Seabrook or Colaiacovo

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Colaiacovo is more talented, as for the NHL... I'm saying Carlo Colaiacovo.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Tough question because Seabrook is younger and hasn't even gotten a chance to play in the AHL yet. You can't answer who will be better yet.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Kirk Pedersen said:
Tough question because Seabrook is younger and hasn't even gotten a chance to play in the AHL yet. You can't answer who will be better yet.

I'll agree with Kirk here. I like Seabrook a lot, and say for the sake of a fantasy hockey league trade, I'd rather Seabrook, but they are close, and it's unfair to compare them until Seabrook plays in the AHL.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I don't think either player will be anything more than a bit player in the NHL. 4th D at best. Both are over rated by their "supporters".

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
As a Hawks fan i'm pickin Seabrook. Call that whatever you want. To me Seabrook looks like an Aucoin clone.

I actually think Colaiacovo is one of the more overrated prospects around.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I really like Seabrook's game. He isn't on the same level as the Phaneufs or Suters of the prospect world, but he should have a very good career. He isn't the same type of defencman as Colo, at least thats the impression I've got. He seems to be more defensive minded adding offense. Colo seems to be more offensive minded adding in some defence. Colo is hard to get a read on from scouting reports because he is a Leafs prospect and that brings on bias both ways (lovers and haters). After seeing him play quite a few times in the past two seasons he is improving. He will also have a good career, but I think his at times suspect defence and physical play will be his weakness. I don't see flaws in Seabrook's game that will limit him, so I would take Seabrook.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Colaiacovo.

He's proved he can play in the AHL and has done very well. He has potential of a 1-2 D-Man but realistically will play 3-4. Incredibally smart, and very offensive minded. His defense is very underrated. I dont know why people say he's overrated, because he's not. He is good and everyone knows it. Period. The comparision is unfair to Seabrook, noone knows how he will do in the AHL. Maybe Colaiacovo is overrated because he's a Leaf. :shakehead

Mooch

Nov 6, 2003
NC/Toronto/Florida
MaDdY said:
Colaiacovo.

He's proved he can play in the AHL and has done very well. He has potential of a 1-2 D-Man but realistically will play 3-4. Incredibally smart, and very offensive minded. His defense is very underrated. I dont know why people say he's overrated, because he's not. He is good and everyone knows it. Period. The comparision is unfair to Seabrook, noone knows how he will do in the AHL. Maybe Colaiacovo is overrated because he's a Leaf. :shakehead

Nope, its probably because people have a opinion. ;)

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Who is Colaiacovo overrated by other then perhaps Leaf fans. He sure as **** is not overrated by anyone who is not a Leaf fan. So the opinion of Leaf fans combines to be greater then the general population of non leafs fans, therefore Colaiacovo ends up overrated. Ok, seems reasonable enough.

Colaiacovo has all the tools to be a fine top 3 defenceman in the NHL one day.. His defence has improved, not that it was ever as bad as some may have liked to claim. From the games I've seen him play prior to his injury this year, he has played a responsible two way game, and has shown he is willing to mix it up physically at times, playing a in your face type of game. Call him overrated if you will, all the overrated claims in the world wont stop him from becoming a top 6 NHL defenceman whenever the NHL starts up. The only thing that worries me about Colaiacovo is his possible suspect durability. However, if he can stay healthy he will be servng up some crow. yeeehhhaaaaaawwwwww.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Senator Stanley said:
I really like Seabrook's game. He isn't on the same level as the Phaneufs or Suters of the prospect world, but he should have a very good career. He isn't the same type of defencman as Colo, at least thats the impression I've got. He seems to be more defensive minded adding offense. Colo seems to be more offensive minded adding in some defence. Colo is hard to get a read on from scouting reports because he is a Leafs prospect and that brings on bias both ways (lovers and haters). After seeing him play quite a few times in the past two seasons he is improving. He will also have a good career, but I think his at times suspect defence and physical play will be his weakness. I don't see flaws in Seabrook's game that will limit him, so I would take Seabrook.

Pretty good analysis. Seabrook is a defensive dman. These guys are underrated. (Like Aucoin). For fantasy purposes Carlo hands down. He WILL outscore Seabrook at the next level. Carlo is one of those guys the puck follows around. Long term, no team would be disappointed to have Seabrook. Pair Carlo with an aggressive guy and you have a potential All-Star in my mind. Seabrook on the other hand will be lucky to make a blip on the radar as far as offense is concerned. What makes me say that? The NHL is a step UP. A guy who struggles to impact at the minor level won't in the pros. 30 goal scorers become checkers in the NHL.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
borro said:
Seabrook on the other hand will be lucky to make a blip on the radar as far as offense is concerned. What makes me say that? The NHL is a step UP. A guy who struggles to impact at the minor level won't in the pros. 30 goal scorers become checkers in the NHL.

Where are you gettin this from?

Seabrook has more points this year than he did last year in 10 less games. Often he's the 1st, 2nd or 3rd star of the game. I don't think he struggles to put up offence at all.

I think he'll be good for 35 points on a consistent basis once he hits 24.

bruins4777*

I like babchuk the most....
but personally i don't like carlo much, i can't spell his freaking name and i feel he is going to be the paul coffey of this generation. I think he's going to score a load for a dman and then suck defensively...yes i've heard the reports about him are that he's "improving defensively" and he may vary well be, but i dunno i guess i just have a weird feeling, plus i just don't like him....
i'd take at least 10 or more dmen over carlo.
For me i just feel seabrook is safer, i love his attitude and how he battles through injuries, so i guess if i wanted to take a risk i'd go with carlo, but everytime i'd take seabrook for his attitude.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Tough call, but I really like Seabrook. I think he's got more to offer to the pro level then people think. His offensive game seems to be really raw and is starting to round into form, as he gains more confidence in it.

Chris2004

Dec 22, 2004
Toronto
Brock said:
Tough call, but I really like Seabrook. I think he's got more to offer to the pro level then people think. His offensive game seems to be really raw and is starting to round into form, as he gains more confidence in it.

I agree, I think Seabrook is going to be a great NHL dman. However, I think Carlo will has more offensive skill. Carlo reminds me a lot of Niedermyer ( I know hes like 22, but potential is there). Plus he is getting thicker by the day. I personally think that Carlo is more talented.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
bruins4777 said:
but personally i don't like carlo much, i can't spell his freaking name and i feel he is going to be the paul coffey of this generation. I think he's going to score a load for a dman and then suck defensively...yes i've heard the reports about him are that he's "improving defensively" and he may vary well be, but i dunno i guess i just have a weird feeling, plus i just don't like him....
For me i just feel seabrook is safer, i love his attitude and how he battles through injuries, so i guess if i wanted to take a risk i'd go with carlo, but everytime i'd take seabrook for his attitude.

Interesting insights........... :dunce:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
bruins4777 said:

colaiacovo has an excellent attitude. and most of the people will take him because he is a sure thing...he's performed well at the AHL level. For Seabrook, mind you that i like him, but HE would be the risk because of not performing in the AHL. Colaiacovo is an offensive-defenseman...and he's good at it. But he has significantly improved his defense. Before his (ear injury) he was a force, and was shutting down everyone...
I have nothing against both players. To me, both are gifted players...but at this point, Colaiacovo the choice.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Wally112pac said:
Where are you gettin this from?

Seabrook has more points this year than he did last year in 10 less games. Often he's the 1st, 2nd or 3rd star of the game. I don't think he struggles to put up offence at all.

I think he'll be good for 35 points on a consistent basis once he hits 24.

Why I'm getting it from you...

Wally112pac05-31-2004, 10:02 PM
He could turn into another Adrian Aucoin with more of a nasty side.

Aucoin is a noted defensive dman.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I'd much rather prefer Seabrook. He can do everything even if he is more of a risky pick.

I wouldn't say I'm biased but I am putting out there the fact that we share the same birth-date on 1985/4/30 and we're both from Richmond.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
It seems as though maybe he does have more offensive upside than I thought. This year at Lethbridge he has:

GP 51 G 9 A 33 PTS 42. He is +16 6'3 215. He is also an 85 birthyear. Maybe 42 compares to 20 points at an NHL level. Comparing to Cola....

Cola 17th selection
Seabrook 13th

Cola 6'1 188 83 birthyear.

In 35 games for AHL he has...

3 G 15A 18 PTS -1 at St Johns in the AHL.

18 points at AHL is more significant than 42 for Juniors IMHO. Given Carlo's got 2 years on him, I'm going to change my mind and say Seabrook at this point. Let me add, this is a very close comparison. I think either choice is legit. Babchuck is GP 40 G4 A 11 PTS15 +- -10 55PIM's at Norfolk in the AHL this year. Had 22 pts and +9 last year. Not sure what's up this year. Looks like his points will go up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->