Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Mark Hunter would be a fantastic hire here. Just his knowledge of the Leafs operations would be a great asset. To think that he's considering the Oilers, a team in a horrible cap bind without a lot of assets in their system, over an Ontario-based team with a ton of room to grow tells you everything you need to know. Man, it is so painful to be a fan of this team...

did he turn down being considered here?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
did he turn down being considered here?
No, I guess the only thing is we have heard nothing of him accepting/being offered an interview, as he has with Edmonton and it's been widely reported.

I'd assume we would have heard something, but we definitely haven't heard of any interest or anything like that from our end. I'd like to think we would have had interest in him though.

Us hearing nothing, while everywhere else has made hires or are reporting names that are being interviewed for coaches, GM's, POHO, tells me we aren't in on any big or even well known names.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Season ticket renewal campaign is over thus so is the search for a POHO. Or Melnyk is just delaying the hire thus delaying paying another employee for as long as he can. Funny that basically every other team in the league that needs to make significant hires have done so meanwhile in Ottawa we wait...for what??
Did it occur to you that maybe the people they are considering still have a team in the playoffs? Do you think Yzerman gets hired before Tampa is done?

Keep bashing tho

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I would definitely be interested in Hunter. However, would he not be more of a GM candidate (what Edmonton is looking for) instead of a senior advisor president type?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would definitely be interested in Hunter. However, would he not be more of a GM candidate (what Edmonton is looking for) instead of a senior advisor president type?
Yeah, that's why he left the Leafs org, them giving the GM to Dubas instead (terrible decision, but that's another discussion).

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No, I guess the only thing is we have heard nothing of him accepting/being offered an interview, as he has with Edmonton and it's been widely reported.

I'd assume we would have heard something, but we definitely haven't heard of any interest or anything like that from our end. I'd like to think we would have had interest in him though.

Us hearing nothing, while everywhere else has made hires or are reporting names that are being interviewed for coaches, GM's, POHO, tells me we aren't in on any big or even well known names.

fair enough. a few guys we've heard aren't interested so I wasn't sure if he was one of them.

it'll be interesting to see what they do and what influence the league has. I read an article recently and I was surprised at how proactive the league is in lobbying for candidates that it has a history of good dealings with.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Did it occur to you that maybe the people they are considering still have a team in the playoffs? Do you think Yzerman gets hired before Tampa is done?

Keep bashing tho

Did we not hear about Yzerman potentially going to Detroit long before he got hired?

That was his whole point, that you always hear reports of potential hires before they happen, yet there's been zilch when it comes to Ottawa, which is looking for both a POHO and a head coach. It's a bad sign.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Did we not hear about Yzerman potentially going to Detroit long before he got hired?

That was his whole point, that you always hear reports of potential hires before they happen, yet there's been zilch when it comes to Ottawa, which is looking for both a POHO and a head coach. It's a bad sign.
I dunno, I think silence is golden for this team

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I know what his whole point was. Some stories are considered the worst kept secrets in hockey. And then there is Yzerman, as obvious an ending and yet only occurred when the season was over. So you want more talking head scuttlebutt.

Others are teams extremely focussed on their Cup runs. Brad Shaw is busy right now. Other candidates may be involved and teams do not need the distraction until their seasons are over.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Dale Hunter wouldn't take an interview to be the coach in Ottawa back in 2016, and the reputation of the organization has done nothing but take a massive beating since then. Not outlandish to suggest that Mark Hunter is also uninterested in working for the Senators.

Shawn Simpson is a bit of a blowhard, but he also knows lots of people in the hockey world, and he's been adamant that neither guy would consider Ottawa.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yup.. Sens will have to pay up and give them authority over Hockey Ops. If they are willing to do that, they should be able to land one of them. I will believe it when I see it though.
This will always be the kicker. No point in hiring anyone if it's just a cheap nobody required to be another Melnyk yes man.

Reactions: bert

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Yup.. Sens will have to pay up and give them authority over Hockey Ops. If they are willing to do that, they should be able to land one of them. I will believe it when I see it though.

And with all that money they have in the bank from the rejected offers to Duchene, Stone and EK... money should not be an issue with a hire here

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

That is the reason any competent and confident person will not sign with the Senators; the Senators org is a mess under Melnyk who meddles too much and will not give complete authority to the new POHO to hire, fire, etc. the org under him.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I know what his whole point was. Some stories are considered the worst kept secrets in hockey. And then there is Yzerman, as obvious an ending and yet only occurred when the season was over. So you want more talking head scuttlebutt.

Others are teams extremely focussed on their Cup runs. Brad Shaw is busy right now. Other candidates may be involved and teams do not need the distraction until their seasons are over.
Isn't this the POHO board? Trying to derail again? Why are you discussing Brad Shaw in here?? Don't recall him ever being named a POHO candidate. Actually don't remember anyone being mentioned as a candidate just a list of people than weren't interested.

Thankfully the Ottawa Senators are the only team considerate enough to put all hires on hold until the playoffs are over though. How dare the other teams fill their vacancies?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens and RaMai

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Isn't this the POHO board? Trying to derail again? Why are you discussing Brad Shaw in here?? Don't recall him ever being named a POHO candidate. Actually don't remember anyone being mentioned as a candidate just a list of people than weren't interested.

Thankfully the Ottawa Senators are the only team considerate enough to put all hires on hold until the playoffs are over though. How dare the other teams fill their vacancies?

The pro Melnyk excuses are ridiculous when all the other clubs are filling vacancies

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mark Hunter would be a fantastic hire here. Just his knowledge of the Leafs operations would be a great asset. To think that he's considering the Oilers, a team in a horrible cap bind without a lot of assets in their system, over an Ontario-based team with a ton of room to grow tells you everything you need to know. Man, it is so painful to be a fan of this team...

You think the sens situation is better than the Oilers?... On top of the uncertainty of the ownership here Edmonton has the best player in the world at 21 and another superstar that is 24.

Like many have said in this thread, its going to be a Melnyk yes man so it wont be anyone that we have heard of or is competing for jobs with other organizations.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I guess it isn't conceivable to you that execs from the remaining playoff teams may be on the Sens radar list? What fake outrage lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad