Season 2018-2019 : What are your expectations?

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I don't trust anything that Marc touches. We had a great young defense man to help build with, and we got a disappointing player. Don't count on go ole Marc...he would trade a #1 overall for a 4th line grinder.

MB is terrible at managing players. He places to much importance on certain attributes like attitude and size, when hockey is a combination of a lot of things.

Reactions: Eagle Peninsula

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We have the worst defense in the league when the NHL is switching back to offense

We will also have amongst the worst/weakest/smallest forward group

I expect to finish with the same amount of points as our highest scorer - BGally with 62

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Much more optimistic about the season than all the negative posters are. Whether the record is good or bad, I think we will play a more exciting, dynamic game given our rosters strengths(speed, youth, and yes even skill) and the new coaching staff which looks as though it reflects the current state of the league and not Therrien-era 'Grine deez guise" style.

Lots can happen in a season, and I think we hover between a WC spot at best and 6th in the division at the worst. If we get a top pick great, but we have a lot of guys who are hungry to make it and establish themselves and though Bergevin has taken apart the previous core, the reset button hasn't put us in the absolute basement talent wise. We are essentially a young supporting cast waiting for a star (Kotkaniemi?) The difference between now and past seasons is that the supporting cast is age-appropriate and not going to be too old once our top guy(s) come of age. Lots to be wary about but ultimately I've seen much much worse teams wear the CH.

There is a way to go to get to being a contender but it appears that were taking the first step in that direction as opposed to a desperate push for 8th place.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Can't do anything with this defense corps.

Can't move the puck, can't sustain any pressure on the opponent, can't avoid getting hemmed in our own zone, can't keep pucks out of goal, can't generate momentum and raise morale. Can't give the team an identity, can't enable youngsters to thrive and learn, can't develop players' offensive game, can't change the focus from anything but defense... Can't do anything.

I'm sorry to say that I expect a miserable year and more failure at developing players.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I believe this team will try hard which wasn't always the case last season. Unfortunately, this isn't little league and trying hard doesn't produce a good team. As a result, we will finish bottom 3.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Kind of worried Niemi will steal enough games to keep us from getting a top 5 pick. :laugh: Probably finish with the 12th pick or something frustrating like that.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You need to score goals to win in this league and trying to shut down teams and out work/beat them with a better attitude is nothing more than a fantasy. We are bad on D and outside of Kotkaniemi we don't really have any good talent at centre. I am hoping that this year is the end of Marc Bergevin, they can keep him with the team in some capacity but enough is enough. I predicted this before and I stand by it, 65 points and a bottom 5 finish.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
I expect the young players to play with intensity most games. I expect so see more exciting games. Because the team is young, I expect lots of shots on net but little finishing, i.e. not many goals. I think that Price will have a better season but enough for the playoffs? (would require a Vezina to succeed this year, especially the first half of the season).

To make the playoffs, you need a Vegas type season when many players outperform their potential. For that you need Mete, Rielly and Ouellet to have a great season. You need Kotkaniemi to be a star and Drouin becoming one. You need Lehkonen and Armia having their best season. You need Domi to prove doubters wrong. You need Weber back early and in shape. You need Benn and Alzner out of the lineup for some reason (due to bad play, trade, injury, etc.) so to have a faster defense. Gallagher, Byron not sure what to expect; they already did amazing last year. Tatar looks motivated so let's see what he could do here, maybe he will prove Vegas and Detroit wrong. If Danault plays his usual self, would be perfect for the third line. And please let Plekanec play his 1000th game... and after that it is De La Rose all the way.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
1- I expect the team to play a more open games, more exciting. But i also expect this will lead with tons of bad turnovers and bad goals too.

2- I expect this team to be a bubble team until trade deadline and then blew it off to get a better pick.

3- As it already started, we have one the worst defense in the entire NHL and still a weak offense which will lead (already started) in Price getting blasted for everything.

4- I expect Bergevin to be out of a job at the end of the year.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
i agree, this
Fighting for a playoffs spot
i agree, this team will be much better then people think and will battle for a playoff spot.
For me max had become a weight pulling the team down and we are better without him

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You need to score goals to win in this league and trying to shut down teams and out work/beat them with a better attitude is nothing more than a fantasy. We are bad on D and outside of Kotkaniemi we don't really have any good talent at centre. I am hoping that this year is the end of Marc Bergevin, they can keep him with the team in some capacity but enough is enough. I predicted this before and I stand by it, 65 points and a bottom 5 finish.

Yeah that's my own expectations, along with Bergevin setting new records in failure. 42 reg losses and then out the door, sayonara and adieu.

Reactions: OldCraig71

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
4-5 wins more than last year.
80-82 points top 10 pick.
I just hope the games are better to watch.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
i agree, this

i agree, this team will be much better then people think and will battle for a playoff spot.
For me max had become a weight pulling the team down and we are better without him
Of course, i will assume the wont go back to putting drouin at center, and playing pylons like benn.
My prediction is based on the youth movement continuing

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Have games that are more enjoyable, score more goals and lose games because you were beat by a better team and not because they beat themselves. Lost so many games in an embarrassing way last season because of stupid mistakes from bad players. I'm not saying they can't make mistakes but when every game you lose is because of an idiotic mistake one or two players made and not because the other team was just better it gets pretty draining knowing that they're never going to hold a lead. The players making the mistakes would change on any given night but the results were the same.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's all about the U25 kids. Don't care about the standings -- I just want to see Mete, Juulsen, Reilly look like the core of a good future D. I want to see Domi, Drouin, Hudon, Lehkonen look like top-six forwards. Bonus points if Scherbak and de la Rose step up.

As much as I'd love a top-3 pick next year, I'd be happy if our existing youth develop well enough to win a few more games.

Reactions: bsl

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think, if healthy, we'll be more competitive than last year. I'm expecting some high speed games, but also some where they just can't get anything going. I'm excited to see all the youth coming together as the season progresses.

I say we get around 33 wins/74 points and pick somewhere between 6-12 and we'll draft
LD Bowen Byram

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Can't do anything with this defense corps.

Can't move the puck, can't sustain any pressure on the opponent, can't avoid getting hemmed in our own zone, can't keep pucks out of goal, can't generate momentum and raise morale. Can't give the team an identity, can't enable youngsters to thrive and learn, can't develop players' offensive game, can't change the focus from anything but defense... Can't do anything.

I'm sorry to say that I expect a miserable year and more failure at developing players.

Sure reilly and petry and mete cant move the puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad