only paper........on the ice it could be different....don't judge before a few games........overeaction
This is Torts - he regularly throws the lines and pairings in a blender during a game. So who knows what will happen.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Looks like it's gonna be another year where it'll be Sedins/Luongo carrying the team. You just have to hope the year of development for the kids is enough for next year.

Yep. Booth, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Kesler, Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis and everyone else is going to suck. Why bother watching, right?

Wetcoaster

How about we wait a few games before declaring:

the-sky-is-falling.jpg

It takes teams with a new coach and system as well as new players some time to gel - remember the LA Kings Stanley Cup run?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Sure, but who else should be on it? I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Booth up there just to block the goalie with his big body.

Yeah I guess with no Kassian or Schroeder, they're kind of limited. Booth and/or Dalpe have the skill to contribute though. Maybe just too soon for them to get in on that though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wow, new guy gets to play game 1? Cool beans.

Says a fair bit about what Torts thought of Weber and Alberts, IMO. Outside of a rotten game (where he was paired with Alberts), I thought Weber was actually fairly decent. Clearly Tortorella felt differently.

Hopefully Stanton can fill an Aaron Rome type role for us. Steady and unflashy while also standing up for teammates and playing a physical game.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Says a fair bit about what Torts thought of Weber and Alberts, IMO. Outside of a rotten game (where he was paired with Alberts), I thought Weber was actually fairly decent. Clearly Tortorella felt differently.

Hopefully Stanton can fill an Aaron Rome type role for us. Steady and unflashy while also standing up for teammates and playing a physical game.

Gets the benefit of Tanev who makes everyone look good!

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site

I think that Torts may use Weber more when he has the last change at home, so he can spot him.
Stanton has nowhere near Weber's offensive skill, but he is much safer in his own zone. And when the Sharks can put out Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Marleau, Boyle, et al, when they see Weber out there...well, that could get ugly very quickly.
While we all know Torts is going to give his top lines much more icetime (relative to AV), I think the top players will get even more of the ice on the road.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think that Torts may use Weber more when he has the last change at home, so he can spot him.
Stanton has nowhere near Weber's offensive skill, but he is much safer in his own zone. And when the Sharks can put out Thornton, Couture, Marleau, et al, when they see Weber out there...well, that could get ugly very quickly.

Excellent point. The thought of Weber out there against those guys is scary. By all accounts Stanton is a solid stay at home defenceman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->