Sean Monahan or John Tavares

Which contract would you take?

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Primarily debating who's contract would you take on your team right now? Two centers best known for their finishing ability that are not the fleetest of foot.

Tavares 2020-21
9G 17A 26P
Signed for 11 million per until 2025

Monahan 2020-21
7G 13A 20P
Signed for 6.375 million per until 2023

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I dont like either but if I had to choose one it would be the lesser of 2 evils. Monahan

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
With the words "right now" included in the OP, I would actually take Tavares.

Both are paid as top-line guys but neither are the #1 C on their team (Lindholm in Calgary, Matthews in Toronto). However, despite being older, Tavares is still scoring at a higher rate (currently around #50 in the league) and has done so throughout his career. Even as he ages, I'd argue that Tavares' contribution might not drop too much since his game isn't very speed-oriented, such that if they convert him to the wing later he could still make an impact at a high level.

Of course Monahan may prove this "slump" (and with all due respect 0.69 points/ game is not really a slump) is just momentary and come back hot, but there's still no certainty that he could reach the same offensive heights and consistency that Tavares has, so unless he really slows down in his scoring I'd say John's is still worth it as a top-flight player in the NHL, therefore warranting the contract.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
This shouldn’t be remotely close. Put the dollar amount aside Tavares is gonna be 35 when his contact is done. Monahan will be 29 haha. Tavares is the better player right now but I think each year they will get a lot closer.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
With contracts, Monahan. Makes pretty much half as much for half as long. and he isnt half the player.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Prior to this season I'd take Tavares at almost double the cap hit of Monahan. Not so much anymore. Tavares is the better player, but not 2x the player of Monahan, who has the favorable contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad