HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Being a " small business " I sure hope the Lakers can survive until everything gets back to normal. :shakehead

from time.com:

The Los Angeles Lakers have repaid a loan of roughly $4.6 million from coronavirus business relief funds after learning the program had been depleted.

The Lakers applied for the loan under the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program, a part of the federal government’s $2.2 trillion stimulus package. The Lakers’ request was granted in the first round of distribution, but after the fund ran out of money in less than two weeks, the team returned its loan, as did several wealthier business including Shake Shack and AutoNation.

The Lakers issued a statement Monday confirming what happened.

“The Lakers qualified for and received a loan under the Payroll Protection Program,” the statement read. “However, once we found out the funds from the program had been depleted, we repaid the loan so that financial support would be directed to those most in need. The Lakers remain completely committed to supporting both our employees and our community.”

Full story: Los Angeles Lakers Return $4.6 Million It Received From Federal Small Business Stimulus Program

Reactions: CDJ

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Red Claws update:

news for 2021------

potential union talks for the Gatorade League being looked at; along with other issues such as separate horl rooms on road games

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Also, I need someone to explain to me why Toni Kukoc isn’t in the NBA Hall of Fame. There is no reason for him to be excluded.

Reactions: TD Charlie

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Also, I need someone to explain to me why Toni Kukoc isn’t in the NBA Hall of Fame. There is no reason for him to be excluded.

I guess my question is what is the argument for him. His career average was 11.6 pts, 4.2 reb, 3.7 assists. He won one NBA award as 6th man of year.

Is the argument in favor being made primarily because of his Euro league accolades, where he was a dominant player

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I guess my question is what is the argument for him. His career average was 11.6 pts, 4.2 reb, 3.7 assists. He won one NBA award as 6th man of year.

Is the argument in favor being made primarily because of his Euro league accolades, where he was a dominant player
He was by far a better player than Dino Radja who got in back in 2018.

You can argue his numbers in the NBA are severely hampered given who he played behind. In his case that has to be taken into account along with his international career.

When you add in his European career plus the 2 Olympic Silver medals and 3 NBA Championships make him a HOF player without question at least to me.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He was by far a better player than Dino Radja who got in back in 2018.

You can argue his numbers in the NBA are severely hampered given who he played behind. In his case that has to be taken into account along with his international career.

When you add in his European career plus the 2 Olympic Silver medals and 3 NBA Championships make him a HOF player without question at least to me.
A lot of it is politics I'm sure.

Jordan and Pippen bullied him so bad for no reason other than Jerry Krause wanting him to be a Bull

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A lot of it is politics I'm sure.

Jordan and Pippen bullied him so bad for no reason other than Jerry Krause wanting him to be a Bull
I'm seeing that now and it makes me sick.

IMO, Kukoc is up there with Drazen Petrovic. Had he played elsewhere there is no doubt he would have been a star.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It is a damn shame those early to mid 90’s Knicks never won a championship.

This docuseries is phenomenal

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Pippen would have annoyed Lebron as a 1 on 1 defender (especially in the era where you were actually allowed to breathe on people who drive to the hoop) but as players they are on totally different wavelengths

what lebron can do offensively is light years above anything pippen could do

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Middle-aged Toni Kukoc in the Last Dance documentary reminds me of Cousin Roman. I wonder if he ever called Michael Jordan to invite him to go bowling.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I know Dennis Rodman is batshit crazy, but this is off the rails:
Dennis Rodman says Scottie Pippen would have been better than LeBron James in the 1990s
Scottie Pippen has to be one of the most overrated players in the history of the NBA. I can't stand LeBron, but he would have owned Pippen.

I had a guy at work who, when on call, would get his 2 hours automatic overtime for answering a call, and every time he did, his answer was to call me. One day I got so pissed off at him taking credit for solving things, I had to push back. So I snapped at him "You are the Scottie Pippen of this place! Your only move is to pass it to Jordan!".

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
With nothing else going on at the moment, I think it's good to reflect and look back.

This spring is the ten year anniversary of the 2010 team that made a finals run - the last time the franchise got there. Often forgotten in comparison to the 2008 team, but I think worth looking back at - they're the 2013 Bruins to the 2008 Celtics' 2011 Bruins.

Even though they didn't win game 7 since Perk got hurt and Ray Allen got like 1 for 100 from the floor in the fourth quarter, I still have fond memories of that run - particularly the second round series with Cleveland, back in the old days when we still owned Lebron. Lebron didn't really assert his dominance until 2012 (they beat us in 2011, but 2012 was the playoffs where he became a MAN), and beforehand the knock was that he would mentally crumble under the pressure - and the Celtics in particular owned him. Pierce/KG bullied him and he would choke, it was great. The best part of it all that year was that everyone knew he was an impending UFA and that Cleveland wasn't going to keep him. My fondest memory is the deciding game 6 of the Celtics/Cavs series in the Garden, when we were in control at the end of the game and Lebron got some free throw opportunities and the crowd just started chanting "New York Knicks!" at him. Good times. Good times.

The finals were really good too - two great teams in a slugfest. The image in game 5 of Big Baby Davis and Nate Robinson was magical and could've gone down in history as such if we didn't drop the series. We had two chances to close it out in LA but game 6 was a disaster from the start and game 7 was just frustrating. I hated those Laker teams so much, though I guess I've softened my view a little in light of Kobe's death. It was hard to take at the time though.

That was also the last pure NBA season to me. The last major Celtics/Lakers confrontation, and the last year before superteams ruined the league with the Heat that summer.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Frustrating loss in Game 7, unfortunately IIRC, it became a free throw contest in the last few minutes. Lakers got to the line more often.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Frustrating loss in Game 7, unfortunately IIRC, it became a free throw contest in the last few minutes. Lakers got to the line more often.
It was a very weird game for a championship deciding game 7. Both starting centers were injured (Bynum played short minutes but was ineffective, while Perk was ruled out completely). Kobe was uncharacteristically quiet and we still didn't take advantage. Gasol and Artest really carried the weight for the Lakers that night. In the end though, Ray Allen was the reason we lost that game. His shooting efficiency that night was one of the worst of his long career. Just one more reason to hate Ray Allen.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
lmao

According to Perk, the origin of the Lebron-Pierce feud was the first preseason game of Lebron's career where Pierce was sick of all the hype around him and spat on the Cavs bench

Reactions: JRull86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->