Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Team like picks. Teams like prospects. We have a logjam coming so need to thin the herd anyways. You just have to find the right match. Look at Skinner deal. Look at ROR. Look at Hoffman.

Maybe Zucker is the guy you can grab for cheap in a down year. I know you want a C desperately, but I don't think we need a long term one. Frost could be ready this year, at worst 2 years.

But at least we have options from within....and cap space if he choose to add from outside.
I prefer a C, but given the right speed/skill winger I’d be ok with a W. For example, I supported trades for Nylander & Huberdeau.

Zucker is an interesting option. A big trade for Zucker & Spurgeon would be very intriguing. But LW is the least of their needs if G is playing there like he probably should.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Cout's ability to leave attackers without any good options based on positioning alone is amazing. He isn't a defender who gets by outworking everyone. The Pronger comparisons are good, methinks.
He’s the rare player who has the athleticism to play at an elite level but also very high intelligence. Bob Clarke used tenacity & intelligence to make good skills into an elite product, & Couturier is similar in some regards; just replace the ruthlessness with the gift of size.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He’s the rare player who has the athleticism to play at an elite level but also very high intelligence. Bob Clarke used tenacity & intelligence to make good skills into an elite product, & Couturier is similar in some regards; just replace the ruthlessness with the gift of size.

Yep. And the way Pronger aged is encouraging. By the time we got him, he wasn't a physical machine manhandling everything in sight, he was playing a game that used positioning and size to kill plays without the need for big-boying everyone. Couts is a smart enough player that he will be able to do the same thing to remain effective as his body degrades.

Ovechkin is an example of a player who did that. Of course his talent level is on another level, but his playstyle now is completely different than it was when he was young. He has slowed down, and so he's found ways to continue being effective. His production has been historically stable because he adapts.

And to take a tangent off of that tangent, that is why a player like Gretzky would be far-and-away the greatest of any era; players with talent and intelligence adapt to produce in any era.

Bringing it full circle: The brain is the most important thing. Couturier is good at braining.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Everyone's high on Couturier right now, and rightfully so, but just watch... if he has a single season of lower production (context won't matter; it never does) people will start saying he needs to be traded.

We've seen the same thing with all our stars and he'll be no different.

I’ve been worried about his next contract since he signed this one

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep. And the way Pronger aged is encouraging. By the time we got him, he wasn't a physical machine manhandling everything in sight, he was playing a game that used positioning and size to kill plays without the need for big-boying everyone. Couts is a smart enough player that he will be able to do the same thing to remain effective as his body degrades.

Ovechkin is an example of a player who did that. Of course his talent level is on another level, but his playstyle now is completely different than it was when he was young. He has slowed down, and so he's found ways to continue being effective. His production has been historically stable because he adapts.

And to take a tangent off of that tangent, that is why a player like Gretzky would be far-and-away the greatest of any era; players with talent and intelligence adapt to produce in any era.

Bringing it full circle: The brain is the most important thing. Couturier is good at braining.

To reference my own post...last night in OT this is exactly what he was doing. Despite all the space in the world, he just constantly took away offensive options with positioning.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And some people try to tell me that Hockey IQ isn't that important.
Fortunately, Hextall thought it was, and so far it seems Fletcher is in agreement.

You don't have to be blazing fast if you have great anticipation and take the right angles.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And some people try to tell me that Hockey IQ isn't that important.
Fortunately, Hextall thought it was, and so far it seems Fletcher is in agreement.

You don't have to be blazing fast if you have great anticipation and take the right angles.

at 6 foot 4, can every player take the same angles as couturier?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
at 6 foot 4, can every player take the same angles as couturier?

Don't think size matters for angles, remember Kimmo?

Size matters for reach and blocking off players, get your body on them and steer them away from your net, on offense, use that body to establish position and be hard to move.

Which is why I was disappointed in Patrick last fall, didn't seem to add a lot of strength last summer, but that may have been age related, hopefully a year older and he'll fill out naturally.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Don't think size matters for angles, remember Kimmo?

Size matters for reach and blocking off players, get your body on them and steer them away from your net, on offense, use that body to establish position and be hard to move.

Which is why I was disappointed in Patrick last fall, didn't seem to add a lot of strength last summer, but that may have been age related, hopefully a year older and he'll fill out naturally.

So you’re saying that height/ wingspans/ stick length are not physiological traits but psychological ones? Interesting. And that size does not come into play when angles are considered. Hence why joe hicketss and zdeno chara are capable of covering the same amount of space. I’m fascinated

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you’re saying that height/ wingspans/ stick length are not physiological traits but psychological ones? Interesting. And that size does not come into play when angles are considered. Hence why joe hicketss and zdeno chara are capable of covering the same amount of space. I’m fascinated

On angles, quickness and anticipation matter far more than reach (unless you're comparing Chara and Ghost :sarcasm: ).
I mean Lauridsen had reach . . .

Angles is primarily a matter of taking away the path from the offensive player, you can be awfully fast, but if the D-man positions himself between you and the goal, you're gonna get pushed outside.

Reach has value but not nearly as much as anticipation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad