Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
When he was drafted late believe a few US junior players called it a steal. One of my favourite prospects in the organization that should get a ton of developing time. Hopefully Harris doesn't leave and both of them end up being steals.

Reactions: 26Mats

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
At minimum, I hope a prospect still looks like he possibly can make the NHL each year. Ideally you hope prospects show top player ceilings. His performance at that level for me just means he still has that possible high ceiling. Not talking chances etc, just that he does, which is a good thing.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Montreal Canadiens: Sean Farrell Sets USHL Assists Record

Don't see Farrell brought up too often here, but he's gone from 56P in 44GP last season to 90P in 49GP this year, breaking the league record for assists.

Are people out there excited, or is USHL play just not that important?
I wouldn't say I'm excited, but I'm pleased with the way he has played. I think he met expectations this year. You always want to see a prospect do better each year and Farrell has certainly done that.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's hard to say at this point, if you had a 19 year old dominating the Q on a stacked team, I'm sure some would be skeptical if the player looked like he was 12. But i've been impressed with his game every time i've seen him and he's easily a top 15 prospect for us. If he can keep this up in the NCAA we could be looking a big steal for where he was picked.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
It's hard to say at this point, if you had a 19 year old dominating the Q on a stacked team, I'm sure some would be skeptical if the player looked like he was 12. But i've been impressed with his game every time i've seen him and he's easily a top 15 prospect for us. If he can keep this up in the NCAA we could be looking a big steal for where he was picked.

Caliber wise, you would compare the USHL to the Q?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I've only seen highlights, but I don't see the tools that he'll need to get to the NHL and play in a significant capacity. IQ, passing ability, and positioning look good, but I don't see +tools for a guy his size. For that reason, I have a hard time translating his *essentially* overage season with a stacked team to anything but a guy playing above his skill level in a good situation.

It's hard to know though, I'd love to see his playmaking ability translate at the NCAA level.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I really hope this kid pans out.

Goes to NCAA amd dominates, wins the Hobey Baker 2 years from now and gets signed to ELC and plays in Laval and does well as a playmaking center.

Find a big LW ala Wilson or Tkachuk and put him on a line with Farell and Caufield.

Hopefully they have Chemistry and Caufield gets 40 to 50 goals annually to Farell's 50 to 60 assists per year.

Come on hockey Gods... do your thing!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I really hope this kid pans out.

Goes to NCAA amd dominates, wins the Hobey Baker 2 years from now and gets signed to ELC and plays in Laval and does well as a playmaking center.

Find a big LW ala Wilson or Tkachuk and put him on a line with Farell and Caufield.

Hopefully they have Chemistry and Caufield gets 40 to 50 goals annually to Farell's 50 to 60 assists per year.

Come on hockey Gods... do your thing!

We sure could use a playmaking winger, even if it's a winger...

Farrell Kotkaniemi Caufield.

The sooner he's ready, and signs a rookie deal the better. Heck we could bury Drouin, and save 1M against the cap in doing so, and then have Farrell come it at about that 1M cap hit - all we need is for Farrell to be ready!!

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Caliber wise, you would compare the USHL to the Q?

I'm not a fan of the Q but I haven't watched it much these past few years. I don't think it's at that level but maybe closer then I would admit. I also don't usually watch a lot of USHL games. Over the years i've seen my share as I watched Pac, Kristo, Leblanc, Bennett etc.. and this year I likely saw the most i've seen in perhaps ever but with covid they are only playing in conference so you have to look at the 2 conferences differently as one is stacked and the other not as much.

I could see a team like the Steel beating CHL teams from all 3 leagues but then how do you really compare the leagues, worst vs worst, best vs best, middle of the pack vs middle of the ack. Then what, a best of 7 series, a season long series? It's tough to say. I don't think the Q is churning out players like they used to but I've never looked at the data to support that as I don't care. I know the USHL produces top NCAAers but a lot of that comes from the USNTDP and they don't play just USHL teams so it makes it harder to really say.

also I just moved some posts that were discussing this topic, to this thread so if you go a page back around post # 205 or so.

Reactions: Simarino

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
So a 'highlight scout' eh? You could work for this organization with those skillz.

I'm not going to BS you and tell you I watch USHL games regularly. I also limited my analysis to what can be gleaned from the videos I watched (a focus on tools) and qualified what I said on the premise that it was based on highlights. This year I haven't had nearly as much time to watch prospect hockey, but even then I've primarily focused on SHL, WHL, and QMJHL. The whole notion that we've got guys in here that seem to have watched 30+ hours of every junior hockey league and every prospect of ours a week is ridiculous. Anyone who actually tries to follow these guys (which I have) will tell you it's nearly impossible to follow them all in any meaningful way.

Feel free to challenge what I've said about his toolset though if you've watched his games. Would love to hear it.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm not going to BS you and tell you I watch USHL games regularly. I also limited my analysis to what can be gleaned from the videos I watched (a focus on tools) and qualified what I said on the premise that it was based on highlights. This year I haven't had nearly as much time to watch prospect hockey, but even then I've primarily focused on SHL, WHL, and QMJHL. The whole notion that we've got guys in here that seem to have watched 30+ hours of every junior hockey league and every prospect of ours a week is ridiculous. Anyone who actually tries to follow these guys (which I have) will tell you it's nearly impossible to follow them all in any meaningful way.

Feel free to challenge what I've said about his toolset though if you've watched his games. Would love to hear it.

I don't know enough from the highlights so I can't really make a judgment on him. Other scouts are pretty high on him though, so that's a good sign. I focus on the WHL to be honest.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know enough from the highlights so I can't really make a judgment on him. Other scouts are pretty high on him though, so that's a good sign. I focus on the WHL to be honest.

i've seen a decent amount of his games between last year and early this season and I don't know what to make of him largely due to how stacked a team he's on. I'm a huge NCAA fan, I feel very comfortable with our NCAA prospects, I don't like the ECAC that much but I will have a much better feel for him after I see him play there.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i've seen a decent amount of his games between last year and early this season and I don't know what to make of him largely due to how stacked a team he's on. I'm a huge NCAA fan, I feel very comfortable with our NCAA prospects, I don't like the ECAC that much but I will have a much better feel for him after I see him play there.

a couple of his teammates are pegged to be drafted around where we should be picking this year in the 1st round...

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I don't even know how to rate players in any league this year with COVID, and I feel the talent pool is quite weak. I'm not even excited to see CC score in Laval, because its also weak competition this year. Do you agree?

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I don't even know how to rate players in any league this year with COVID, and I feel the talent pool is quite weak. I'm not even excited to see CC score in Laval, because its also weak competition this year. Do you agree?
If anything, the USHL is stronger than usual this year because they have added players from other leagues (Cole Sillinger and Ayrton Moreno for example) which aren't active due to Covid. As well as retaining players like Farrell and Mason Lohrei an extra year because the NCAA team they committed to isn't active. You might say the same for the AHL, which has been bolstered with dozens of top prospects who'd normally be playing in the CHL.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
a couple of his teammates are pegged to be drafted around where we should be picking this year in the 1st round...

I'm very aware as i've been pushing for both in the drat thread. Would be happy if we got either of them plus I like some of the other players on the team.

What's all that different about the NCAA this year other then the big teams don't play weak out of conference teams to pad their stats. In the NCAA in the big 3 conferences, their are some serious rivals that are stacked with NHL draft picks. The one conference from the big 3 that I would take more with a grain of salt is the Hockey East as so many teams shut down at different times, so many schedule changes. I think someone like Harris did benefit a bit from facing Merrimack type level teams more often then the BC/BU level teams.

The USHL it's harder for me to say as I know the NCAA much better. I know that Dobes was lucky he didn't have to face Farrell's team but it would have been very interesting to see how they both would have fared.

The Euro leagues there's no change other then no Champions league games.

The AHL while it's a league I know very well, it's hard to say as every year it's so different since there's so much turn over year over year. We got lucky we didn't have to face Galchenyuk that much cause he looked really good and was giving us fits when we did face him. His line was all over Laval. Clearly there is some truth to the league being weaker due to the taxi but I would have to look at other teams taxi squad. We had our top vets on and off it but also kept some of them off it like Weal, Blandisi so I would guess it's more or less the same for many other teams.

The WHL they are just playing 24 games so who cares really as that's not enough to really get a read on one way or the other.

Reactions: Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm very aware as i've been pushing for both in the drat thread. Would be happy if we got either of them plus I like some of the other players on the team.

The year the Kane-gagner-Sergei Kostitsyn line piled up a ton of points in London, people weren't sure if all three were good or feeding off of kane.

Let's get Farrell's whole line to make sure we get at least one talented offensive player!

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
The year the Kane-gagner-Sergei Kostitsyn line piled up a ton of points in London, people weren't sure if all three were good or feeding off of kane.

Let's get Farrell's whole line to make sure we get at least one talented offensive player!
Farrell's linemates are Josh Doan, who went undrafted last year, but may be a later round pick this year, and Anthony Fantilli, who isn't eligible until 2023.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Farrell's linemates are Josh Doan, who went undrafted last year, but may be a later round pick this year, and Anthony Fantilli, who isn't eligible until 2023.

clearly he meant Coronato and Samoskevich who he played a lot of the season with. Once Samosskevich went down to injury and missed a chunk of the season, they changed up the lineup with Farrell moving to center at times.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Now at 97 pts on the season.

Tomorrow is Chicago's last game of the season. Hopefully Farrell has another 3-point night to hit the 100-point mark.

The last player to hit 100 points in the USHL was Kevin Roy in 2011-2012 with 104 points.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The last player to hit 100 points in the USHL was Kevin Roy in 2011-2012 with 104 points.

Apparently scoring 100 points in the USHL does not correlate to anything for the NHL because I have never heard if Kevin Roy, lol.

Hopefully Farrell is different. I mean , can't be a bad thing.

Reactions: Gravity

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Apparently scoring 100 points in the USHL does not correlate to anything for the NHL because I have never heard if Kevin Roy, lol.

Roy was up with the Ducks a couple seasons back,not sure where he is now.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

It was also done in his D-1 year, you’d think that would have led to a decent NHL career. He ended up being a 4th round pick, went on to play 4 years in college where he was over a ppg. Also put up decent stats in the AHL, not sure what happened.

Reactions: yianik

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It was also done in his D-1 year, you’d think that would have led to a decent NHL career. He ended up being a 4th round pick, went on to play 4 years in college where he was over a ppg. Also put up decent stats in the AHL, not sure what happened.

They are both 5 foot 9, hopefully there are numerous differences between the two.

Reactions: Doc5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->