Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Flames' Sean Monahan: Fully recovered from offseason surgeries

Monahan (wrist) believes he's 100 percent healthy and recovered from offseason surgeries, Pat Steinberg of Sportsnet 960 The Fan reports.
Analysis:

Monahan underwent wrist, groin and two hernia surgeries in April, but his recovery from those numerous procedures has evidently gone swimmingly, as he's already declaring himself fully healthy one month ahead of training camp. The 23-year-old pivot, who racked up 31 goals and 64 points in 74 games last season, could offer fantasy owners fantastic value in the middle rounds of drafts this year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Probably a blessing in disguise that we didn't make the playoffs. We likely would've gotten bounced in 4 but an extra 12 games could have made things significantly harder for his off-season recovery

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Monahan has been playing with wrist issues for over 2 years. Everyone should be looking forward to Sean not being held together with binder twine and duct tape.

A healthy Sean with a better shot.. 40 maybe 45 goals?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The reason people don't think Monahan is elite is because he isn't flashy. But he doesn't have to be, his positional awareness is on another level. The points will only continue to pile up and he'll continue to be an underrated player. The guy just has that "it" factor and always knows where to be.

Reactions: SKRusty

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Didn't realise Mony led the league in scoring last week, that's awesome. And he's only gonna get better. Can't wait to see him walk out of the awards ceremony with a Richard this year.

Reactions: Sk8M8

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The reason people don't think Monahan is elite is because he isn't flashy. But he doesn't have to be, his positional awareness is on another level. The points will only continue to pile up and he'll continue to be an underrated player. The guy just has that "it" factor and always knows where to be.
His goal scoring instincts are elite, but his passing isn't quite good enough for me to think of him as elite overall. His passes tend to get intercepted pretty easily, and the majority of the ones I see ten foot passess to Gaudreau - which isn't a terrible idea, but it also makes Gaudreau more of a target if the puck is constantly going to him.

Not that he's a bad passer; just doesn't excel at it.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
His goal scoring instincts are elite, but his passing isn't quite good enough for me to think of him as elite overall. His passes tend to get intercepted pretty easily, and the majority of the ones I see ten foot passess to Gaudreau - which isn't a terrible idea, but it also makes Gaudreau more of a target if the puck is constantly going to him.

Not that he's a bad passer; just doesn't excel at it.

This is so false, his passing is so understated it's hilarious. You're free to have your opinion, but his passing is so underestimated because he rarely has to make the same Johnny-esque pass.

I don't know where these arguments against Monahan come from, "can't win a board battle", "passing isn't that great", "only tap ins", the only truthful one is his skating isn't the best.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Obviously a huge mistake on the Nhl's part. He's a 3rd line center at best who's being carried by JG. If only Bennett was on that line.

This meme has really run it's course.

Hate to break up the Seanahands love fest, because I really do love the player and think he's deserving of all the accolades he gets, but I still see a lot of the limitations in his game I saw when I posted this topic nearly 3 years ago. Still gets hemmed in too often, still too soft defensively and offensively, still too slow to loose pucks, and still defers to his linemates too much rather than creating himself. Great goalscorer and such an fantastic pick to build around, but hasn't gotten to that all situations play driving elite #1 centerman this team honestly needs him to be. And by hasn't gotten there I do mean yet as he's only 24 years old so really he's just entering his prime as a big center, so still some room for growth.

This is weird to say as the Flames are winning a lot but I'd still like to see him and Gaudreau split up at some point for a bit. Give him Tkachuk or Bennett and Czarnik/Dube/Frolik/Neal and let him learn to be more of a catalyst on his line rather than shoehorned into being the trigger finger. Might give him an opportunity to feast on some of the lesser centers as well and not have to be constantly matched up against the other team's top guys. Not saying it should be permanent or anything as we know Gaudreau/Monahan works, but maybe Gaudreau/Lindholm-winger could work just as well or better.

It's less that I think Monahan sucks and more that I just think Johnny Gaudreau is a hockey artist, he might actually be able to squeeze blood from a stone, he once made Josh freaking Jooris a 0.4 ppg player. Monahan has been a really good fit for him and has certainly benefited from playing with him, but I think he's also let some bad habits creep into his game because of constantly getting to play with Johnny. The Flames really haven't been in a position to spread the wealth for the last couple years, they needed that top line to drag them around offensively. With the depth they've acquired I think that's changed and Peters has an opportunity to try some different looks.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Hate to break up the Seanahands love fest, because I really do love the player and think he's deserving of all the accolades he gets, but I still see a lot of the limitations in his game I saw when I posted this topic nearly 3 years ago. Still gets hemmed in too often, still too soft defensively and offensively, still too slow to loose pucks, and still defers to his linemates too much rather than creating himself. Great goalscorer and such an fantastic pick to build around, but hasn't gotten to that all situations play driving elite #1 centerman this team honestly needs him to be. And by hasn't gotten there I do mean yet as he's only 24 years old so really he's just entering his prime as a big center, so still some room for growth.

You do realize that if Monahan wasn't the things you are nitpicking on him for, he'd arguably be one of the best players in the leauge right?

He'd be like a lovechild between Patrice Bergeron and Jeff Carter, but adding them together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janks

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This is so false, his passing is so understated it's hilarious. You're free to have your opinion, but his passing is so underestimated because he rarely has to make the same Johnny-esque pass.

I don't know where these arguments against Monahan come from, "can't win a board battle", "passing isn't that great", "only tap ins", the only truthful one is his skating isn't the best.
Next game I'll try to remember to keep a tally of Monahan's passes, because I've gotta tell ya, I don't think he's any better a passer than Backlund is. Which, again, is not bad (it's above average); it's just not overly high end. Actually Backlund may even make better passing decisions at times, but that's all supposition until someone (possibly me) starts tracking the two of them.

I am curious, though, if we have this centre who is elite at all things except skating as you say, why is he not putting up Tavares numbers next to one of the best LWs in the game?

Reactions: Dack

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You do realize that if Monahan wasn't the things you are nitpicking on him for, he'd arguably be one of the best players in the leauge right?

Well NHL.com already says he is, at least for this week :D.

You do realize there's a difference between constructive criticism and hating for the sake of hating right?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Realized I should probably do more than a joke. Monahan is not perfect. He's not a franchise center. He can absolutely improve on parts of his game.

However, he's still a great player to have on this team, and I still can't help but feel he's underappreciated. I would have thought a fanbase like ours that has arguably had a true top line C maybe 2-3 years in the past 20 prior to him would appreciate having him around more.

This is a very odd time to be having this discussion when he's been named the first star of the week in the entire league lol.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Monahan is not a puck carrier and never will be and his passing reflects that. His passing ability and decision making with the puck is at a relatively high end, but due his positioning and utilization in the offensive zone he never needs to make a flashy or incredibly skilled pass. What he does so successfully however is making very fast, short one touch passes that open up many different lanes and options for not only his teammates but himself as well. His ability to find the open spots while under duress is elite.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

This is weird to say as the Flames are winning a lot but I'd still like to see him and Gaudreau split up at some point for a bit. Give him Tkachuk or Bennett and Czarnik/Dube/Frolik/Neal and let him learn to be more of a catalyst on his line rather than shoehorned into being the trigger finger. Might give him an opportunity to feast on some of the lesser centers as well and not have to be constantly matched up against the other team's top guys. Not saying it should be permanent or anything as we know Gaudreau/Monahan works, but maybe Gaudreau/Lindholm-winger could work just as well or better.

It's less that I think Monahan sucks and more that I just think Johnny Gaudreau is a hockey artist, he might actually be able to squeeze blood from a stone, he once made Josh freaking Jooris a 0.4 ppg player. Monahan has been a really good fit for him and has certainly benefited from playing with him, but I think he's also let some bad habits creep into his game because of constantly getting to play with Johnny. The Flames really haven't been in a position to spread the wealth for the last couple years, they needed that top line to drag them around offensively. With the depth they've acquired I think that's changed and Peters has an opportunity to try some different looks.
I would love to see Bennett center for Gaudreau too.... just to shut those HF members up that keep insisting that Monahan isn't a #1 center and Bennett is... and Peters, Gulutzan, and Hartley are/were doing it all wrong.

I will put my trust in Peters player evaluation any day over some anonymous internet coach who's probably never coached anyone over the age of 12, if at all, and their letter of application for an NHL coaching job probably wouldn't make it past the mail room.

No offense meant... not specifically talking about you BRW.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Monahan is not a puck carrier and never will be and his passing reflects that. His passing ability and decision making with the puck is at a relatively high end, but due his positioning and utilization in the offensive zone he never needs to make a flashy or incredibly skilled pass. What he does so successfully however is making very fast, short one touch passes that open up many different lanes and options for not only his teammates but himself as well. His ability to find the open spots while under duress is elite.

Or he plays with the most gifted play-maker in the league and his job is letting JG use his gift. All the way through Junior and in the first year with the Flames Sean was the play-maker. Hell he made Jones look good. He made Hudler look good before JG was elevated to the first line.

Monahan is much like Joe Sakic who sniped goals with Tanguay and other wingers that were play makers. When placed with snipers they focus on their play-making.

You guys just don't remember a time without JG. Oh and Sean has been setting up Elias rather nicely. Look no further than the tic-tac-toe plays JG-Mony and Elias do or the pass Sean made to Johnny in Buffalo.

Oh and with Johnny on any line he should be the play-maker I don't care if you have McDavid playing..

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Or he plays with the most gifted play-maker in the league and his job is letting JG use his gift. All the way through Junior and in the first year with the Flames Sean was the play-maker. Hell he made Jones look good. He made Hudler look good before JG was elevated to the first line.

Monahan is much like Joe Sakic who sniped goals with Tanguay and other wingers that were play makers. When placed with snipers they focus on their play-making.

You guys just don't remember a time without JG. Oh and Sean has been setting up Elias rather nicely. Look no further than the tic-tac-toe plays JG-Mony and Elias do or the pass Sean made to Johnny in Buffalo.

Oh and with Johnny on any line he should be the play-maker I don't care if you have McDavid playing..

It never fails to amaze me how underappreciated Monahan is...simply because he doesn't flash. People don't get it. Which doesn't matter, as long as Peters gets it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

The biggest issue is consistency over the full season. Not that he can't have a game or two here and there, even a handful. It's when the handful stretches turn into 10-20 game chunks of being somewhat invisible. Hopefully that doesn't happen this year.

Skill-wise I think he can be a top 10-15 when playing at his capability. Maybe higher when he enters his prime.

But right now the only real complaint has been consistency. Maybe some soft play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad