Sean Couturier Part IV (2019-20 Selke Trophy Winner)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
KNseHN8.gif

the one with the zoom is the all time best, Whoever did that is a beast.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Absolutely a top 5 thread for this board! Congrats to all of you!

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Lo, I have ventured forth across the wastelands that are the main boards. In my quest I sought to see what those in foreign lands think on this topic.

To mine great surprise I did see that the prophet TJ has visited these lands in advance of my arrival. And yea, though his sermon was delivered from on high to those who dwell there, I did not find adoring disciples. In fact, this screed was tacked onto a wall as a rebuttal to TJ from a man who bore the name of a former Bruin turned Shark and his pet fowl.

I return to share this message with you. Bear witness!

I’m not a psychologist, but I think I have a theory as to why you are so angry about this result.

You’re probably the most invested person in the Selke discussion on planet earth. I truly think that you care more about this award than Patrice Bergeron or Sean Couturier do.

You’ve followed the Selke discussion for years, and while you’ve never felt like the process behind Selke voting was perfect and had your disagreements with the voters, you’ve still felt like the sheer volume of total votes managed to drown out a few idiot voters and make the Selke a solid proxy for the best defensive forward. Therefore, you’ve always felt comfortable using Bergeron’s incredible track record of Selke wins and top-3 placements in years he didn’t win to make the argument that he is one of the greatest two-way forwards of all time.

This year, the process behind the Selke voting was especially bad. You paid more attention to the narratives than anybody else, and it became clear to you that the narrative was that Couturier was the guy. You did your research, watched your film, and couldn’t find any way to possibly reconcile why this narrative had come to be. Couturier’s defensive statistics had declined, your eye test led you to conclude he was less effective than in prior years, and even many Flyers fans acknowledged he had declined. It made zero sense that he was the guy.

You made attempts to engage with fans around the league and particularly Flyers fans - perhaps in good faith, perhaps not - to determine why this narrative had formed. At the very least, you felt that even if you couldn’t come to an agreement with anybody, or that the only arguments put in front of you would be cherry picked and weak, you would at least see some kind of explanation as to why Couturier was going to win this year’s Selke. But you couldn’t even find this. You found that very few people even seemed to care, and those who did engage with you most frequently brought up that Couturier shut down Malkin in 2012; something that is completely irrelevant to the criteria that this award is supposed to be based on. The narrative that Couturier deserved the 2020 Selke was absurd. He clearly didn’t.

Now, you’ve seen the narrative come to fruition: Sean Couturier has won the 2019-2020 Frank J. Selke Trophy. Once again, you are desperately asking people to provide you with evidence that Couturier actually deserved the award this year, to at least see what the process might have been behind a result that you find so difficult to reconcile, and you are being provided with absolutely nothing. Why? Because there is no process! There never has been one. This is an award that nobody seriously pays attention to or cares about, and voters spend very little time determining a narrative before they go ahead and run with it.

Why does this bother you so much? Because not only does it invalidate this year’s Selke Trophy; it invalidates every Selke Trophy argument that Patrice Bergeron has ever won. In your eyes, if somebody as undeserving as Sean Couturier in 2019-2020 can win the award, the award clearly never meant all that much to begin with.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Lo, I have ventured forth across the wastelands that are the main boards. In my quest I sought to see what those in foreign lands think on this topic.

To mine great surprise I did see that the prophet TJ has visited these lands in advance of my arrival. And yea, though his sermon was delivered from on high to those who dwell there, I did not find adoring disciples. In fact, this screed was tacked onto a wall as a rebuttal to TJ from a man who bore the name of a former Bruin turned Shark and his pet fowl.

tenor.gif

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
"Couturier completely shut down Malkin in the playoffs in 2012"

My favorite quote from authentic fans

Reactions: Adtar02

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Great post.

Great quoted post.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

1WiSjDgEV_PvOo8fvPZcBxpi4sCNLOm8RRFC2NAfLPBMdNIsOz76rEw-GKQW_knnbwBJBv9r9UGKgtmDXruFkw

Reactions: Adtar02 and pit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad