Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
55 points in 27 games is impressive in any league

I look at this as extra developmental time before Sean starts his freshman season with Harvard.

Having received (and accepted) that scholarship from the Crimson shows us he has a good academic head on his shoulders.

Bob McKenzie had Farrell projected at 85th overall. Whereas Craig Button was a fraction higher with 79th.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I look at this as extra developmental time before Sean starts his freshman season with Harvard.

Having received (and accepted) that scholarship from the Crimson shows us he has a good academic head on his shoulders.

Bob McKenzie had Farrell projected at 85th overall. Whereas Craig Button was a fraction higher with 79th.

Farrell would have been good value at #57 overall, the pick they traded back from to #124 where they selected him, adding a 2nd round pick next year from T Bay. Most public rankings I saw had him rated as a second round talent. So the pick next year is free money . Those are the ones you hit big on.

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
Farrell would have been good value at #57 overall, the pick they traded back from to #124 where they selected him, adding a 2nd round pick next year from T Bay. Most public rankings I saw had him rated as a second round talent. So the pick next year is free money . Those are the ones you hit big on.

On another trivial note. The Hockey News' Draft Preview had Farrell sitting 77th.

Adding that Sean's "Quick, smart and versatile."

Just give him the proper time to work on his game and add some strength/beef.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Really happy we drafted this kid. He's one of the one's I always made sure to choose whenever I did mocks (others were Topi Niemela (Tor), Carter Savoie (Edm), Calle Clang (Pitts), Zach Uens & Kasper Puutio (both Florida).

I wouldn't worry too much about size. By the time this kid makes it, Byron, Drouin & Tatar are gone. TB won the cup with Point, Johnson, Gourde & Kucherov on their team. Talent is talent and we're still desperate for it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really happy we drafted this kid. He's one of the one's I always made sure to choose whenever I did mocks (others were Topi Niemela (Tor), Carter Savoie (Edm), Calle Clang (Pitts), Zach Uens & Kasper Puutio (both Florida).

I wouldn't worry too much about size. By the time this kid makes it, Byron, Drouin & Tatar are gone. TB won the cup with Point, Johnson, Gourde & Kucherov on their team. Talent is talent and we're still desperate for it.

What about Brett Berard? Did you have him on your list. He was the team leader of the USHL U.S. Men's national development program team. And, he made the world juniors team that Farrell got cut from right out of the draft. Yet, because he's 5'9, he lasted until the 5th round.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
On another trivial note. The Hockey News' Draft Preview had Farrell sitting 77th.

Adding that Sean's "Quick, smart and versatile."

Just give him the proper time to work on his game and add some strength/beef.
On the consensus mock ranking I saw he was #58, just one spot off the pick they traded. I don't think anyone would have blinked if they used that pick on Sean, and I don't think anyone would be second guessing it today.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What about Brett Berard? Did you have him on your list. He was the team leader of the USHL U.S. Men's national development program team. And, he made the world juniors team that Farrell got cut from right out of the draft. Yet, because he's 5'9, he lasted until the 5th round.

I was looking at people who we could draft mid-draft since we had a lot of 4th - 6th rounders. Berard was highly touted in that he was considered a top 90 prospect. It was a shock that he fell to 5th. Definitely would've been happy to draft him.

Just glad Habs took one of my prospects. Weird that they took Jack Smith over him.

Reactions: 26Mats

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Update: USHL officially awarded an assist to Farrell on the OT winner from last night. So he finished the night with a goal and 3 assists.

He now has 64 pts (19G, 45A) in 33 GP.

How impressed should we be about those stats? Any significant comparable for a USHL d+1 season?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How impressed should we be about those stats? Any significant comparable for a USHL d+1 season?

you can't really look at it as D+1 to compare as the USHL is a feeder league to the NCAA, so most go there at 17, 18 to bulk up for the NCAA. The top players are gone by 19 but due to covid, Farrell had to repeat despite dominating the USHL last year.

Reactions: Lebowski

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Guest here. If you haven't been to prospects boards, he scored another 3 points tonight.
67 points in 34 games (1.97 ppg).

He is having a season in the USHL no one has had since the early 90's.
And if he keeps his current pace until remaining of the season,
he will score more points than any player in the USHL since 2 Musketeer players in the mid 80's.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Guest here. If you haven't been to prospects boards, he scored another 3 points tonight.
67 points in 34 games (1.97 ppg).

He is having a season in the USHL no one has had since the early 90's.
And if he keeps his current pace until remaining of the season,
he will score more points than any player in the USHL since 2 Musketeer players in the mid 80's.
Yes we're pretty happy with his production, and it's a nice step forward this year. I can't wait to see how he does in the NCAA. Hopefully the transition goes smoothly. I'm pretty confident with this kid though, pretty sure he can be a good player in the NCAA and the AHL within the next 2-3 years.

Jul 6, 2016
Yes we're pretty happy with his production, and it's a nice step forward this year. I can't wait to see how he does in the NCAA. Hopefully the transition goes smoothly. I'm pretty confident with this kid though, pretty sure he can be a good player in the NCAA and the AHL within the next 2-3 years.

Another small, light player. Hopefully, Habs gonna be able to surround him and Caufield with bigger bodies. Tuch was a good pick. Habs need more like that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Another small, light player. Hopefully, Habs gonna be able to surround him and Caufield with bigger bodies. Tuch was a good pick. Habs need more like that.

Tuch was a good pick? Why because he's big?

Were McCarron, De la Rose, and Crisp good picks too?

Reactions: Big Lurk

Jul 6, 2016
so you think he's showing he has the POTENTIAL to play in college now? I'll go out on a limb and say he will DEFINITELY play in college.

you said "pro"... If he can keep playing that well and have significant stats at College level, we will see. Can we wait a bit ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad