Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The memories on this board are pathetically short. Feel shame. Shame shame shame shame shame.

Then again, it was ALL THE WAY 2 WEEKS AGO that Giroux put the cherry on top of an insane season where he carried this team - packed to the gills with dead-weight trash players and horrific goaltending - to the playoffs, so I guess it's my own fault for expecting that to be remembered.

Couturier had an awesome game tonight, but f***ing hell people... lets look at the big picture, shall we?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll also add that I'm trying to be very careful with my wording, because I love Couts and have been a supporter of his for a long time, but I'm just saying that the hype is now getting a little out of hand. You guys are going to set yourselves up for disappointment.

He had an awesome start to the season, but he did come back down to Earth a bit (21 goals in his first 41 games, 10 goals in his last 41 games) and it's not like the performance he just gave in game 6 is what he did all series. Getting away from the Crosby line is not insignificant, so let's not pretend he and Giroux had equal tasks tonight and only one of them did anything with it. In fact, I'd have preferred Giroux play with Laughton than either Filppula or Voracek. He's like a pooooor mans Konecny, but he does have the shot+speed combo I've been saying Giroux desperately needed (at least more so than Filppula or Voracek) all series. Voracek played bad and Filppula just is awful in general... plus their playstyles aren't an ideal match for Giroux.

So give Couts tons of praise for this year and slap an "A" on his chest once Filppula and MacDonald are tossed in the trash, but all this "C" talk is too much. Next year I'd probably expect a decent sized drop in scoring because I don't think he can match what he did this year.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
These comments like strip the C from G and put to Coots. WHAT THE ****?

Giroux is franchise player. C'mon fans...

It's just frustration. It will get better in the next couple of weeks.

I believe Coots made it clear what he is worth for this team in the play-offs but that doesn't automatically mean he needs to be given the C. We're all Flyers fans, passion is our identity. Nothing new here.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Same, I think he made a case for himself to take the C moving forward. Giroux was invisible the entire series.

I would not say invisible. He was probably the teams 2nd-3rd best forward in the series when you are objective and really analyse it.

The biggest reason the narrative of poor play pervades is this:

5v5 PDO: 82.29

On ice sv%: .735

he had some insane, insane bad luck that sometimes simply happens over a short stretch of games. Which is why at times the playoffs in every sport are a coin toss.

He has the worst PDO and on ice sv% of any player in the NHL playoffs by some margin. Both are generally proven to be pure luck.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
At this point I am really interested to know what Simmonds went through.

In the elimination game yesterday he tried everything possible his body gave him. I don't want to imagine how bad he's hurt.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I would not say invisible. He was probably the teams 2nd-3rd best forward in the series when you are objective and really analyse it.

The biggest reason the narrative of poor play pervades is this:

5v5 PDO: 82.29

On ice sv%: .735

he had some insane, insane bad luck that sometimes simply happens over a short stretch of games. Which is why at times the playoffs in every sport are a coin toss.

He has the worst PDO and on ice sv% of any player in the NHL playoffs by some margin. Both are generally proven to be pure luck.

I see what you’re saying but Giroux was terrible 6gp 1-2 for 3 points and a -10.
Embarrassing series for him as a whole.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I’m almost positive Giroux has some of the best advances stats of anyone on the team. Calling him invisible screams scoreboard watching.

If people want to bitch about captaincy, then bitch about people like Filppula and Andy getting A’s over Couts. That’s the real crime.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If youre calling for Giroux, 2 weeks removed from finishing off a 102 point season with a 7 goal final week to drag the team into the playoffs, to have the C removed, you should be hit in the forehead with a tack hammer.

pooch

May 30, 2017
I was one of those who thought Couturier was only a great 3C but he showed me a lot this season. He's better than I gave him credit for which is great. Great series and season from him.

Reactions: Rebels57

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
These comments like strip the C from G and put to Coots. WHAT THE ****?

Giroux is franchise player. C'mon fans...

i never said strip the C from Giroux. i said Couts should be the captain. that doesn't mean i think it'll happen. obviously stripping the C from Giroux would be a slap in the face to him, especially after the season he just had.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i never said strip the C from Giroux. i said Couts should be the captain. that doesn't mean i think it'll happen. obviously stripping the C from Giroux would be a slap in the face to him, especially after the season he just had.

Is he Captain-worthy? Probably

Should he be Captain? Absolutely not because we already have a great one.

Should he have been given an A last summer over f***ing Filppula? Without a doubt.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Is he Captain-worthy? Probably

Should he be Captain? Absolutely not because we already have a great one.

Should he have been given an A last summer over ****ing Filppula? Without a doubt.

i think a captain should be a player who can lead by example. Couts did that this series, G didn't. if we were in a situation moving forward where we didn't already have one, i'd give it to Couts before Giroux.

but obviously, with Giroux already being captain, it makes it difficult to do any switch without pissing him off and disrespecting him. maybe in a few years when he becomes a supporting player something may happen, but i'm fine with Giroux having the C for now.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
i think a captain should be a player who can lead by example. Couts did that this series, G didn't. if we were in a situation moving forward where we didn't already have one, i'd give it to Couts before Giroux.

but obviously, with Giroux already being captain, it makes it difficult to do any switch without pissing him off and disrespecting him. maybe in a few years when he becomes a supporting player something may happen, but i'm fine with Giroux having the C for now.
And G dragged this team to playoffs. 19 points in last 10 must win games. This talk is bullshit. Coots should probably be the next C but only after G no longer is Flyer.

Last edited:

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Provorov or Couts will be our captain after G. On 90%. But not now. G is our captain!

Reactions: JPS

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
And we're not even in the Giroux thread!

All in all I was really happy with Couts. I always liked him ever since we drafted him in 2011. Glad to see him finally blossom and put up fantastic numbers this year. Hopefully he gets healthy in the offseason and does it again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad