Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
On angles, quickness and anticipation matter far more than reach (unless you're comparing Chara and Ghost :sarcasm: ).
I mean Lauridsen had reach . . .

Angles is primarily a matter of taking away the path from the offensive player, you can be awfully fast, but if the D-man positions himself between you and the goal, you're gonna get pushed outside.

Reach has value but not nearly as much as anticipation.

What good is anticipation if you don't have the physical skills to impact the play. Being 6 foot 4 with a long reach and a long stick certain allows coots to impact plays more so than a smaller player. This is what drives me crazy about "hockey iq" you have just attributed his iq to his physical gifts.

Reactions: hatcher

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
oof. swing and a miss. that is what occurs when 1. you come in with an agenda and 2. you don't know what you're talking about. Good luck.
Meh, okay. Read as a subtle dig at him, which there is a penchant for.

So, he’s 6’4”...

(Oh I see now—he’s big, not smart)

Reactions: Ruck Over

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I always had faith in Couts and his ability, but the one thing I’ll admit to underrating about him is his goal scoring.

I didn’t expect two 30+ goal seasons... I always expected him to rack up his points by being more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I always had faith in Couts and his ability, but the one thing I’ll admit to underrating about him is his goal scoring.

I didn’t expect two 30+ goal seasons... I always expected him to rack up his points by being more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.

What is funny too is the way he is scoring... if someone had told me he would hit 30+ as a ~17-18 year old it would not have shocked me, but I would have thought more goals would have came from snap-shots etc as opposed to around the net! He still has such a hard snap-shot when he gets in position. I remember him scoring some silly ones in his debut year.

Just so smart he gets into space all the time near the net and slot.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
On the occasions I've actually got out to games, I've left with the thought that he was one of, if not the best player on the ice. You see how he just naturally knows how the play is likely to develop.

It is pretty enjoyable to just zone in on him even in TV coverage and watch no-one else...

I do that at times with him, Bergeron and Koivu especially. Ofc there are other great defensive centres - O'Reilly, J. Staal, Barkov, Kopitar, Toews etc - but those first three just think the game way ahead of the opposition and it is so fun to watch.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He is interviewed on the latest 31 Thoughts podcast. I didn't know he got married this summer.

"Who was that guy in your room that didn't get the credit he deserved?"

"I think Travis Sanheim is one guy that doesn't get as much credit as others cause we have so many young, talented dmen. One guy that was really solid for us was Robert Hagg. He doesn't put the number stats-wise, but he's really solid defensively. I think he's tough to play against, he's really physical. And he kinda brings that stability back there, of being solid."

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I hope Coots isn't in to stats. If he is, he'll notice there's about a 20 point gap between the shot share when that really solid defensively, tough to play against, really physical defenseman, stable defenseman is on the ice with him compared to when anyone else is.

Interesting going through the 3 game sample, Provorov has spent half of his 5v5 ice time with Coots. That explains the off the charts numbers so far. They are pushing the 75% threshold in the early going. Not sustainable, but that trio has been a wagon.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I hope Coots isn't in to stats. If he is, he'll notice there's about a 20 point gap between the shot share when that really solid defensively, tough to play against, really physical defenseman, stable defenseman is on the ice with him compared to when anyone else is.

Interesting going through the 3 game sample, Provorov has spent half of his 5v5 ice time with Coots. That explains the off the charts numbers so far. They are pushing the 75% threshold in the early going. Not sustainable, but that trio has been a wagon.
I think I read somewhere Coots is likes math and is really into stats. :laugh:

Edit.

"1. STRAIGHT-A STUDENT
"Sometimes people think hockey players aren't smart, but I made mostly straight A's. School was just easy for me. I barely studied. I don't know where it came from. My dad didn't finish high school and my mother was a hair dresser. Math was my favorite subject. I've always liked numbers. Later, when I'm done playing hockey, I want to work with numbers, work with stats. When I was in school, I took some online entrepreneur classes on it."

Sean Couturier the Einstein of Flyers? Here are 5 things you didn't know about him

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I'm willing to bet he's just talking up a teammate who gets bashed. I imagine the room pays attention to social media, HF boards etc, and knows he gets shit on a lot. Not to say he's not deserving on criticism, but to Couts he's a teammate, not just numbers.

I think he's doing the same for Sanheim when he says the things he does. He should have a bigger role on the team than he does.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think I read somewhere Coots is likes math and is really into stats. :laugh:

Edit.

"1. STRAIGHT-A STUDENT
"Sometimes people think hockey players aren't smart, but I made mostly straight A's. School was just easy for me. I barely studied. I don't know where it came from. My dad didn't finish high school and my mother was a hair dresser. Math was my favorite subject. I've always liked numbers. Later, when I'm done playing hockey, I want to work with numbers, work with stats. When I was in school, I took some online entrepreneur classes on it."

Sean Couturier the Einstein of Flyers? Here are 5 things you didn't know about him

Couturier is highly intelligent. You can see it in the way he speaks. You can definitely see it in the way he plays. His academic background is unsurprising. He’ll be an NHL GM one day.

Ready for half the board to turn on him now, though, because he complimented Hagg.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Couturier is highly intelligent. You can see it in the way he speaks. You can definitely see it in the way he plays. His academic background is unsurprising. He’ll be an NHL GM one day.

Ready for half the board to turn on him now, though, because he complimented Hagg.
Wouldn't put too much stock on what players say about each other.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Wouldn't put too much stock on what players say about each other.

I agree, but he did volunteer it. He wasn’t asked about Hagg specifically.

Many people here are so obsessed with their Hagg hatred that they can’t give him any credit for anything, even his work on the OT PK last game. Obviously some people, like previous coaches & management, new coaches & management, & Couturier, appreciate some of the things he does. But, I know, a few percentage points of CORSI!! means everything. I call for a boycott of Couturier for having the audacity to compliment Robert Hagg about anything.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts' comment suggests simply that players see other players differently than fans do.
I'm sure he's aware of Hagg's weaknesses (he is a stat guy), but also expressed appreciation for Hagg's size and toughness.

"Robert Hagg. He doesn't put the number stats-wise, but he's really solid defensively. I think he's tough to play against, he's really physical. And he kinda brings that stability back there, of being solid."

So personnel decisions that enrage some here may be accepted or even applauded by teammates.
Since the comment was unsolicited, and to people not in the local media, it's less likely that Couts was merely fluffing.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'm willing to bet he's just talking up a teammate who gets bashed. I imagine the room pays attention to social media, HF boards etc, and knows he gets **** on a lot. Not to say he's not deserving on criticism, but to Couts he's a teammate, not just numbers.

I think he's doing the same for Sanheim when he says the things he does. He should have a bigger role on the team than he does.

Well we know for certainly that Jake Voracek pays attention to HF boards ;).

Reactions: VladDrag

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Many people here are so obsessed with their Hagg hatred that they can’t give him any credit for anything, even his work on the OT PK last game. Obviously some people, like previous coaches & management, new coaches & management, & Couturier, appreciate some of the things he does. But, I know, a few percentage points of CORSI!! means everything. I call for a boycott of Couturier for having the audacity to compliment Robert Hagg about anything.

Robert Hagg is bad. I'm not sure how you don't see it. Flubbing outlet passes is bad especially ones where there isn't any pressure.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

Obviously he can make some things well, he is professional hockey player, it should be a given. BUT it's simply not enough, for every good play he makes he makes too many bad playes and even his fine playes usually mean puck ends up at opponents stick. Aaand after that somebody else has to work their ass off to compensate for that.

Let's say Hagg is fine defesively for heck of it. But that's all he does. Flyers don't have the puck when he is on the ice so they are going to lose that much up regardless. And as we have seen Hägg drags down 4 other players who could do something positive in that time.

All in all, one mistake or one good play really doesn't matter. What matters is what he (or anyone else for that matter) has done after 82 games. And if you are just a little negative every night, that's going to add up to much more.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Couts' comment suggests simply that players see other players differently than fans do.
I'm sure he's aware of Hagg's weaknesses (he is a stat guy), but also expressed appreciation for Hagg's size and toughness.

"Robert Hagg. He doesn't put the number stats-wise, but he's really solid defensively. I think he's tough to play against, he's really physical. And he kinda brings that stability back there, of being solid."

So personnel decisions that enrage some here may be accepted or even applauded by teammates.
Since the comment was unsolicited, and to people not in the local media, it's less likely that Couts was merely fluffing.

All of this is true. Unfortunately, players aren't reliable evaluators of talent and never will be. To be clear, I'm not saying player opinions should be ignored.

What they can do is help point the front office towards areas where there may be advantages to be gained. That feedback is incredibly valuable. Sometimes there will be evidence of effect, sometimes not. It's the org's job to use that information responsibly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->