Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ellsbury had just been drafted- if I had to guess what happened I’d say the Sox probably wanted Damon back on a short term deal which would make no sense for Johnny to accept. They didn’t retain Damon and then had a need for a CF as Ellsbury had only just been drafted 6 months before so they went out and flipped Andy Marte for Coco Crisp

Sometimes I forget about Coco Crisp. I liked him.
DID YOU SEE THAT CATCH COCO MADE?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Gammons: Mookie Betts will be lucky to get $250 million

Wildly unfortunate for Mookie but probably true

oh welllll

Mookie returning to John Henry's office next winter-

applicants_supplicants.gif

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Tell him their offer still stands.

How wild would that be, trading him for some pretty solid prospects, to have him never play a game for LA.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I still expect the dodgers to retain him once free agency hits but it’s just not going to be for the money he was holding out for the entire time

Goes to show that sometimes the smarter move is to sacrifice a little bit of value to take the security. It’s why many players do it. Sometimes shit happens that’s out of your control. I bet 10/310 is looking awfully good right about now

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I still expect the dodgers to retain him once free agency hits but it’s just not going to be for the money he was holding out for the entire time

Goes to show that sometimes the smarter move is to sacrifice a little bit of value to take the security. It’s why many players do it. Sometimes shit happens that’s out of your control. I bet 10/310 is looking awfully good right about now

I understand that it’s totally a value thing and there’s a ton of factors that go into it like the Player’s Union and shit, but I’m trying to imagine turning down 310m. Wild.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I understand that it’s totally a value thing and there’s a ton of factors that go into it like the Player’s Union and shit, but I’m trying to imagine turning down 310m. Wild.

not only that but imagine turning it down and being right about it? No way he could have seen a pandemic coming but without it he’s getting $400mil

Reactions: N o o d l e s

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I can see the Padres and Angels paying Betts more than the 250M that Gammons thinks he would receive, when the FA market opens.
Imagine Betts and Trout on the same team?
They would be the deadliest 2 and three hitters ever.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I can see the Padres and Angels paying Betts more than the 250M that Gammons thinks he would receive, when the FA market opens.
Imagine Betts and Trout on the same team?
They would be the deadliest 2 and three hitters ever.
I am pretty sure both teams you mentioned would be in luxury tax hell if they signed Betts for 250 million.Unless the Padres get someone to take Manny Machado and Eric Hosmer or the Angels completely waive Pujols so his money doesn't count either team would be unlikely to sign him.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It was McNamara and Schiraldi's fault 100%.

Keep in mind the Red Sox are my second favorite team, and my heart sank with the Astros in '86.

But even so, I had a hard time watching the bottom of the 10th. Especially in light of the jubilation after Dave Henderson's home run in the top of the inning, and the ensuing insurance run. Add to that, the first two outs in the bottom of the 10th were fairly quick and routine. And to be one pitch away multiple times...

Schiraldi did OK in long relief. The Mets were absolutely battling in those at bats facing elimination and they slapped out singles.

I do think Buckner was unfairly made the scapegoat and I'm surprised Bob Stanley doesn't get mor flak for the wild pitch that plated the tying run and put the winning run in scoring position.

I didn't see the whole game but I guess the problem most have with McNamara was even having a hobbled Buckner at first?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Keep in mind the Red Sox are my second favorite team, and my heart sank with the Astros in '86.

But even so, I had a hard time watching the bottom of the 10th. Especially in light of the jubilation after Dave Henderson's home run in the top of the inning, and the ensuing insurance run. Add to that, the first two outs in the bottom of the 10th were fairly quick and routine. And to be one pitch away multiple times...

Schiraldi did OK in long relief. The Mets were absolutely battling in those at bats facing elimination and they slapped out singles.

I do think Buckner was unfairly made the scapegoat and I'm surprised Bob Stanley doesn't get mor flak for the wild pitch that plated the tying run and put the winning run in scoring position.

I didn't see the whole game but I guess the problem most have with McNamara was even having a hobbled Buckner at first?

I'm going to amend my earlier post and alleviate Schiraldi of blame since he shouldn't be faulted for faltering in a situation he shouldn't have been in.

McNamara gets crap for letting Clemens ask out of the game, but I don't hold that against either of them (if the blister hampered his ability to be effective, it was the responsible thing and the honorable thing to let someone else close it out). But leaving a clearly tired Schiraldi in for 3 full innings when Bob Stanley was fresh in the pen was his fatal mistake, compounded by having to rush Stanley in the game with the tying run on their base and the Mets on a roll. No wonder he threw a wild pitch on his first pitch. No reason not to just give him the fresh inning when the pitcher's spot wasn't due up for 5 more batters anyway in the odd chance they went to an 11th inning. And yes, letting an injured Buckner stay in to play 1B instead of Stapleton was foolish since Buckner wouldn't have been due up for another 7 batters anyway (and you still had Don Baylor available to pinch hit anyway).

Just all in all a poorly managed game, made worse in game 7 when the idiot went right back to a shaken Schiraldi to blow it again.

Reactions: Aeroforce

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Orioles released 37 minor leaguers today

hell of a look to not wait this out until baseball is back

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I am pretty sure both teams you mentioned would be in luxury tax hell if they signed Betts for 250 million.Unless the Padres get someone to take Manny Machado and Eric Hosmer or the Angels completely waive Pujols so his money doesn't count either team would be unlikely to sign him.
The Padres have a ton of cap space in 2021, see below:

PADRES LUXURY TAX PAYROLL

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Can we talk about how Manfred is going to screw us out of the whole season with these return to play proposals with absurd salary cuts that the union is never in a million years going to accept?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
not only that but imagine turning it down and being right about it? No way he could have seen a pandemic coming but without it he’s getting $400mil

Contracts were coming down only if he has an MVP season. He’s still probably on the team that’s going to be willing to pay him the most.

Not to mention the money he’s been on the last couple years is pretty high he’s making 20 mil + not 5.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Can we talk about how Manfred is going to screw us out of the whole season with these return to play proposals with absurd salary cuts that the union is never in a million years going to accept?

They're never going to agree to that offer, but the owners are also never going to accept a deal where they're guaranteed to lose money. We can say that they're billionaires and they can afford it, but they can just take the ball and go home. Most of them don't actually need the MLB, and use ownership as some kind of ego boost. The players won the 1994 strike, but it hurt the league and that was when baseball was popular. What's going to happen if they take the year off when baseball's been declining in popularity for years? We talk about how the NHL seemingly sabotages itself, but the MLB is just as bad, and I blame everyone involved.

In terms of the proposal, it's actually a smart offer by the owners because they're basically doing what the NFL did, which is to offer a deal that the lower earning players will be willing to accept. Get enough of their support, and it doesn't matter what the high earning players think.

To be honest, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, where the owners and MLBPA are squabbling over all this money, while the A's announce that they're going to stop paying minor leaguers their $400 weekly stipends, which basically only saves them $1 million, and I'm sure they're not going to be the only team to do so. It'd be nice if the players fought as much for minor league pay as they do for their own, and it'd be nice if teams weren't so cheap and would actually pay minor leaguers a living wage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Whatever happened to Trey Ball, Boston Red Sox (seventh overall, 2013)?

they tried to convert him into an outfielder after he worked his way up to AA as a pitcher and stopped progressing. Didn’t really work. He had some plate appearances in the GCL. Pretty sure he’s no longer in the system or any system for that matter

I was a Braden Shipley guy that draft so I wouldn’t have done much better

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
they tried to convert him into an outfielder after he worked his way up to AA as a pitcher and stopped progressing. Didn’t really work. He had some plate appearances in the GCL. Pretty sure he’s no longer in the system or any system for that matter

I was a Braden Shipley guy that draft so I wouldn’t have done much better

All of the rumors were that they wanted Clint Frazier or Austin Meadows, but I get why they did what they did. I just kind of view it as the same logic as drafting Senyshyn. They saw an athletic 6'6" left-handed high school pitcher, and thought they could turn him into something special, but it might have been better to just go with the safer, consensus pick.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
All of the rumors were that they wanted Clint Frazier or Austin Meadows, but I get why they did what they did. I just kind of view it as the same logic as drafting Senyshyn. They saw an athletic 6'6" left-handed high school pitcher, and thought they could turn him into something special, but it might have been better to just go with the safer, consensus pick.

Agreed. If you want a player that fits a specific kind of role, draft a player with those skills. Don't draft a guy that isn't that and try to change their entire game because that never works.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->