GDT: Season Finale Game 56: Tank Bowl II (DET@ CBJ), 7PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
E01JROtWQAAN3OK

The Jackets take a stranglehold in the tank bowl by "winning" the first game. If the game goes to Overtime, the Jackets will be tank bowl champions.

The Jackets will look to repeat success of last night by starting Kivlenieks again.

But in all seriousness for a second, the Jackets will close out the miserable 2021 season tonight against Detroit. The Jackets have 46 points, with a max amount of 48, but with a dreadful 12 regulation/OT wins only ahead of Buffalo. This season is an unquestioned failure and very significant step back in the organization. Every move we made last offseason backfired, Wennberg (bought out) went on to have a successful year in Florida and largely returned to form, Anderson has had a successful first year in Montreal while Domi has never found his footing here. Something happened in the winter to push PLD away, in addition to Torts throwing gas on the fire. Nyquist was out for the year. Laine never got comfortable and sometimes lacked effort. The roster was blown apart at the deadline seeing captain Nick Foligno traded, and mainstay David Savard moved as well. There was far more negatives with the team than positives in these months and it is showcased in the record.

It wasn't all bad though. Bjorkstrand has shown continued improvement in his career and kept that going this year. Robinson has found a nice niche in the bottom 6 and has become an important player. Jack Roslovic came over in the PLD deal and has looked way better than expectations (and he's from Columbus BTW). Elvis has captured hearts and potentially locked down the #1 goalie gig. And uhh yeah thats about it for positives.

This will likely be the final game of the Tortorella era in Columbus. Some will be happy, some will be sad, and some will be mixed. Either way, it was the most successful run in franchise history and I don't think its a stretch to call him the best coach in team history. I wish Torts well and thank him for his service here.

Reflect on the team this year prior to game time if you'd like. I know I will.

It's been a strange year, both on the ice and in the real world. But the Jackets face a lot of hard decisions this summer and the near future of the team hangs in the balance of the decisions that will be made. Thank you all for the debates, discussions, and GDT banter this year. I may agree with you, I may disagree with you, and it might get heated sometimes, but at the end of the day it is always good to be here with all you people to discuss our favorite hockey team. To better days ahead.

Last edited:

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
long time poster on our boards who has went ‘undercover’ with multiple name changes over the years... I rarely post on here anymore though and we’ve had our fair share of agreements and disagreements @CBJWerenski8 but had to say lovely OP. brilliant summary. brilliant post. cheers to a better 2021-2022. #NowhereButUp.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
E01JROtWQAAN3OK

The Jackets take a stranglehold in the tank bowl by "winning" the first game. If the game goes to Overtime, the Jackets will be tank bowl champions.

The Jackets will look to repeat success of last night by starting Kivlenieks again.

But in all seriousness for a second, the Jackets will close out the miserable 2021 season tonight against Detroit. The Jackets have 46 points, with a max amount of 48, but with a dreadful 12 regulation/OT wins only ahead of Buffalo. This season is an unquestioned failure and very significant step back in the organization. Every move we made last offseason backfired, Wennberg (bought out) went on to have a successful year in Florida and largely returned to form, Anderson has had a successful first year in Montreal while Domi has never found his footing here. Something happened in the winter to push PLD away, in addition to Torts throwing gas on the fire. Nyquist was out for the year. Laine never got comfortable and sometimes lacked effort. The roster was blown apart at the deadline seeing captain Nick Foligno traded, and mainstay David Savard moved as well. There was far more negatives with the team than positives in these months and it is showcased in the record.

It wasn't all bad though. Bjorkstrand has shown continued improvement in his career and kept that going this year. Robinson has found a nice niche in the bottom 6 and has become an important player. Jack Roslovic came over in the PLD deal and has looked way better than expectations (and he's from Columbus BTW). Elvis has captured hearts and potentially locked down the #1 goalie gig. And uhh yeah thats about it for positives.

This will likely be the final game of the Tortorella era in Columbus. Some will be happy, some will be sad, and some will be mixed. Either way, it was the most successful run in franchise history and I don't think its a stretch to call him the best coach in team history. I wish Torts well and thank him for his service here.

Reflect on the team this year prior to game time if you'd like. I know I will.

It's been a strange year, both on the ice and in the real world. But the Jackets face a lot of hard decisions this summer and the near future of the team hangs in the balance of the decisions that will be made. Thank you all for the debates, discussions, and GDT banter this year. I may agree with you, I may disagree with you, and it might get heated sometimes, but at the end of the day it is always good to be here with all you people to discuss our favorite hockey team. To better days ahead.

Excellent, spot on recap. Cheers.....

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yes! The “score and you’ll sit” philosophy”. Lehtonen posts a 3 assist game - Sit! It all makes perfect sense.
If you are going to tank do it right. Elvis got relegated to the bench for the rest of the season for winning against Nashville. I just hope he's back in net on opening night next season.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Interestingly enough, they have similar point totals. (24 vs 23) Would we say Anderson’s season was a success here with the contract he signed?
Josh got off to good starts here as well for a couple of seasons and disappeared. Early in his career, he skated on the 1st line, but slowly worked his way back down to the 2nd and 3rd. We made a big deal of his quick start in Montreal, but he seemed to cool off as the season progressed. Just like here.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Interestingly enough, they have similar point totals. (24 vs 23) Would we say Anderson’s season was a success here with the contract he signed?

I would yeah, he brings an element to his game that isn’t just measured by points. He’s cooled off significantly ever since they fired Julien, but he’s still josh Anderson if you know what I mean. He makes an impact even when he’s not scoring, and plays both PP and PK. Meanwhile I haven’t really noticed max Domi recently and he plays second unit PP and zero PK.

Do we find out Torts isn’t coming back tomorrow or will they wait until Monday?

I think it’ll be pretty quick. Prior to the season ending press conferences and after the exit meetings. So I’d say early next week at some time.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Josh got off to good starts here as well for a couple of seasons and disappeared. Early in his career, he skated on the 1st line, but slowly worked his way back down to the 2nd and 3rd. We made a big deal of his quick start in Montreal, but he seemed to cool off as the season progressed. Just like here.
Admittedly I don't follow Montreal at all but he is 2nd in goal scoring there but his assist numbers are extremely low and always have been. Is that worth 7 years? I don't know.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’d much rather have Max Domi than Josh Anderson , especially once a new staff is implemented. Domi at his worst was basically a wash , after all that was made about Anderson and his hot start . Domi and Laine were basically wasted this year , and I expect a dramatic rebound next year for both players

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Great OP!

This season, obviously, was disappointing and at times down-right ugly to watch. But, even as someone who doesn't post all that much, I enjoy the discussion here and look forward to following the CBJ's very interesting offseason-to-be with you all.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Good recap @CBJWerenski8 . The one thing I'll disagree with is I think it was the right call to buy out Wennberg, and I say that as someone who appreciated things about his game... but not at that price. He's having a nice year but: a) I'm not sure it'll last; b) I'm not sure if it would've happened here anyway; and c) Even if it did happen here, it would've done nothing for us to salvage this season at least. Being able to buy him out at 1/3 was still the right long-term move for us, in my opinion.

I also think it's a bit early on the Anderson/Domi call. Anderson's definitely the leader at the end of the first round of the fight, but there's still a lot of boxing left to go. Domi's play toward the end of the season has been more inspiring, and I'd like to see what he does under the new coaching staff and hopefully with a more settled/normal offseason.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d much rather have Max Domi than Josh Anderson , especially once a new staff is implemented. Domi at his worst was basically a wash , after all that was made about Anderson and his hot start . Domi and Laine were basically wasted this year , and I expect a dramatic rebound next year for both players

Domi might be better for us in the long run but "at his worst" Domi is much much worse than Josh at his worst. He seriously hurt us with his bad first half.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good recap @CBJWerenski8 . The one thing I'll disagree with is I think it was the right call to buy out Wennberg, and I say that as someone who appreciated things about his game... but not at that price. He's having a nice year but: a) I'm not sure it'll last; b) I'm not sure if it would've happened here anyway; and c) Even if it did happen here, it would've done nothing for us to salvage this season at least. Being able to buy him out at 1/3 was still the right long-term move for us, in my opinion.

I also think it's a bit early on the Anderson/Domi call. Anderson's definitely the leader at the end of the first round of the fight, but there's still a lot of boxing left to go. Domi's play toward the end of the season has been more inspiring, and I'd like to see what he does under the new coaching staff and hopefully with a more settled/normal offseason.

I agree with all of this except I don't buy the premise that Wennberg has had any kind of bounce back year. He was a terrific PKer and defensive center for us and could occasionally chip in some scoring. That's all he is in Florida too, with a few extra goals courtesy of Huberdeau. That experiment is now over, with Wennberg now "correctly slotted" in the bottom six. It's the same player.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Wennberg isn’t really even having that nice of a year, minus an increase in goals. He’s got 3 more points in 3 less games than he did for us last year, on a much higher scoring team than last year’s CBJ. With the exception of our lack of center depth, buying him out was still the right call.

Reactions: thebus88 and DJA

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I don’t think buying out Wennberg was a mistake either. I’m just pointing it out that the move backfired due to our lack of centers and the fact he rebounded decently for Florida. It was still the right move.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->