Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
The maths says that had the scoring climate been the same as last year:

Giroux: 102pts = 94-95pts

Couturier: 76pts = 70-71pts

That's still pretty good. I would've expected less, such that 102 pts --> 89-90.

But you can see the logarithm I was talking about: 102 - 95 = 7 pts whereas 76 - 71 = 5 pts. It's not large or extreme, but the scoring inflation had a larger impact on top scorers than it did lesser scorers.

I'm actually a little shocked that the numbers for Giroux are in the 94-95 range. I expected the curve to be sharper; not 7-8 pts but 11-12.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Don't be upset the cup is the goal and certain stars wont get it done for the flyers. If ghost,v,g show up we beat the pens but they didn't again. Lets see what happens this year.
This just shows how important secondary scoring, better goaltending and COMPETENT COACHING is when the top players can't continually carry the team.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Don't be upset the cup is the goal and certain stars wont get it done for the flyers. If ghost,v,g show up we beat the pens but they didn't again. Lets see what happens this year.

Did you watch game 6? Please I would like your take on what happened that game.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Did you watch game 6? Please I would like your take on what happened that game.
What Coots,Laughton,Simmonds had good games but pens didn't go full out either in any game. The caps series they brought it and with a bounce here or there they move on again. Flyers don't bring out the best in anyone anymore.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
This just shows how important secondary scoring, better goaltending and COMPETENT COACHING is when the top players can't continually carry the team.
That's the problem though. Top players on everyteam score during the year but its when it gets tough in the playoffs some die out. G and v with the best 3rd and 4th line still wont do anything against Crosby line and if its the botton lines carrying the team we don't need them. caps bottom lines scored big goals but the top lines beat everyone and the played the same d pairs and forward lines every game.

Last edited:

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
That's the problem though. Top players on everyteam score during the year but its when it gets tough in the playoffs some die out. G and v with the best 3rd and 4th line still wont do anything against Crosby line and if its the botton lines carrying the team we don't need them. caps bottom lines scored big goals but the top lines beat everyone and the played the same d pairs and forward lines every game.
The top players definitely didn't have an ascending type series, but more concerning was the Flip matchup vs Crosby. If it wasn't so stupefying, the fact that both coaches wanted it would be funny :banghead:

Another huge concern was not going back to G, V and K. Especially when we needed to generate offence. It's not like Pens have a smothering, top D.

Even if you don't criticize the initial move of K to the third line (which I do.."If it ain't broke, don't fix it..") why would you stick with it?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bubble playoff team loses to the defending Cup winners because the stars of a top heavy team didn't show up? What a laugh...

The Penguins would've outgunned the Flyers even if the stars lit up the scoreboard.
Agreed. And I guess we should also ignore that we gave up:

7, 5, 5, 8 goals against in our 4 losses.

We could not get any saves.

Reactions: wankstifier

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It was not a great series for anyone but Couturier... (and Laughton and Provorov were pretty good)

but Giroux and Voracek both put up over 50% corsi... Giroux's PDO (which is pretty much proven as pure luck outside the ~99-101 range) was 82.29... the lowest of any of the 1723 players this decade who played more than 75 minutes in a single playoff campaign.

Giroux had luck like he dribbled a black cat with his feet under a set of ladders while smashing mirrors.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Bubble playoff team loses to the defending Cup winners because the stars of a top heavy team didn't show up? What a laugh...

The Penguins would've outgunned the Flyers even if the stars lit up the scoreboard.
That's ok but it top we're f***in horrible. If they played well and didn't score that's different.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Agreed. And I guess we should also ignore that we gave up:

7, 5, 5, 8 goals against in our 4 losses.

We could not get any saves.
Terrible team d. Goalies were left it to dry all series. 21 consecutive shifts giving up odd man rushes. Never heard of.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
He played through an MCL tear by the way. I'm assuming you don't know that because your post wouldn't make any sense otherwise. :teach:

I tore my ACL which is worse than tearing the MCL. Did it in March, played through softball season with it and continued to spar in karate tournaments. I wore a brace but when I threw this one kick I did suffer what is called a pivot shift (it's where the knee dislocated but pops right back in. I had reconstructive surgery in October and suffered no further damage by waiting to have the surgery.

Is there a risk of further damage, certainly but it's not like his knee was degrading every time he skated on the torn MCL. You are trying to make others feel stupid implying they don't know how serious the injury was and how severe the potential for further harm was and that's just not true. In fact my doctor told me that although I had a complete tear of the ACL there was no cartilage damage and that most people in my scenario wait years to have the surgery until the pain becomes more that they can bear but by then they HAVE done further damage. He told me that it was very unlikely that I'd done further damage to the knee if I waited 6 months to have the surgery.

That's a real life experience right there, not making ASSUMPTIONS about something that I really have no experience or expertise in.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Where did you see that stat? First I heard it.
Just watching the games again. The team doesn't pay attention to detail at all. Forwards don't sell it to block shots like the top team who win either. They just skate up and down the ice with little passion and jvr doesn't help that out lol.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Flyers expected 5v5 GA in the play-offs was:

9/16th amongst teams in the play-offs.

Flyers expected overall GA in the play-offs was:

7/16th amongst teams in the play-offs.

They were nothing special defensively, but not bad.

The biggest problem:

5v5 sv%: 0.848 (16th/16)
Overall sv%: 0.848 (16th/16)

The goalies gave them zero chance.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers expected 5v5 GA in the play-offs was:

9/16th amongst teams in the play-offs.

Flyers expected overall GA in the play-offs was:

7/16th amongst teams in the play-offs.

They were nothing special defensively, but not bad.

The biggest problem:

5v5 sv%: 0.848 (16th/16)
Overall sv%: 0.848 (16th/16)

The goalies gave them zero chance.

Experienced veterans were limited to Couts, Ghost, Voracek, Simmonds and Raffl and of course everyone's favorites, Filppula, Lehtera, Read and MacDonald,

People disregard Pittsburgh's depth AND experience, they had 3 solid lines coming off two SC campaigns.
And their "young" players were 23 years old (Maata, Guentzel, Murray), Rust (25), Oleksiak (25), Sheary (25), Dumoulin (26), Sheahan (26).
It was a similar story when we faced Washington two years before, a team that went to the playoffs every year with little youth:
Only Kuznetsov (23), Orlov (24) played major minutes, while Burakovsky (20) and Wilson (21) played 12 minutes a night.

Meanwhile Flyers rolled out Ghost (24), Provorov (21), Patrick (19), TK (20), Laughton (23), Sanheim (21), Lindblom (21)
Provorov, Patrick, TK, Sanheim and Lindblom had no NHL playoff experience, the others had 6 games.

Experience matters, both NHL and playoff experience. Toronto has struggled two straight years in the playoffs despite elite talent.

Combine inexperience and lack of depth with putrid goaltending, and the question is how did we take the Pens to 6 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad