Prospect Info: Sean Maguire | Goaltender | Powell River Kings | 4th round, 113th overall

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
5563262445_5beb8fa3ea_z.jpg

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP GAA MIN SO SV%
2010-2011 POWELL RIVER BCHL 15 2.50 841 2 0.903
2011-2012 POWELL RIVER BCHL 31 2.33 1774 3 0.913

Karnage420*

sure, good selection...can never go wrong with a goalie prospect in the middle rounds.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Going to Boston University in September and hopes to pursue a degree in Education with hopes to one day work as a teacher. Listed at 6'2 201 so decent size for a 19 year old.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
BU graduated its two goalies this summer so Maguire could end up being a freshman starter for the Terriers.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
BU graduated its two goalies this summer so Maguire could end up being a freshman starter for the Terriers.

And he has the talent to do so.

Maguire backstopped the WJAC Canada West team to a Gold Medal at the Tier 2 Championships and has led Powell River the last two seasons. In fact he did so well last year he forced Powell River to trade Jamie Phillips to Ontario who was also drafted this draft (190th Overall to Winnipeg).

He is big and moves post to post extremely well. A very good prospect for the future. Realistically a very good shot at becoming an NHL goaltender.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
And he has the talent to do so.

Maguire backstopped the WJAC Canada West team to a Gold Medal at the Tier 2 Championships and has led Powell River the last two seasons. In fact he did so well last year he forced Powell River to trade Jamie Phillips to Ontario who was also drafted this draft (190th Overall to Winnipeg).

He is big and moves post to post extremely well. A very good prospect for the future. Realistically a very good shot at becoming an NHL goaltender.

Thanks for the info.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
The fact that he's going from the BCHL to BU says highly of him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
how do you like Maguire's development?

and: any details about his injury yet?

I believe he was injured and will miss his entire junior year. That takes him right off the prospect map until such time as his play proves he should be back on it. It also virtually guarantees that he has zero chance of jumping to the AHL after college, and he will be bound for the ECHL, if the Pens even sign him.

I had hopes he would become at least a decent back up or very good AHL goalie, but that's just the reality. His window ain't closed, but he's going to have to work that much harder to get back from missing this time at such a critical juncture in his life, career and development (both physically and psychologically).

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I believe he was injured and will miss his entire junior year. That takes him right off the prospect map until such time as his play proves he should be back on it. It also virtually guarantees that he has zero chance of jumping to the AHL after college, and he will be bound for the ECHL, if the Pens even sign him.

I had hopes he would become at least a decent back up or very good AHL goalie, but that's just the reality. His window ain't closed, but he's going to have to work that much harder to get back from missing this time at such a critical juncture in his life, career and development (both physically and psychologically).
Redshirt. He'll play his junior season next year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Redshirt. He'll play his junior season next year.

Indeed. The medical redshirt means the Penguins won't have to decide to sign him until 2017, most likely. I mean he can always declare free agency earlier, but that would be rather pointless.

Hopefully he'll be able to recover, missing an entire year is never ideal, especially for a prospect still trying to find his way.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
so seems like he'll play next season? i couldn't find any article saying that.

and what kind of injury is/was it? i didn't read anything about it yet.

He's missing this upcoming season and he's already been granted a medical redshirt. I've yet to hear what the injury is, but apparently he had a bad back last year so it's almost certainly related to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad