Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Thank god we won the Cup last year. It would have been so blues-y to have the season cancelled where were destined to win it.

Still, if this season is cancelled we lost a prime cup contending year. I guess I won't complain too much since we got ours and all.

Reactions: Ranksu

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'll be the contrarian here.

I'm thinking there's too much follow the herd and cancel everything before conducting an open debate about the negative impacts of these cancellations. If it's decided that we cancel, then let's do it knowing and having talked about all of the secondary and tertiary impacts. I think our culture and media is now wired to destroy anyone who doesn't conform to the herd or questions what everyone is saying and doing. We and our media love to mock and destroy people in the public square. This can ultimately lead to decisions that may look really bad in hindsight...say in a few months time when the economy tanks, people lose their jobs, homes, and maybe more.

Just a thought.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The high ups in this world who make the decisions are privy to the data and classified info. They tell us little people what they want us to know. If they are going through these drastic measures, you know it’s worse than we think.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Thank god we won the Cup last year. It would have been so blues-y to have the season cancelled where were destined to win it.

Still, if this season is cancelled we lost a prime cup contending year. I guess I won't complain too much since we got ours and all.
It definitely sucks to have a year burned essentially for nothing, but some consolation is there are a lot of teams in the playoff picture that have also lost a year to contend for the cup as well.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Somehow PGA Tour and Nascar are moving forward without fans.....

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Ohio health official estimates 100,000 Ohioans already carrying coronavirus

Let that sink in. You can be infected for 21 days and not even know you have it and be infecting people the entire time.

Reactions: mk80

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I wonder what the agreement would be for contracts if new playoffs go past July 1st, or if that would be the date that anything would have to get completed by.
There would be an agreement with the NHLPA to move deadlines however. I would expect that to be sorted out before we get back to playing.

Not how I imagined 'Defending Stanley Cup Champions' GDTs during 2021.
We could be the 3rd-longest defending Cup champions ever. Think of it that way.

Something like this would probably need to happen. Winnipeg are fourth in the Central and sixth in the Western Conference on points, but if we adjust to PPG then they are fifth in the Central and ninth in the West. I can't see them allowing a team to be bumped out like that.
The NHL is kind of clear that point% is how teams get ranked. Would suck for Winnipeg, but shit happens. They've had ~70 games to get themselves into a position where they didn't have to rely on having 12 more games to get into a playoff spot.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I say we keep having GDTs for every game we would have played. We'll come up with a script for the game, pretend like it's really going on and post accordingly.

Or, we do a daily "relive the 2019 Cup Run" GDT through to the last game. If the playoffs get scrubbed, we should definitely go this route.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
so what happens in a month or so once this shit blows over? just rolling with how the current standings are?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
so what happens in a month or so once this shit blows over? just rolling with how the current standings are?
If it ends that quickly they probably likely play the remaining 3 weeks of regular season games. If and probably longer they start playoffs based on today's standings, or depending on how long they'd probably have to look at top 4 teams or so. In any scenario the Blues are in.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I'm honestly surprised by how many are still focused on hockey right now, all I can think about is people and protecting them and what we can all do to accomplish that.

Edit: Not virtue signalling here, just an observation contrasted with my own preoccupation with the unfolding Covid 19 story.

I’d say sitting at home typing about hockey is at least in the top 10 percentile of things you could do to help limit spread of the disease, though.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I say we keep having GDTs for every game we would have played. We'll come up with a script for the game, pretend like it's really going on and post accordingly.

Or, we do a daily "relive the 2019 Cup Run" GDT through to the last game. If the playoffs get scrubbed, we should definitely go this route.
Discord expanded going live to 50 people, if someone has the 2019 games on their PC, could be live streamed to a bunch of people

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
The high ups in this world who make the decisions are privy to the data and classified info. They tell us little people what they want us to know. If they are going through these drastic measures, you know it’s worse than we think.

Ohio health official estimates 100,000 Ohioans already carrying coronavirus

Let that sink in. You can be infected for 21 days and not even know you have it and be infecting people the entire time.

I’m really surprised that Ohio health officials hasn’t got more push back on that estimate, worldwide it’s barely topped 125,000 people. 100,000 people in Ohio at this point is very unlikely I’ll explain.

The high ups in the world are currently going through these measures not just because it’s worse than you think but because it could become worse than you could ever believe. The truth is the those who make decisions in this country and are privy to the data really don’t know. The reason why is they haven’t done enough testing to know. Without widespread testing to map the spread any model you would require many assumptions like when the virus started spreading. For a good article on some of the assumptions required for a University level model you can read this.

True number of U.S. coronavirus cases is far above official tally, scientists say

That model had 10,000 cases (on the high side) nationwide as of March 1st. To get to 100,000 cases just in Ohio in 13 days would be on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Trying to extract anything from current hospital cases can be misleading as well as detailed in this article.
The Coronavirus, by the Numbers
Having said that the current confirmed cases in Ohio don’t lead to a 1 percent of the population spread. Ohio is certainly not a hot spot like Seattle, California, or New York at this point.

Just so you know I’m not just linking articles at you, I’m former government employee and have had experience with pandemic modeling. The variables for any model right now requires lots of assumptions and best guesses. To eliminate error you need testing to start getting a baseline of so you can map areas of infection then you can use GIS modeling to really map the spread. GIS modeling you can start factoring in population density, age per census block (high risk areas), network and nodal analysis to determine average commute times and area of local spread, historical trends to get number of visitors monthly at hotels and trace likely areas of spread via air travel. All of this basic GIS modeling would be real intelligence to help you manage resources proactively and determine areas of high concern due to age, or volume of cases. It would also help you setup areas of containment instead of just locking down the whole country like Italy.

Without the testing however, any analysis being done right now is no better than those articles above with huge estimates in the amount infected.

The fact that widely reported projections that anywhere from 20 to 80 percent of the world population will get the virus also shows just how hard predictions are right now with a sixty percent range of possibility. Sixty percent is huge, considering we have no vaccine or immunity to the virus unlike the Flu. The fact that South Korea can rollout drive through testing to get solid information of the virus and the USA can not, should be a rallying call to get our healthcare system sorted! It should be a matter of National Pride if we really are the best healthcare system in the world (and I say this as an independent please don’t take that statement politically)

As far as the NHL season goes baring some miracle cure or something else, I’d be surprised if we aren’t still dealing with this come May. If there playing hockey in April I’d be very thankful.

Last edited:

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Some people who were on the Diamond Princess and are currently quarantined at UNMC are still testing positive for COVID-19, and it's been nearly 4 weeks. Doesn't mean they are still contagious, but overall it's not looking good.

You've got an extremely virulent contagion, which has an initial asymptomatic phase, that stays in your system for up to a month or longer.We are all going to be infected at some point. Right now, it's about slowing the virus down so we don't end up like Italy (although way things are going right now, I'm afraid that's where we're headed).

Also, I hate to say it but this pandemic is really demonstrating just how much of an abysmal failure our privatized, market based healthcare system is in the U.S., and how poorly equipped it is to handle these sorts of crises.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
We also have examples like South Korea and China where the new cases are dropping precipitously. The South Korea response looks like a good model. But as noted above, access to testing has been crucial for them.
South Korea: COVID-19 daily new cases 2020 | Statista

Testing is the problem here in the US, they cant or wont test unless your having the worst symptoms but all those people who are not tested and have minor symptoms are still at work and shopping.. These countries that have "contained" it have citizens that follow the rules whether because the want to or know their government will 'force' it on them. People here and in Italy are going to do whatever they want. A lot of people here are not going to self quarantine at all, People here are extremely selfish ..

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
For those that have it, NHL.TV has all games on demand after they are played. I'm going to be watching games from other teams from the beginning of the season until now to pass the time.
I have it so it doesn't affect me, but it would be nice to see the league "un-lock" this for the duration of the suspension of the season so people who don't subscribe can go back and watch old games and keep their hockey appetite whetted. I'm no marketing whiz, but it seems like that would also be a good way to generate more interest in subscribing once the "free period" goes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Welp today’s a good day to re-watch Game 7

I did this (only made it through the first period and then dozed off) yesterday as well. NHL TV had the TSN feed so it was cool to watch a broadcast I haven't seen yet. Will pick up where I left off last night.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Brent Burns is about to have a really bad night tonight. My image of this game is just going to be of him flailing behind the net after Steen hit him as we were scoring the goal in the opening minute of Game 4.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

I'll just post "Schenn drop pass to nobody" every game, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad