Trade: [SEA/TOR] Teoscar Hernandez traded to Seattle For RHP Erik Swanson and LHP Adam Macko

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I am very ready to not like this deal. Surprise me
Toronto announcers would say he is the strongest on the team. His power to right center field is off the charts. Defense was a little suspect though. I'm a big Guriel jr fan, so I am interested to see what they got in return. Seattle has one of the best bullpens in the league.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Toronto announcers would say he is the strongest on the team. His power to right center field is off the charts. Defense was a little suspect though. I'm a big Guriel jr fan, so I am interested to see what they got in return. Seattle has one of the best bullpens in the league.
Our outfield defense in general has to be improved this winter. It was exposed bad in the wild card round as Teo and Gurriel are both flat out bad and Springer is competent in CF. More so worried we aren't going to get good value back for him.

Reactions: torontoblood

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Our outfield defense in general has to be improved this winter. It was exposed bad in the wild card round as Teo and Gurriel are both flat out bad and Springer is competent in CF. More so worried we aren't going to get good value back for him.
The Seattle Bullpen throws fire. Give me a piece of that.

A little bit underwhelmed

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’ll be in the minority but I don’t mind it from a Jays point of view. They have had their core together for a couple seasons now and haven’t done anything so it is time to make a change. Plus Hernandez is one year away from being a free agent. Swanson has three years of team control.

Jays now have a bullpen with Romano, Garcia, Swanson, Cimber, Bass and maybe Pearson?

The trade saves the Jays money and I think that finding a power bat is easier to sign in free agency to replace Hernandez than it is to sign a reliever like Swanson.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
SEA's OF is filled with meh and question marks aside from Julio. Who the hell knows what Kelenic, Kyle Lewis and Winker are at this point.

This makes more sense if they get Nimmo, who would be a strong fit for sure.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If we add Nimmo or trade a catcher for a young CF then I like the trade. Not gonna freak out about it this early into the off season but obviously needs to be work done on the OF.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I believe Hernandez was set to become a free-agent next winter, and the Jays obviously weren't prepared to give him a Springer-esque contract extension

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Teoscar isn't worth what people think he is. Don't get me wrong, great bat but he's a crappy defender which means you're hurting yourself by not playing him at DH. Toronto's outfield desperately needs help out there since him and Gurriel are a tire fire defensively.

I don't hate the move since a) Swanson has been a solid reliever and b) i guarantee Shatkins probably has an idea of who they want to replace him otherwise this move doesn't happen.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I know there's more moves to come and the Jays did need RP help but think they prob could have gotten a better return. Teo is a flawed player. Insane power and when he's locked in he can go on a real run, but he's inconsistent/streaky as hell, and while it's improved somewhat over the years he has terrible plate discipline. Good pitchers know how to get him out because he's so impatient and impulsive at the plate.

Good arm but an overall a pretty big liability in the field and he has bad baseball IQ. Makes brain dead plays in the field and on the bases.

I'm fine moving away from him but Jays definitely gotta do some re-tooling this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00