Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Timmins-PressConference(20/10/07):Farrell
“We see a guy who has similar personality characteristics as a Brendan Gallagher type. He won't be denied. The outstanding work ethic, compete- he goes to the hard areas... He's a really great personality. I think he's going in the right direction here.”
“He's going to go back and start the year with Chicago in the USHL, which has been a very good development team. He has an invite to the US World Junior camp. And then off to Harvard (whether or not he ends up at Harvard in the new year is yet to be seen). But we like the energy that he brings to go along with the style that he plays and his ability to produce some offense as well.”

Reactions: DAChampion

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
MA Godin article: His coach praises his ability to make plays in any situation (on his forehand, backhand, under pressure, on the rush, etc.); he's got a feel for the game. Since he'll likely go back to the USHL, his coach says they're ready to work with him on finding new challenges so he doesn't stagnate (like improving his shot or goals total plus becoming a more vocal leader).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
MA Godin article: His coach praises his ability to make plays in any situation (on his forehand, backhand, under pressure, on the rush, etc.); he's got a feel for the game. Since he'll likely go back to the USHL, his coach says they're ready to work with him on finding new challenges so he doesn't stagnate (like improving his shot or goals total plus becoming a more vocal leader).

And I believe once the NCAA returns (I don't know if ECAC has decided when they will return), he will go to Harvard University. So I think he will play in the USHL until NCAA (ECAC) returns.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Timmins mentioned it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And I believe once the NCAA returns (I don't know if ECAC has decided when they will return), he will go to Harvard University. So I think he will play in the USHL until NCAA (ECAC) returns.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Timmins mentioned it.

he did, he'll be in the USHL but we don't know what will happen come Jan 1st as the Ivy league teams canceled all sports but only till Jan 1st. The ECAC has 6 non Ivy league teams left and they said they hope to play around 20 games but only against ECAC teams.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Teammate of Caufield in 2019

EjGpglbUcAAaAxS

Just noticed he and Tuch also got invited to the U.S. world juniors tryouts, in addition to Caufield and Struble. Would be great if all 4 made it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
interesting. Really is a great playmaker. Shot looks decent enough. Skating looks good.

Getting a smaller sized dude with skill but plays hard and doesn't have skating issues is nice to hear.

Shot isn't heavy but the release is quick and accurate. That's a combo that can score goals at the next level, he just has to get in tight, which is fine as he's really good at that.

Those edges, that energy, the puck protection and control are all very attractive and the passing ability is high. Love the way he plays. That's a home run swing.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Shot isn't heavy but the release is quick and accurate. That's a combo that can score goals at the next level, he just has to get in tight, which is fine as he's really good at that.

Those edges, that energy, the puck protection and control are all very attractive and the passing ability is high. Love the way he plays. That's a home run swing.

I need to see more of Mysak but I actually think this kid has a better shot at the NHL. Mysak might have higher upside but I think Farell might have a better shot at reaching his ceiling

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I need to see more of Mysak but I actually think this kid has a better shot at the NHL. Mysak might have higher upside but I think Farell might have a better shot at reaching his ceiling
I actually see it as the opposite. Farell if he hits his ceiling could be a 1st line winger, the skills are there it's just far less likely. Mysak is a good bet to be a 2nd line winger, who's on the PK and could provide 20 goals a year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I actually see it as the opposite. Farell if he hits his ceiling could be a 1st line winger, the skills are there it's just far less likely. Mysak is a good bet to be a 2nd line winger, who's on the PK and could provide 20 goals a year.

That's interesting. I defintely haven't seen enough of Mysak. Farell for whatever reason pops more for me. Maybe I am seeing the more upside you're seeing.

I hope he's not a Bitten but from the passes he was making he seems to have WAY better hockey sense. I think if the hockey sense/IQ is there, he can be a good one. Really seems he just has to get stronger.

Anyone else feel there's top line upside here? I feel like the skill may fall just short but the skating and intensity could make up for it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Chicago Steel is having a scrimmage today. We get a little glimpse of Farrel setting up one of the goals.

He is #14 in white:

He is so smooth.

I must admit he is my favourite prospect of the habs selection of this year draft. I think he truly has it all. I am very curious to watch him play and hopefully dominate at the next level.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I came around to watching his post-draft interview and scouting report from months ago. I love the pick.

Sean says he's self conscious about "evading big guys with big strides", he also mentions being good defensively as one of his qualities.

He's going to Harvard in January and chose Economics. Apparently Harvard "boasts the best economics department in the world. They rank in the top three in eight different categories of economic specialty. Economics has become the largest concentration for undergraduates at Harvard in recent years".

He had a great time the one time he visited MTL, not sure how many of our prospects had already seen the city prior to being drafted.

From the Steel tapes he definitely has a good wrist shot (poor man's Caufield), really smooth skating/edges to get in and out of traffic, creative passing on both the forehand and backhand, quite a bit of energy/intensity and he's left handed. All reasons to hope he pans out.

Cole talked to Sean after being drafted, though I'm sure both recognize Cole is much much closer to the NHL. Drouin's contract ends before the 23-24 season, Sean would then be 21 about to turn 22 (Nov). It is not impossible IMO to see a LW transition in a few years if we can't afford Drouin after his contract is up. It is possible Jo racks up a lot of assists with Suzuki and Anderson (or Toffoli), and his current contract will be up before all of Gally / Andy / Toff / UFA Lehkonen / RFA Kotkaniemi / RFA Suzuki.

Tuch, Mysak, Farrell, please can we get one of you guys in MTL by 2023-24......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad