GDT: Season Opener | Panthers @ Lightning | 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Too early to call that 5 forward PP unit a failure, it was just game 1. They had some good looks.

It is a failure since only the quarterback considers that he should be aware of any counter attacks. Rest of them are just hoping that someone else is on top of things. Boughner should drop using that 5 fwd PP scheme.

One point against a team that's probably going to win the division and should be of the candidates for the presidents trophy. One noticeable issue is, or still remains to be, that this team is so soft even against another soft team. I'd trade a 6th round pick for Jordan Nolan for 4th line duties and let MacK begin his retirement in the press box.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
It is a failure since only the quarterback considers that he should be aware of any counter attacks. Rest of them are just hoping that someone else is on top of things. Boughner should drop using that 5 fwd PP scheme.

Barky is like a defender out there and it's common just to have one the PP. I don't think it's an issue. What they do need to show is they can score though, that's the bigger issue.

That goal against yesterday was a lucky bounce first of the ref and then Barky when the puck came back the Tampa guy,.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
That goal against yesterday was a lucky bounce first of the ref and then Barky when the puck came back the Tampa guy,.

"Lucky" meaning that they had no control over the puck but still acted like they had it. Normally two dman would be on the blue line but no one other than Barkov had a clue what to do besides puck watch. Judging from the reactions, looked like Hubs was supposed to be hunkering down if the Bolts get to the puck first. But the game plan for the PP can't be that everyone just assumes that they'll have the puck no matter what, and if a miracle happens and the opposing team gets puck, then it's "good luck, Barkov".

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Gotta start finding a way to take 2 points in games like that. That’s the difference between us and Tampa plus a handful of other teams in the east right now. Ya you could easily argue we “deserved” 2 points, but at this stage, moral victories mean nothing. It’s about results and scoring once on that many opportunities is unacceptable. Games like this are why Tampa WILL make the playoffs and why we MIGHT make the playoffs.

Agree. It's huge to win games when you aren't playing at your best, like Tampa. And it's a total bummer to lose when you played well the majority of the game, like us. Gonna have to close games out like this one.

I liked how everyone looked like they gelled. Few mishaps but overall good game. Love the hustle and speed. We were hemmed in our zone for a good number of shifts in the 2nd but I didn't feel like we lost our composure. Just a good Tampa team doing their thing. I liked that we got back on track after that big kill.

Sasha is such a treat to watch. What an explosive hockey player. But still, his offense was a tad off last night. He'd usually score on that breakaway and shootout attempt, Vas or not. But he's definitely a killer.

-ghoste

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
"Lucky" meaning that they had no control over the puck but still acted like they had it. Normally two dman would be on the blue line but no one other than Barkov had a clue what to do besides puck watch. Judging from the reactions, looked like Hubs was supposed to be hunkering down if the Bolts get to the puck first. But the game plan for the PP can't be that everyone just assumes that they'll have the puck no matter what, and if a miracle happens and the opposing team gets puck, then it's "good luck, Barkov".
The lucky bounce was off of the ref, IMO, not off of Barkov.

Puck hit the ref in the corner, which started that whole play. If the puck doesn't hit the ref and die, we don't lose possesion there

Reactions: Chino Oscar

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The lucky bounce was off of the ref, IMO, not off of Barkov.

Puck hit the ref in the corner, which started that whole play. If the puck doesn't hit the ref and die, we don't lose possesion there

Exactly. One such case why you have two dman on the blue line. It's funny when you extrapolate the situation even further by suggesting taking the goalie away to get 6-on-4 going but that's considered ridiculous but when you take a just cautious step towards the same lunacy then it's OK. We had the game at hand but Boughner wanted to get his name out there by inventing something new which in reality isn't anything new but has been buried experiment that only stupid coaches try every once in a while again.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah the 2-1 happened because of a lucky bounce off a ref.

And even then Barky played it right and took away the passing lane from Cirelli who, again , got a lucky bounce when his pass hit Barky and came back to him for an empty netter.

Two broken plays in a row that resulted in a goal against should not be the reason to end that 5 forward experiment. If they can't find a way to score then it's another story.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
50% of what happens on the ice is due to broken plays and lucky bounces. That's the reason why this experiment should end. And it will eventually because it's all about how big of an appetite Boogie has for losing games because of SHGs against. Like I said, this is nothing new and Boogie thinks he's found something ground breaking when in fact he's just rediscovered something that's a surefire way to lose one goal games.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Can't believe Bjugstad is playing on the 1st line of an NHL team. Makes me sick.

Just like Hubs, he's just swimming in other players' slip stream. But most folks here thinks that he's just on a cusp of greatness, needs a bit of piggy back help from Barkov and Dadonov. Need to suffocate a play? Just pass the puck to Bjugs and see him stumble like a bambi on ice or witness a 5'7", 160lbs push Bjugs away from the puck. The guy is joke even as a 3rd liner which he is.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The Panthers dominated the team that's "supposed" to fight for the Stanley Cup. They had the upcoming Vezina winner save over 40 shots and lost in a shootout while only letting 1 goal go by the backup goalie.
Hoffman hit 2 posts and Barkov had what 2 breakaways? Yet fans here are acting like children out of candy. Wake up

Sorry the fans here who screaming like you said react like al of the Players did. No Panthers player go happy out of the Game, for what and why should say? Everyone saying you played great did most or all of the things right, but still cant win the Game. :D
When you loose games you should win, i should be happy cause we lost. YEAAAAAAAAAH HAPPY Let´s lose some more Games to be happy.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
The 5 forward experiment is stupid. Yandle already moved the puck there like a forward. What more you are asking from him? What really was missing? Don't think Barkov is going to be a huge upgrade there and he is / will missed on the half wall. And why Hoffman is immediately given 1st PP minutes when he has shown very little to nothing on this team yet? Shouldn't the positions be given on what they have shown? Why haven't Trocheck and Malgin played on the same line from last season when they showed good chemistry together? Dadonov matched well on that line too. Don't understand why they are trying to over-coach everything all the time. Couple of questions for Boughner.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We controlled the game despite the blaring fact that we faced bad puck luck, the refs, and the show put on by Vasilevsky.

I thought everyone looked like they belonged out there. As usual I compare and contrast with the other channel, the clown show out side the Rangers crease, we have nothing to complain about.

Reimer was fantastic.

It looks like we are where we left off.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Went about how I expected. Tampa is a tough opponent, but the Panthers play them tough usually. It was actually very similar to the opening night game in Gallant's first season. Whatever happened in this game meant very little long term IMO (aside from injuries). It was just important to play a good game, and they did. It just time to move forward, and try to improve all season long. Getting at least one point out of the first game is good.
Sucks they're off until Thursday though.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Also what a joke of a schedule, some teams like Toronto play four games before we have another one.

barf
I was looking at it while signing up for the half seasons, we have I don't know how many back to backs and random time change trips.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Surprise! Surprise!
Games are won and lost on special teams.

The emphasis of every practice moving forward should be on special teams.

Power play (5-on-4 and 5-on3 with 5 forwards, 4 fwd + 1 d, 3 fwd + 2d, whatever)
Penalty kill (5-on-4 and 5-on3)
Overtime (3-on-3)
Shootout
Offsetting penalties (4-on-4)

We need to be ready for all these situations asap and clearly we were not last night.

0 for on the powerplay, 1 short handed goal allowed
0 for on the shootout
The only positive area was the pk and I hardly think of it as positive because TB had plenty of chances, they just didn't convert.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The 5 forward experiment is stupid. Yandle already moved the puck there like a forward. What more you are asking from him? What really was missing? Don't think Barkov is going to be a huge upgrade there and he is / will missed on the half wall. And why Hoffman is immediately given 1st PP minutes when he has shown very little to nothing on this team yet? Shouldn't the positions be given on what they have shown? Why haven't Trocheck and Malgin played on the same line from last season when they showed good chemistry together? Dadonov matched well on that line too. Don't understand why they are trying to over-coach everything all the time. Couple of questions for Boughner.
You can’t be serious to not put Hoffman on the first unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->