Sean Couturier

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I just worry if we keep drafting centers we're going to become Edmonton

If there are two players that are really close I wouldn't mind taking the defender over the forward. Just don't reach on players like Andy Reid did. Thats how you get your team in trouble

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If we aren't trading up to get Jones, I would rather just take best player available regardless of position and then fill our holes through FA, minor trades, and/or promotions from within the organization.

Free agency is a thing of the past. Barely any good, prime aged players make it that far. Also, our organizational depth is weak. I just wanted to point that out. I'm not against just taking the best player available at all.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why not trade Laughton? Why not try him on the wing? If Bryz is indeed coming back next year, there is no goalie situation to resolve, which leaves the D. You need three of those, one established nhler, one nhl ready prospect, and one blue chip pick. Nurse could fill the pick requirement. Trade laughton for gormley. Pick up a player like Ballard after he's bought out, or try another offer sheet for a RFA.

Done.

I would be open to trading Laughton. I've said all along that I think someone is going to get dealt, not LET'S TRADE COUTURIER!. I would love to keep Couturier and trade Laughton, but I don't think Laughton holds the value needed to get the guy that makes doing a deal like this worth it at this point in time. And I keep saying this people seem to be missing it...I am not saying that Couturier is not worth it or that we should trade him just to trade him. All I'm saying is that there is a logjam at center, and if he can be traded to improve this team's defensive crop, I would do it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Canuck fan...

I think you should assume Laughton won't be ready next season. Couturier is 20 heading into next season and can't really complain about the minutes he gets. They should spend the year figuring out what they have in he and Schenn. Both are valid trade candidates (as is Laughton) Whoever does not fit can be traded the following season. No rush. Their value is only going to increase.

That's fine. I think you can pencil him in on this team if Couturier is not there, but assume he isn't. Even if Laughton isn't ready, then sign a capable 3C (which is why I have been saying "or whomever replaces Couturier" after I slate Laughton at 3C).

And just so I am clear (because I really don't think people are understanding what I am saying)...I don't think that whomever takes over for Couturier in the event of a trade (Laughton/UFA) is going to do better that Couturier or even as good as Couturier. What I am saying is that I would take a downgrade at one position (Center) for an upgrade at another position (defense). Center is a position of strength and depth on this team. Defense is a position of weakness that lacks depth.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
That's fine. I think you can pencil him in on this team if Couturier is not there, but assume he isn't. Even if Laughton isn't ready, then sign a capable 3C (which is why I have been saying "or whomever replaces Couturier" after I slate Laughton at 3C).

And just so I am clear (because I really don't think people are understanding what I am saying)...I don't think that whomever takes over for Couturier in the event of a trade (Laughton/UFA) is going to do better that Couturier or even as good as Couturier. What I am saying is that I would take a downgrade at one position (Center) for an upgrade at another position (defense). Center is a position of strength and depth on this team. Defense is a position of weakness that lacks depth.

The problem, I think, is that there's no defenseman that we can realistically get for Couturier who isn't likely to leave us saying "what-were-they-thinking" five years from now. You can't get a #1 for him--and a guy with a 2/3 ceiling could easily end up being disappointing, relative to what many of us expect Couturier to become.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The problem, I think, is that there's no defenseman that we can realistically get for Couturier who isn't likely to leave us saying "what-were-they-thinking" five years from now. You can't get a #1 for him--and a guy with a 2/3 ceiling could easily end up being disappointing, relative to what many of us expect Couturier to become.

And that's fine and very well may be the case. Which is why I am not campaigning to trade him just to trade him.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I don't see why skating can't be improved. It's just technique. An intensive summer of work and he can come back with it all turned around.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I don't see why skating can't be improved. It's just technique. An intensive summer of work and he can come back with it all turned around.

It can be improved, but it doesn't mean it will. Poor skating is something that will definitely hold most players, especially forwards, back.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
True, but there are Hall of Famers who were never great skaters, e.g. Ron Francis.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
I wouldn't trade Couturier at all, unless it was a massive overpayment. I think he can top out at ~70 points a season with elite defense. One of the main reasons I wouldn't trade Couts is because he really gets under Malkin's skin. I don't think anyone else on the Flyers would be able to slow Malkin down. For that alone I need something along the lines of high ceiling D-prospect + a good D-prospect + 1st at least to get me to move him.

I understand we have Laughton waiting to take over the role of defensive center, but I don't know if he can go against Malkin who is still pretty young himself. Laughton has a good defensive game, but he doesn't have the size. You can't teach size.

Sean 3Couturier making my evaluation of him not wrong! I hope he is with the Flyers for many more years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Technique is only part of it, otherwise you could teach any athlete to skate/run fast.
Fast twitch muscles (genetic) are also a key element.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I've been told for a while that Couturier's offense will be able to translate into the NHL,
and I've been waiting patiently hoping for something.

The reality is , by now we should have seen at-least a glimpse of what is to come. But we have not. Yes he is young, and yes he has yet to physically mature. But what he lacks in is something that can't be taught.

Couturier is a very very slow skater, It is not going to improve, you can not teach a person to be faster. If he is ever going to be a point producer he will need a winger like voracek that can handle the puck enter the zone and provide some athleticism to the line.

The more I watch him the more he reminds me of A slower handzus. Part of me sees him as the odd man out in the future and wants to trade him for a d man prospect. But another part of me wants to keep him to try to up his value some what next year before trading him.

Personally, I think it's easier to teach a person to be a faster skater, than to teach a person how to evaluate the potential of young NHL players.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like many, I believed he was much better than his scoring suggested and that he would show that once used properly (doesn't that sound familiar...), but I think all of us are shocked by his goal scoring the last two years.

That's the one thing I wouldn't have guessed, that he would be a 30 goal scorer. I would've thought roughly 20 goals per year (maybe varying in the 17-23 range) but the vast majority of his scoring would be assists.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Hmm, I'm not too surprised honestly. He's not Jeff Carter but Couturier has a lot of similarities with Rod Brind'Amour, both big, strong two-way centers, smart, good and strong around the net. Brind'Amour averaged 30 goals/82 games with the Flyers, and he had hand of stone.

Reactions: Johnk0728

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->