Sean Monahan: Will this be the year he moves into the "elite" center category?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Great draft pick. If I recall he was a reach at 6th overall in that draft.

Most of the Flames speculation was that they would pick Monahan or E.Lindholm. When Lindholm went 5th to Carolina, it was assumed Monahan would be the choice.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Most of the Flames speculation was that they would pick Monahan or E.Lindholm. When Lindholm went 5th to Carolina, it was assumed Monahan would be the choice.
yeah but I think Nurse fell and maybe another guy. Anyhow, pretty solid draft

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think Monahan leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to physicality and that separates him from most elite centers. He isn't particularly fast, shifty, big, strong, etc.. Especially for a guy this tall he should play bigger to become an elite force. Now I just don't see it. But again, he is a solid 1st line center and that's good enough as it is. There aren't enough Malkins and McDavids to go around.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
ROR is not better than Monahan. In 9 years Ryan O'Reilly has one season where he matched Sean's career high in points. Sean has 3 seasons better than Ryan's next best season. O'Reilly has never broken 30 goals, Monahan has twice. Mony has 10 more GWG in 4 less seasons. O'Reilly averages are 4 more assists per season, but is no where near the same goal scorer. Other than face-offs, Monahan is a better player in every aspect.
ROR is the superior defensive player by a wide margin. Monahan is the better offensive player by a small margin. Monahan is the better goal scorer (even if j-hockey helps tremendously in this regard) and has the better contract and is younger. But overall most would agree ROR is the better all around hockey player right now.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Elite is a controversial tag on HF, and not one that is likely to be awarded him based on just this season this far.

Hell, he'd probably need multiple seasons of either 40 goals or PPG before HF would even get a majority agreeing to call him one.

I fully expect at least one 40 goal season in his career for what it's worth. Especially if our PP doesn't suck ass.

And those people that say RoR isn't a top line C are just wrong. He may not be a franchise guy, but if he has the skills to put up 60 points + while playing Selke level defense, that's a 1st line C.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
ROR is not better than Monahan. In 9 years Ryan O'Reilly has one season where he matched Sean's career high in points. Sean has 3 seasons better than Ryan's next best season. O'Reilly has never broken 30 goals, Monahan has twice. Mony has 10 more GWG in 4 less seasons. O'Reilly averages are 4 more assists per season, but is no where near the same goal scorer. Other than face-offs, Monahan is a better player in every aspect.

What a convoluted description that makes the difference appear way higher than it is.

Monahan's top 4 years: 64, 62, 61, 58
O'Reilly's top 4 years: 64, 61, 60, 55

So a total of 5 points difference in those 4 seasons.

And while Monahan missed games last year, O'Reilly has missed games in other years where his totals would be higher.

Overall, since Monahan became a top liner in 14-15, their stat lines are as follows:

Monahan: 333 GP, 124 G, 141 A, 265 PTS

O'Reilly: 318 GP, 86 G, 161 A, 247 PTS

Per 82 games that's:

Monahan: 30.5 G, 34.7 A, 65.2 PTS
O'Reilly: 22.2 G, 41.5 A, 63.7 PTS

Monahan is the better goalscorer but they produce similarly. O'Reilly struggled to score at ES in Buffalo, but so did everyone sans Eichel, and he was fine in Colorado, so it was likely an anomaly. Monahan also has better support. Overall, Monahan is better offensively, but O'Reilly is the better play driver and better defensively, though Monahan made great strides there last year. I don't know if O'Reilly is actually better, but he's at least on the same level.

The problem is too many Flames fans want to use smaller samples for Monahan to make him look better than he is, so they get offended when he gets compared to certain players who produce similarly or he's excluded from top 20 lists. There's a lot of "well, outside of this cold start" and "before this injury". But it's been 4 years of pretty similar production. He improved his paces last year, but they were also largely in keeping with the increase in league scoring. Sure he should be hitting his peak years soon but he's also getting to the point where he probably just is what he is outside of maybe a spike year or two.

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
Someone on here once said something like "I don't trust Monahan if he has the puck on his stick for longer than a second."

It's so true.

One of the deadliest one-timers in the league. But not much else.

No complaints here.
"They don't ask how...."

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Need to see a few years of it to say, really. So far he's been good for 60-65 points a year, which is good(not "elite"). A handful of games this season has been VERY good.

But can he keep it up all year?

Gotta wait & see.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
he's good. no doubt. but playing with gaudreau definitely helps him (and his stats). don't think he'll ever be considered elite.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Great draft pick. If I recall he was a reach at 6th overall in that draft.

Wot?

Monahan going into the draft year was #2 or #3 on most peoples lists. He was overtaken by Drouin (who is no where near the player Monahan is), Sasha (who was lowly ranked pre-season) and Lindholm over the course of the year.

I don't know where you got the notion he was a reach.

Too many people commenting in this thread who have never watched Monahan for more than 2 games (not saying you should, but don't make absolutes about players you know nothing about).

Monahan with an unsustainable high shooting %? Like the f*** are you looking at.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Seen him play a lot....He seems to put up good stats,but is not the most inspiring player...I've watched many games where he is completely anonymous...

He is a really good player,and a good pick.... but not an elite 1C in any way...Which does bode a problem for the Flames playoff hopes moving forward...The Canucks may have one (Pettersson),and the Oilers most certainly do (McDavid).

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He’s a solid player for sure but his stats are for sure inflated because of how much he’s had an elite winger in Gaudreau on his line.

Reactions: sens13

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Seen him play a lot....He seems to put up good stats,but is not the most inspiring player...I've watched many games where he is completely anonymous...

He is a really good player,and a good pick.... but not an elite 1C in any way...Which does bode a problem for the Flames playoff hopes moving forward...The Canucks may have one (Pettersson),and the Oilers most certainly do (McDavid).

Cerebral player is a good descriptor. Doesn't play a flashy game, but he reads the ice incredibly well and always seems to know where to be.

While not ideal compared to a Pettersson or McDavid, the Flames hopes would be on depth and having a dynamic winger, combined with great shutdown ability from Backlund/Gio. The hope was that Bennett would be that line driver you talk of, but hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wot?

Monahan going into the draft year was #2 or #3 on most peoples lists. He was overtaken by Drouin (who is no where near the player Monahan is), Sasha (who was lowly ranked pre-season) and Lindholm over the course of the year.

I don't know where you got the notion he was a reach.

Too many people commenting in this thread who have never watched Monahan for more than 2 games (not saying you should, but don't make absolutes about players you know nothing about).

Monahan with an unsustainable high shooting %? Like the **** are you looking at.

I think you've read those posts wrong. The point was that if he hits 40 goals it will likely be the result of a spike year with unsustainable numbers, not that his career so far has been unsustainable. He's shown he can sustain higher than average numbers.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's not improbable, but it's not going to be his norm, and is likely going to require a bit of luck and an inflated shooting percentage. 31 in 74 games is still only a 34 goal pace, and he had seasons of 31, 27 and 27 in full years before that. There's lots of players than can score in the 30-35 goal range but don't end up hitting 40.

How many players score in that range consistently their whole careers and never hit 40 though? It might not happen for Monahan, but if it did, it wouldn't be a "fluke".

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pretty easy, in terms of what he is.

Great scorer. Ice cold veins. No a great skater, puck handler or spectacular vision.

If Monahan was your 2C you’d be golden. As is, he’s a good complimentary piece for Gaudreau; and that’s good enough for Calgary. Flames don’t live or die by the first line centre.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How many players score in that range consistently their whole careers and never hit 40 though? It might not happen for Monahan, but if it did, it wouldn't be a "fluke".

Not a fluke, more of a spike. And it's true not many do, but if someone is going to consider a player elite due to scoring 40 goals regardless of how good the rest of their game is, like the poster was suggesting, then the player should probably be a consistent 40 goal scorer/threat to be considered at that level imo. That's why they would be considered elite, unlike the other players who might be able to do it once.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Will this be the year Sean Monahan moves into the "elite" center category?

Yes! Most Absolutely Yes! He's """elite""" just like Nazem Kadri, Nikolaj Ehlers, Bo Horvat, Max Domi, Matt Duchene, and Leon Draisaitl. Why, teams would fall over themselves for the chance to have Sean Monahan be their """elite""" center!

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Is Wild Bill elite? If Monahan somehow is ever a 40 goal getter it will probably be on the back of an inflated Sh% and won't ever be repeated, just like Wild Bill last year.

Sean has a career 15% shooter. He just needs to stay healthy and shoot a little bit more. 40 isn't that hard for him to reach, and if people are really concerned about assists, given the flames current offence I think this is his best chance so far to pile those on.

Also, wild Bill wasn't a consistent 27-33 goal scorer.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Someone on here once said something like "I don't trust Monahan if he has the puck on his stick for longer than a second."

It's so true.

One of the deadliest one-timers in the league. But not much else.

No complaints here.
"They don't ask how...."

Yeah Monahan can't carry the puck at all, and I can't label you an elite center if you can't be a puck carrier/driver.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably not, and I have my doubts he ever will be. That's not really an indictment on him either, just that there's only so many elite players in this league and right now the league boasts a lot of incredible centers.

What he does happen to be elite at is goal scoring, one of the more meaningful aspects of the game. Always reminds me of Joe Pavelski, only with a better shot and less tipping ability. He's the kind of player that creeps up the lists every year and shows steady progression throughout his career. If he can bring his defense and physicality up a level he can be all the Flames need him to be, he just isn't there yet.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A lot of people say that Monahan can't carry the puck. However why would he when he has one of the best puck carriers in the world to the left of him? Just because he doesn't, doesn't mean he can't. I watch a lot of Flames hockey and every time the Gaudreau line is on the ice, JG is ALWAYS the one carrying the puck up the ice... and rightly so. He's a Picasso at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad