Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The great thing about Farrell is that he's like an investment. He goes to the NCAA, he gets bigger and stronger, he plays 2, 3 or even 4 years there to dominate, and hopefully he's ready to go as an offensive player in the NHL at the age of 22 or 23. Let him mature as a player as he does have the skills.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
No point breaking his bones before he his ready physically. Let him develop his skills and his education than maybe AHL.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Farrell was drafted at the right moment. Since we have a lot of depth we can let him develop properly in the NCAA and AHL far from the spotlight and in 3-4 years he might be a stud. It’s perfect for him.

Reactions: Sagikev and 26Mats

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
You're right. I misread it. I thought it was Steel history. And even bigger feat considering all the talents that have gone through the USHL.

They have played together before. We all know of Caufield's tweet after Habs drafted Farrell.
Ya, Sean never got much chance to play with Caufield at the NDTP, he was the youngest player on that team (11 months younger than Cole), and it was loaded with high end offensive players.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
You're right. I misread it. I thought it was Steel history. And even bigger feat considering all the talents that have gone through the USHL.

They have played together before. We all know of Caufield's tweet after Habs drafted Farrell.
Do you know why he been drafted on the fourth round? I mean. We heard a lot of good things about him. Im wondering why he been select that low and picked like smith or biondi before him

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Do you know why he been drafted on the fourth round? I mean. We heard a lot of good things about him. Im wondering why he been select that low and picked like smith or biondi before him

Beats me why he went to the 4th. And why Habs selected Smith and Biondi before him.

All that matters is that Habs selected him. And he is looking like a great pick in his first year as a Habs prospect. It will be a lot of fun to see how he'll do in the NCAA next year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Sean Farrel continues to make Chicago Steel history. After becoming the Steel player with the most points in a season, he now becomes the Steel player with the most assists in a season:
or not: Elite Prospects - USHL Stats All-time season

Okay, nvm: ""The USHL has been operating in its current form since 2002, when USA Hockey appointed it as the only Tier 1 junior hockey league in the country.""

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hmmm did anyone on that list go on to have good NHL careers? I don’t recognize any of those names

no but I wouldn't put any real stock in it. The USHL is a feeder league to the NCAA, if not for covid then Farrell isn't even in the league this year at 19. Top players wouldn't be in the USHL at 19 most of the time. There are factors like the player needs to bulk up still, academics (since you have to have the grades), a really deep NCAA team so they don't need the player so they opt to keep them in the USHL for one more year, etc.. But most of the time, top 19 year old aren't in the league, they are in the NCAA by then.

Reactions: Doc5

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
no but I wouldn't put any real stock in it. The USHL is a feeder league to the NCAA, if not for covid then Farrell isn't even in the league this year at 19. Top players wouldn't be in the USHL at 19 most of the time. There are factors like the player needs to bulk up still, academics (since you have to have the grades), a really deep NCAA team so they don't need the player so they opt to keep them in the USHL for one more year, etc.. But most of the time, top 19 year old aren't in the league, they are in the NCAA by then.
Fair enough, I think the biggest indicator for his potential would be how he performs next year in the NCAA. If he can follow up his historical USHL performance with a solid year in College, that would be amazing.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Hmmm did anyone on that list go on to have good NHL careers? I don’t recognize any of those names
It's much better brand of hockey now than in the past. The difference, comparably, of moving from the OJHL to the OHL, or the BCHL to the WHL. I think Farrell 's points this year are worth the same as Bourque, Perreault, Mercer, etc. are putting up in the Q.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's much better brand of hockey now than in the past. The difference, comparably, of moving from the OJHL to the OHL, or the BCHL to the WHL. I think Farrell 's points this year are worth the same as Bourque, Perreault, Mercer, etc. are putting up in the Q.

How many USHL games do you watch?

Farrell with an assist so far today. He's now his the 90-point mark.

If Farrell had 2 more assists, only 1 player in the USHL would have more points then Farrell has assists. That's sick. And of course that one player would be his former linemate and possible 1st rounder in July.

Reactions: Sagikev

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
How many USHL games do you watch?

If Farrell had 2 more assists, only 1 player in the USHL would have more points then Farrell has assists. That's sick. And of course that one player would be his former linemate and possible 1st rounder in July.

USHL moved from Tier II junior to Tier I junior, years ago. You would have to watch the games over the past 20 years to guage the difference. Even then it would be imperceptible change. The only way to judge the quality of points is when players move from one league to another. I think points are comparable between the USHL and the Q now, but they weren't back in the 80s and 90s when these no name guys put up big numbers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
USHL moved from Tier II junior to Tier I junior, years ago. You would have to watch the games over the past 20 years to guage the difference. Even then it would be imperceptible change. The only way to judge the quality of points is when players move from one league to another. I think points are comparable between the USHL and the Q now, but they weren't back in the 80s and 90s when these no name guys put up big numbers.

how many USHL games did you see this season?

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
how many USHL games did you see this season?
0 in person, parts of games online. I'm not dedicated enough to watch a lot of hockey. But even if I did, it wouldn't tell me anything about how the USHL compares to other junior leagues, since everyone in the game would be a USHL player. I look at a player like Cole Sillinger, who scored about 1.1 ppg in the WHL a year ago, and is scoring around 1.5 ppg in the USHL this year. That tells me it's about as difficult to score points in both leagues. Sillinger would be around 1.5 in the Dub if it was up and running earlier. Guenther was under 1 ppg last year and is around 2 ppg this year. So, for me Farrell 's points would translate to any CHL league. That puts him in the NHL within 2 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
0 in person, parts of games online. I'm not dedicated enough to watch a lot of hockey. But even if I did, it wouldn't tell me anything about how the USHL compares to other junior leagues, since everyone in the game would be a USHL player. I look at a player like Cole Sillinger, who scored about 1.1 ppg in the WHL a year ago, and is scoring around 1.5 ppg in the USHL this year. That tells me it's about as difficult to score points in both leagues. Sillinger would be around 1.5 in the Dub if it was up and running earlier. Guenther was under 1 ppg last year and is around 2 ppg this year. So, for me Farrell 's points would translate to any CHL league. That puts him in the NHL within 2 years.

If you are going to say one junior league compares to another, don't you think it would help if you actually watched games from both leagues first?

The example on Sillinger is tough because it's hard to project how much he's improved over last year, hard to say what he would do in the WHL this year vs the USHL. Look at the goalies/defense he's facing in one conference in the USHL vs what he would be facing in the WHL. Sillinger had a great season for a 16 year old and he's a hell of a prospect but it's also very hard to compare that to a 19 year old Farrell on a stacked team.

I don't see Farrell in the NHL in 2 years, but we'll see how next year goes as it's very tough to look past one season. I'm sure he would produce in any junior league but how well would be very tough to say.

Reactions: Andrei79

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
"If you are going to say one junior league compares to another, don't you think it would help if you actually watched games from both leagues first?"

No, not really. When I watch World Juniors the games look better than most NHL games, but that doesn't make the quality of play better. That said, I've certainly watched games from both leagues.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
"If you are going to say one junior league compares to another, don't you think it would help if you actually watched games from both leagues first?"

No, not really. When I watch World Juniors the games look better than most NHL games, but that doesn't make the quality of play better. That said, I've certainly watched games from both leagues.

WJC doesn't look better than any NHL game. More exciting? For sure. Better? Not by a long shot.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Montreal Canadiens: Sean Farrell Sets USHL Assists Record

Don't see Farrell brought up too often here, but he's gone from 56P in 44GP last season to 90P in 49GP this year, breaking the league record for assists.

Are people out there excited, or is USHL play just not that important?
I think many of us are cautiously optimistic cause it's a bit of a jump up for him next year. But hard not to be pumped with his play this year.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Montreal Canadiens: Sean Farrell Sets USHL Assists Record

Don't see Farrell brought up too often here, but he's gone from 56P in 44GP last season to 90P in 49GP this year, breaking the league record for assists.

Are people out there excited, or is USHL play just not that important?

I'm excited. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in the NCAA next year. I think he'll do well. But he'll have 4 years there to keep getting better anyways.

I don't care about size. We need skill. If he's good, he's good. We see how important Gallagher is. And we're hoping Caufield is also important.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad