Sean Avery at it again

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Crime is the act of breaking the law. A violation is a category of crime. A misdemeanor is a category of crime. A felony is a category of crime. Not all crimes are violations, but all violations are crimes.

The driver committed a violation and Avery committed a misdemeanor. They are not the same, but they are both technically crimes.

Or are you trying to pretend that crime is a category of crime, like that makes any sort of sense?
Nope. Crime is not the act of breaking the law. Crime is the act of breaking certain laws.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think Avery said that the driver had initially hit him while Avery was jogging.

Yeah, he did claim that. But it's Avery, so I struggle to take him at his word. But my doubts don't prove that the driver didn't do something that set him off. That doesn't excuse Avery for being Avery, it just suggests that the driver is also an idiot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, he did claim that. But it's Avery, so I struggle to take him at his word. But my doubts don't prove that the driver didn't do something that set him off. That doesn't excuse Avery for being Avery, it just suggests that the driver is also an idiot.
Oh it doesn’t excuse him at all, he’s a piece of shit.

But for the poster who assumed the driver is a pedophile or whatever...something probably happened right before the vid.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Nope. Crime is not the act of breaking the law. Crime is the act of breaking certain laws.

Merriam Webster disagrees with you. By definition, a crime is the act of breaking the law. Pretending that breaking the law isn't a crime makes me think you're either a criminal or a defense attorney.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Merriam Webster disagrees with you. By definition, a crime is the act of breaking the law. Pretending that breaking the law isn't a crime makes me think you're either a criminal or a defense attorney.
Breaking the parking code does don’t make someone a criminal. It makes them a violator of a parking code. Your Google search does not equal my law degree. Violations are not crimes. That’s why they’re called violations rather than crimes.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Breaking the parking code does don’t make someone a criminal. It makes them a violator of a parking code. Your Google search does not equal my law degree. Violations are not crimes. That’s why they’re called violations rather than crimes.

No, it doesn't make them a criminal. But it still means they broke the law (aka committed a crime). Otherwise, they wouldn't be getting fined by the government for their behavior.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
No, it doesn't make them a criminal. But it still means they broke the law (aka committed a crime). Otherwise, they wouldn't be getting fined by the government for their behavior.
Breaking the law is not the same as committing a crime. A crime is a classification of breaking the the law but is not all inclusive.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

that would be a bit of a circular thinking I think, calling something a crime make it a criminal act of breaking that law, the conversation is, does speeding or talking on the cellphone while driving a crime or not, in American law speaking term it is not:

Cell Phone Ticket California - Vehicle Code 23123 & 23123.5 VC.

7. Is it a crime if I talk on my cell phone or text while driving in California?

It is not a crime if a motorist violates VC 23123 or VC 23123.5.
These violations are infractions under California law and an offender is not subject to incarceration.

I do not think that distinction is universal are in the English language, it is something specific to a legal system.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
that would be a bit of a circular thinking I think, calling something a crime make it a criminal act of breaking that law, the conversation is, does speeding or talking on the cellphone while driving a crime or not, in American law speaking term it is not:

Cell Phone Ticket California - Vehicle Code 23123 & 23123.5 VC.

7. Is it a crime if I talk on my cell phone or text while driving in California?

It is not a crime if a motorist violates VC 23123 or VC 23123.5.
These violations are infractions under California law and an offender is not subject to incarceration.

I do not think that distinction is universal are in the English language, it is something specific to a legal system.

Exactly. In common language, a crime is breaking the law in any manner. Just because the legal system using a different definition, doesn't mean that breaking the law and committing a crime are different things to those of us who don't lie for a living.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Exactly. In common language, a crime is breaking the law in any manner. Just because the legal system using a different definition, doesn't mean that breaking the law and committing a crime are different things to those of us who don't lie for a living.
The legal definition is the only one that applies. Go to court and cite Miriam Webster; you will lose.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This has turned into a very rediculous thread.

In Canada, traffic violations are absolutely considered crimes although on the lowest scale of crime.

In the states... it's pretty semantics at best. Some say it's a crime
What Is an Infraction?.

Felonies, Misdemeanors, and Infractions: Classifying Crimes

Others don't
Infractions - FindLaw

The state that occurs in doesn't consider infractions crimes.

However that being said, it's embarrassing to read people being so bent up by such a petty matter of definition

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The legal definition is the only one that applies. Go to court and cite Miriam Webster; you will lose.

I didn't realize that HF is now court, and everyone had to use the most strict legal definition of words. But, with that in mind, what's the most strict and legally acceptable way to call someone a pedantic ass?

Reactions: Just Linda

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It is definitely possible.

I could see Logan Paul or Jake Paul doing this sort of stunt, and Sean Avery is in their category.

I actually know someone quite well that their cousin works in a publicist firm(or whatever you call it haha) and she said people would be shocked at the false crap publicists come up with to get their clients to be talked about by the public... again, im not saying that's what happened here with Avery but for some reason I instantly thought it was fake when watching the clip

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I actually know someone quite well that their cousin works in a publicist firm(or whatever you call it haha) and she said people would be shocked at the false crap publicists come up with to get their clients to be talked about by the public.
Of course.

Bad publicity is still publicity. To people like the Paul brothers, Avery, and others like them, the most important thing is "staying relevant". Even if it is accomplished through lame acts.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I’m completely shocked that the guy who acted like an unhinged maniac his entire NHL career is still acting like an unhinged maniac.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As much as I hate Avery, the guy recording it has obviously done something by his video that isn't in it.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
That poster argues just for the sake of arguing. They would argue water isn’t wet and even if Jesus Christ himself rose from the ashes and told him he was wrong he would still argue.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
As much as I hate Avery, the guy recording it has obviously done something by his video that isn't in it.
While I’d agree he’s done something (at least to my understanding he’s done something, unless someone wants to clarify what something means in like a pseudo-legal sense..?), he hasn’t necessarily done anything wrong, or even remotely inappropriate for that matter. Given the perp’s history and mannerisms in this video he’s obviously a creep/weirdo and as we know it doesn’t take any wrongdoing to give these types of lowlifes a ‘reason’ to harass somebody.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Of course.

Bad publicity is still publicity. To people like the Paul brothers, Avery, and others like them, the most important thing is "staying relevant". Even if it is accomplished through lame acts.

What has Avery to sell though?
Genuinely curious. Does he have a reality show? a business?

I liked Avery when he played in New York but I turned extremely sour on him when he pulled that disgusting stunt with the homeless person. So today he can go f*** himself in my mind.
That being said, this whole incident looks real weird. Why would I film a guy randomly jogging behind me if something didn't happen before?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->