Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I just wrote article about Sean Couturier for NHL.cz.

And created these graphics:

5-on-5 on team: (3rd row is FOW% and 5th P/60)
scouturier-stats657453.png

5-on-5 against superstars:
scouturier-against-stars24153.png

HE IS f***ING BEAST.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts shows you that hockey IQ and size matter, and speed is overrated.
He's probably the slowest Flyer after JVR.
All he does is make plays at both end of the ice.
Does it with smarts, and using his big body to gain leverage and control the puck.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Couts shows you that hockey IQ and size matter, and speed is overrated.
He's probably the slowest Flyer after JVR.

Is this 2012? He's not quick twitch, but in stride he can chew up ice, especially with the puck (which is way more important than a guy like Pitlick chipping and chasing), using his strong stickhandling and reach as well. The only forwards I'd say are definitely "faster" in stride up ice with the puck are TK, Frost, and Voracek. "Slowest Flyer after JVR"? C'mon.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think Couturier is as slow as people think. He covers territory with his long stride deceptively well.

He may not have that explosive first step burst, but I think his skating is a lot better than he gets credit for.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
His skating and balance are both light years better than when he first came into the league

Reactions: Jtown

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's improved his feet since his first few years no doubt, but I'm not sure his actual skating is much better today than 5 years ago. I'm in the camp where his skating was underrated for a number of years as people's evaluations caught up. What's improved the most to me is his confidence executing high skill plays with the puck in transition. Dangling right through or around guys, attacking them. He's always had soft hands and good puck control, but his offensive confidence is through the roof at this point in his career. Playing faster and beating your opponent often looks like moving faster.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I swear there's no aspect of a hockey players game that gets misevaluated by fans more than speed.

How often do we hear about Giroux, Ghost, Couturier, Jake, etc "being slow" or "looking slow" or "slowing down"? Or people saying that this overall team is slow?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who is slower than Couts?

Among forwards, JVR.
That's probably it.
Laughton, Pitlick, Voracek, Farabee and of course TK and Frost are definitely faster.
Giroux, Raffl and Hayes are probably faster, though not by a huge margin.

Among defensemen, Braun and maybe Hagg (though he's not a bad skater, his issues are more mental).

Note that the Flyers aren't putting many slugs on the ice anymore, so being one of the slowest players means you're more around "average" than past years.
What this team lacks is high end speed, only TK and Frost have the jets to freeze defenders.

Couts has great body control and hands, he can skate through crowds and maintain possession, and just as important, control of the puck (Voracek and Hayes are good at maintaining possession with their bodies but don't have as good of hands in a crowd).
And he takes great angles, which reduces how far you have to skate.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Every one posting here is doing it wrong except for vintage @Jtown.

You know Coots agent trolls HFboards. When his contract is up in 2.5 years, you're all to blame when he leaves Philadelphia. Pumping up this guys tires like this, so unnecessary. Whatever happen to let sleeping dogs lie? A bunch of loud mouths. All these graphics, and stats, just going to make him unaffordable when the time comes. Slick move, ya Dingus!

Welp, it was nice knowing you, cap killer gonna kill pks and caps, and shootouts now too. Feel proud about yourselves, you've played yourself.

#ObviousHeelTurn

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
16 Stats: NHL midseason awards, All-Star snubs and Brent...

My criteria is defensive impact (both expected and actual as estimated by RAPM) while also factoring for usage (ice time, zone starts, quality of competition, penalty killing), and I try to stay true to the award’s definition, so I don’t really care what they do offensively. Here’s who makes the cut:
  1. Anthony Cirelli, TBL
  2. Jean-Gabriel Pageau, OTT
  3. Jordan Staal, CAR
  4. Sean Couturier, PHI
  5. Ryan O’Reilly, STL

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I was about to say: “how the hell is Giroux not on this list?!?” but it’s because of that damn lockout season, otherwise he would be. :laugh:

2010-2011: 76 points
2011-2012: 93 points
2012-2013: 48 points in 48 games
2013-2014: 86 points
2014-2015: 73 points
2015-2016: 67 in 78 games (70 point pace)
what happened in 16-17?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
what happened in 16-17?
Giroux and Ghost had that hip/core surgery in the offseason and they both had down years because they were unable to train properly and were still recovering during the season.

That was the year Girouxs assists were in line with the previous two seasons but his goal scoring took a big hit (14 for the year) because he wasn’t able to shoot properly.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad