Sean Bowen interviews Dad Joe Bowen for the first time. The players code.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
On this weeks Leaf Matters show Sean interviews his dad Joe Bowen for the first time. We talk about the line brawl, players code Maple Leaf Square and we also ask Joe about the Down Goes Brown call for Sean.

Itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/leaf-matters/id577173646?mt=2

Mp3
http://podalmighty.com/?album=leaf-matters

mza_4438851857771139050.255x255-75.jpg

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Good point for discussion, Joe Bowen asks if Scott would have went after Crosby in the manner he went after Kessel would have the reaction been different? would people have freaked out?

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
I don't know I think Joe has a point, I think there would have been major backlash and the pressure on the league, debates about rule changes. I realize the Buffalo coach was fined but the out cry would have been way more severe

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Were you the guy that made the video bashing Steve Dangle and all of them?

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I respect that you provide HFboard readers with optional coverage. I never understood the true backlash you got for that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think we should have one thread where they can post all their articles and people can talk about them. We don't need 1 for each article. Other then that, I have no issue

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
We don't post all our articles we have 12 guys I think now but I can understand your point especially during the summer where it seemed like threads would last for ever on the front page. As for the backlash we are the new guys, who grew quickly. So it happens we are 3 years old now and as you have seen we are not going anywhere.

Sons of Leafs fans and the fathers of Leafs fans

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
Wall of text:

I'm going to to criticize you guys but it's only because I'm a huge Joe Bowen fan and so I want his son and his friends to succeed. I have no real expertise, but I've been reading these boards and been an internet person for a long time and I may have a perspective that could help.

I think people are sometimes hostile to your guys articles simply because they can be. The way I understand it you're paying something to HF in order to link to your blog. People's lives are flooded with advertising, you present an opportunity to say F you where the advertiser will actually read it. It's not directly related to your content, it's just that, in a way, you're "the man" and so we have to stick it to you.

I assume you guys are also inspired to a degree by guys like DGB and the Barilkosphere who started as bloggers and made careers out of it. I think people might be offended a little bit because when they started out they really didn't seem like they were "trying" to make it. They were just doing the same thing as the rest of us; spewing the love/hate/frustration/happiness of being hardcore Leafs fans into the void that is the internet. "We" pushed them to success because we loved their stuff, you're paying to try to get the same effect.

But you should stay with it. I don't know whether you feel like you're inexperienced, but you are. That's good because it means there's lots of room for improvement. I think there's a huge market for "homer" media covering the Leafs. It's a cliche but the internet has democratized reporting. The established writers are trying to adjust to this but they still have their perverted, "I'm a reporter, I actually talk to the players so I somehow know more about the game despite not playing it" attitude. You guys offer what I, and I assume most fans, want in reporting: "x happened, how does this affect me as Leafs fan?"

tl,dr;
The quality of your content doesn't match your exposure, keep working on it and people will love it.

Last edited:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I think we should have one thread where they can post all their articles and people can talk about them. We don't need 1 for each article. Other then that, I have no issue

I'm sorry this makes your life so hard. It must be terrible. This board is flooded with new threads as it is, making it so hard to skim through topics. :sarcasm:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
From listening to oldschool players like Brad May, Wendel, and Rob Ray, it's more respect for your fellow combatant than anything. Treat others in the field of battle how you would want to be treated.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Wall of text:

I'm going to to criticize you guys but it's only because I'm a huge Joe Bowen fan and so I want his son and his friends to succeed. I have no real expertise, but I've been reading these boards and been an internet person for a long time and I may have a perspective that could help.

I think people are sometimes hostile to your guys articles simply because they can be. The way I understand it you're paying something to HF in order to link to your blog. People's lives are flooded with advertising, you present an opportunity to say F you where the advertiser will actually read it. It's not directly related to your content, it's just that, in a way, you're "the man" and so we have to stick it to you.

I assume you guys are also inspired to a degree by guys like DGB and the Barilkosphere who started as bloggers and made careers out of it. I think people might be offended a little bit because when they started out they really didn't seem like they were "trying" to make it. They were just doing the same thing as the rest of us; spewing the love/hate/frustration/happiness of being hardcore Leafs fans into the void that is the internet. "We" pushed them to success because we loved their stuff, you're paying to try to get the same effect.

But you should stay with it. I don't know whether you feel like you're inexperienced, but you are. That's good because it means there's lots of room for improvement. I think there's a huge market for "homer" media covering the Leafs. It's a cliche but the internet has democratized reporting. The established writers are trying to adjust to this but they still have their perverted, "I'm a reporter, I actually talk to the players so I somehow know more about the game despite not playing it" attitude. You guys offer what I, and I assume most fans, want in reporting: "x happened, how does this affect me as Leafs fan?"

tl,dr;
The quality of your content doesn't match your exposure, keep working on it and people will love it.

Thank you for your input. No we do not pay HF to put our stuff up here we promote the boards to our readers and listeners in exchange for the ability to post here. It is not pay per post but something much simpler which is intended to drive traffic here and help provide content it also benifits us because we get more readers.
I did not start the site with hopes of being DGB or anyone eles I own a bar, a film / podcast studio and have little desire to monitize my site.. This is proved by the fact that there is not one add anywhere on the site and all expenses are paid out of pocket. I think we are probably one of the only sites that has never had an add on it. The writers make nothing and are part of the site because they like to write or they hope to become journalist one day and this is a great way to cut their teeth reporting on something they love. Sorry to disappoint but the whole money making thing holds no water.

The site was started because the Leafs really sucked a few years back and we were getting waffled. My dad got a brain tumour and I just had my second son. I was pissed that my dad might die and I would not have the chance to sit with him and my boys and watch a playoff game. A tradition we should all experience. I had had enough and started www.wewantacup.com as a blog page. I never mentioned my father but the site took off and slowly some writers came on board and we grew. Nothing terrible nothing underhanded just a couple fans standing up. I'm writing from my phone please excuse the extra crappy grammar I guess you can see why I need writers :) again thank you very much we will keep at it.

Here is one of my first blogs so you get a feel of what we were about http://wewantacup.com/word-from-we-want-a-cup/7-the-leafs-and-my-ex-girlfriend

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Just saying but for people who don't like these threads, there's an X at the end of each title for the thread, it's an ignore feature. Use it.

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
Awesome,
I have a lot more respect for what you're trying to do knowing that you're not just throwing money at it. I don't think most people necessarily realized Sean was Joe's son, I happened to stalker it up at some point after reading an article and recognizing the surname.

Sorry to hear about your old man. A few years ago I was living with my grandparents while my grandfather died of Alzheimers. That kind of thing is always a rough scene.

Also I hope you understand I'm not railing on your quality when I say it's beneath your exposure. It's not at all that I think your articles are bad. It's just I think you guys have done a really good job marketing the website.

Like I said, I'm just offering my perspective because I think I kind of understand what you're trying to do and I'm rooting for you.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Thanks man .. We value your opinion it's a refreshing change from the norm. My dad made it though surgery and he and my two boys watched the Leafs vs Bruins together creating a life moment for us all. That's what the Leafs are about.

Thanks again sorry for your loss

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
Thank you for your input. No we do not pay HF to put our stuff up here we promote the boards to our readers and listeners in exchange for the ability to post here. It is not pay per post but something much simpler which is intended to drive traffic here and help provide content it also benifits us because we get more readers.
I did not start the site with hopes of being DGB or anyone eles I own a bar, a film / podcast studio and have little desire to monitize my site.. This is proved by the fact that there is not one add anywhere on the site and all expenses are paid out of pocket. I think we are probably one of the only sites that has never had an add on it. The writers make nothing and are part of the site because they like to write or they hope to become journalist one day and this is a great way to cut their teeth reporting on something they love. Sorry to disappoint but the whole money making thing holds no water.

The site was started because the Leafs really sucked a few years back and we were getting waffled. My dad got a brain tumour and I just had my second son. I was pissed that my dad might die and I would not have the chance to sit with him and my boys and watch a playoff game. A tradition we should all experience. I had had enough and started www.wewantacup.com as a blog page. I never mentioned my father but the site took off and slowly some writers came on board and we grew. Nothing terrible nothing underhanded just a couple fans standing up. I'm writing from my phone please excuse the extra crappy grammar I guess you can see why I need writers :) again thank you very much we will keep at it.

Here is one of my first blogs so you get a feel of what we were about http://wewantacup.com/word-from-we-want-a-cup/7-the-leafs-and-my-ex-girlfriend

wow, I used to ignore your threads and refuse to click on your articles altogether because I remember I read one of your posts and thought it was amateur hour. Like others have said, I thought you were a paid advertiser and I didn't like how it felt - especially during off season. After reading this thread and everything you've said in here, I'll be supporting you from now on. My bad! You should include this info in your signature.. "How did WeWantACup.com Start?" and then link to an explanation.

El Timbo Libre

Jan 19, 2013
Thanks

wow, I used to ignore your threads and refuse to click on your articles altogether because I remember I read one of your posts and thought it was amateur hour. Like others have said, I thought you were a paid advertiser and I didn't like how it felt - especially during off season. After reading this thread and everything you've said in here, I'll be supporting you from now on. My bad! You should include this info in your signature.. "How did WeWantACup.com Start?" and then link to an explanation.

In my short time with this site, I have learned that people don't get much more passionate, patient, and professional than Matteo. Our site may not be everyone's cup of tea, but we will be here, hearts on our sleeves, constantly trying to improve, and hopefully matching the dedication and heart of our site's founder and champion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad