Sean Monahan: Will this be the year he moves into the "elite" center category?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Last year, Monahan played most, if not all, of the season injured. Finally after 74 games the Flames shut him down and he went under the knife. He had four separate surgeries.

4 surgeries for Flames' Sean Monahan since being shut down - Sportsnet.ca

Calgary Flames forward told reporters Monday at the team’s locker clean out that he has undergone four separate surgeries since being shut down for the season in late March.
Monahan first had left wrist reconstruction surgery, followed by two hernia surgeries and a groin procedure. The wrist injury in particular is something the 23-year-old said had been bothering him for a long time.
“I felt like I was playing with one hand for a while,” Monahan said. “I lost all my grip strength in my hand. It definitely limits you. At the end of the day, you try to go out there and perform at the best ability you can.”
Despite being injured for most of the season he still was able to score 31 goals and assist on 33 others.

This year Monahan is finally healthy and the score sheet reflects that. He's in 6th place in total points among centers and he's in 11th place in Pts/GP among the league centers.

center1.JPG

center2.JPG

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Huge Flames fan, but Monahan just doesn't have the playmaking ability or skating to be considered elite. He is one of the best goalscorers in the league. He plays with one of the best playmakers in the league, in Gaudreau, who Monahan is a perfect fit for. Basically, Monahan is an elite goal scorer, but not an elite player overall.

The Calgary scenario is atypical, as the winger is the main playmaker and the centre is the complimentary piece. This is simply because Gaudreau is too small to play centre.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Huge Flames fan, but Monahan just doesn't have the playmaking ability or skating to be considered elite. He is one of the best goalscorers in the league. He plays with one of the best playmakers in the league, in Gaudreau, who Monahan is a perfect fit for. Basically, Monahan is an elite goal scorer, but not an elite player overall.

The Calgary scenario is atypical, as the winger is the main playmaker and the centre is the complimentary piece. This is simply because Gaudreau is too small to play centre.

Mony isn't fast, but he's not as slow as people always say. He also has good playmaking skills, it's just simply not the focus of his game.

That said, if he scores 40 goals this season I consider him elite regardless of an assist total.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nope. He won't keep it up and he doesn't drive play outside of his goalscoring enough to be among the elite. Good player, but he'll continue to be a borderline top 20 center

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Mony isn't fast, but he's not as slow as people always say. He also has good playmaking skills, it's just simply not the focus of his game.

That said, if he scores 40 goals this season I consider him elite regardless of an assist total.

Is Wild Bill elite? If Monahan somehow is ever a 40 goal getter it will probably be on the back of an inflated Sh% and won't ever be repeated, just like Wild Bill last year.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
No he isn't. He is great but without Gaudreau he is more of a high #2C. Not to take anything away from him cause he has proven alot of us wrong but i just dont think he can drive a teams offense like u would expect an elite player to do

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

To be an elite centre, you really need that high points total with either the playmaking or the power forward type game. I just think Monahan's game is too one-dimensional to be considered a truly elite all around player. You have to remember he's being compared to other first line centres, and to be an elite first line centre, you really have to be top 5 in all around game.

Like you say he's not slow, but when compared to other first line centres, his skating is below average. Like I said before, that's fine. Monahan is one of the best trigger guys in the game, and he's perfect for a line with Gaudreau, who is an elite playmaker.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Is Wild Bill elite? If Monahan somehow is ever a 40 goal getter it will probably be on the back of an inflated Sh% and won't ever be repeated, just like Wild Bill last year.

I like how you make it seem like it's some kind of unlikely improbability that Monahan reaches 40. He had 31 in 74 games last year, playing with injury on a team that gave up. He's currently on pace for over 40, on a team that typically starts very cold.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Nah.

ROR is better and he's labeled a high end 2C.

ROR is not better than Monahan. In 9 years Ryan O'Reilly has one season where he matched Sean's career high in points. Sean has 3 seasons better than Ryan's next best season. O'Reilly has never broken 30 goals, Monahan has twice. Mony has 10 more GWG in 4 less seasons. O'Reilly averages are 4 more assists per season, but is no where near the same goal scorer. Other than face-offs, Monahan is a better player in every aspect.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I like how you make it seem like it's some kind of unlikely improbability that Monahan reaches 40. He had 31 in 74 games last year, playing with injury on a team that gave up. He's currently on pace for over 40, on a team that typically starts very cold.

Because it is.

Monahan rides and gets by on high Sh% to begin with. He doesn't shoot enough volume to ever score 40 goals. Johnny G sets him up on a platter for at least 5-10 goals per year so he's gotta bank on that for his production too.

In short, I doubt Monahan will ever pot 40. If he ever does, it will be a fluke.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
One of the best scorers in the game, if healthy I think he's a 35G/70 point guy but he just doesn't tilt the ice enough in way that other elite centers do.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It's not improbable, but it's not going to be his norm, and is likely going to require a bit of luck and an inflated shooting percentage. 31 in 74 games is still only a 34 goal pace, and he had seasons of 31, 27 and 27 in full years before that. There's lots of players than can score in the 30-35 goal range but don't end up hitting 40.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Monahan has actually been playing better defense since that 9-1 blowout and actually caused some goals by creating turnovers. If he can do that and score 40+ maybe he will get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad