Sea of Thieves

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Do I need Gold for the Gamepass? I'd like to try out SoT, but I don't have Gold and I'm not interested in getting Gold just to spend $10 more to play SoT.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You do not need gold for gamepass. gold is just for online play. SoT is an online game but I am pretty sure Xbox has made exceptions before for some games that are online only where you don't need gold. Honestly can't remember but know it's happened before.

Just checked and I see for PC you don't need gold to play it but I am not sure about Xbox.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Ran into two galleons fighting over the skull fort last night. My buddy and I decided to recklessly ram our sloop into one of them and board them. We ended up overwhelmed but helped sink it.

When we respawned we found our ship beached on the skull fort, so we proceeded to annoy the other crew trying to take on the fort by continually shelling them with our cannons until the game decided we were jerks and randomly de-spawned our ship. :laugh:

I will say somebody needs to teach me the trick to one-shotting people with the blunderbuss because I had it happen to me multiple times but it usually took far longer for me to take anyone down.
We kept harassing a Galleon the other night. They eventually left the skull fort (we sank what seemed like 50 times and "only" sank them 3 times) and the last time we went back they were nowhere to be found and the captain was spawned. We rushed him, killed him and got ALL the skull fort loot. Pretty amazing. All the Galleon had to do was put up one more fight and they probably would have got the about 16k.

It took us a good 2-2.5 hours of just pure harassment (ram ship, shoot cannons, jump off sloop and shoot other guys until you die, get a new ship - repeat) but man that was SO worth it!

I've got a decent strategy now for harassing Galleons at skull forts now. If you are lucky, they get very sick of fighting you and skeletons and they just stop trying. If you are VERY lucky, they are good enough to get close to the end / finish a skull fort and you can clean up.

As far as the blunderbuss 1-shot kills I do this all the time. You have to be pretty much point-blank or very close to it and you have to be ADS (Aiming Down Sights). I found if you are not ADS, even point-blank you wont kill the opponent. At least I never have.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As far as the blunderbuss 1-shot kills I do this all the time. You have to be pretty much point-blank or very close to it and you have to be ADS (Aiming Down Sights). I found if you are not ADS, even point-blank you wont kill the opponent. At least I never have.

Hmm sounds like I'm not doing anything wrong, as that's pretty much what I assumed.

Might've been a bit of luck and/or lag involved then.

I will say running a pistol and a blunderbuss rather than a sword/gun setup seems to be pretty effective in PvP....although if you're stuck reloading and they charge you with the blade, you are in trouble.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Hmm sounds like I'm not doing anything wrong, as that's pretty much what I assumed.

Might've been a bit of luck and/or lag involved then.

I will say running a pistol and a blunderbuss rather than a sword/gun setup seems to be pretty effective in PvP....although if you're stuck reloading and they charge you with the blade, you are in trouble.
Yeah I have had terrible luck running with two guns lol. I always get cut up. So I always carry a sword now. Just dodge shots if I am too far away to blunderbuss and hope I can get in close.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah I have had terrible luck running with two guns lol. I always get cut up. So I always carry a sword now. Just dodge shots if I am too far away to blunderbuss and hope I can get in close.

I've had decent luck with it. If I can get both shots off reasonably, the enemy usually goes down. It is pretty satisfying when you get into a pistol duel, the other person charges you with a sword, and you unload a blunderbuss in their face at point blank. :laugh:

Of course, as you mentioned, if that doesn't work you are in trouble...unless you have legendary bunny hopping skills.

It's also a very effective setup when exploring shipwrecks. Works well against sharks.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I've had decent luck with it. If I can get both shots off reasonably, the enemy usually goes down. It is pretty satisfying when you get into a pistol duel, the other person charges you with a sword, and you unload a blunderbuss in their face at point blank. :laugh:

Of course, as you mentioned, if that doesn't work you are in trouble...unless you have legendary bunny hopping skills.

It's also a very effective setup when exploring shipwrecks. Works well against sharks.
Its an interesting strategy. I am sure switching weapons is faster than reloading too right? (Like in most FPS games). I may have to try that one and run with a pistol and a blunderbuss for a while and try to get used to that.

Haha! "Legendary bunny hopping skills." I hate those people!

Sharks are fun to kill :) So satisfying.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
This game is such garbage. Can't believe XBox is pushing this one so hard. Feels like an indie game that is still stuck in beta, so shallow and nothing other than sailing feels good to do. Fights with the skeletons are so janky.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This game is such garbage. Can't believe XBox is pushing this one so hard. Feels like an indie game that is still stuck in beta, so shallow and nothing other than sailing feels good to do. Fights with the skeletons are so janky.
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but... As someone who has close to 70 hours with the game I disagree that it feels like an indie game. Having lots of fun almost every night playing with friends. I don't think the game is supposed to be some sort of deep, epic game. It's just fun!

I think people are hating on it because they expected/wanted something else than what the game is. It's very unique and definitely not for everyone but what I have noticed is older gamers are enjoying it a lot more than the twitchy "I NEED INSTANT GRATIFICATION!" teenagers. No facts, just my observance.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but... As someone who has close to 70 hours with the game I disagree that it feels like an indie game. Having lots of fun almost every night playing with friends. I don't think the game is supposed to be some sort of deep, epic game. It's just fun!

I think people are hating on it because they expected/wanted something else than what the game is. It's very unique and definitely not for everyone but what I have noticed is older gamers are enjoying it a lot more than the twitchy "I NEED INSTANT GRATIFICATION!" teenagers. No facts, just my observance.

I enjoyed it during the 2 week trial, but by then the game had just about run it's course. There just isn't any variety, you do the same missions over and over again, you kill the same skeletons and visit the same uninteresting locations.

The core gameplay is excellent but I don't know how they managed to spend 4 years on this without creating any content.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

I dunno, I kind of agree with the indie feel - although I'd consider it a compliment. :laugh:

I find it's an extremely fun sandbox to play around in with friends, although I don't think there's enough there in terms of quest/story for a good solo experience. Maybe it's just me, but when I play solo I get bored...

I can't comment on the demographics of the game....but hey! Who are you calling old? :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I enjoyed it during the 2 week trial, but by then the game had just about run it's course. There just isn't any variety, you do the same missions over and over again, you kill the same skeletons and visit the same uninteresting locations.

The core gameplay is excellent but I don't know how they managed to spend 4 years on this without creating any content.
I honestly don't think Rare is that big or has a ton of resources which may be why it took 4 years. What really keeps me going with the game is just the different things that happen every time I play. Just yesterday I was in a sloop with a buddy and we kept harassing these guys who were at a skull fort (with the skull cloud above it). After making them waste a bunch of cannons and wood planks we sat and waited for them to finish it. Once they did we gave chase and they loaded up and set sail. And then...
BOOM! Kraken got them! We were just pelting them with cannon balls from afar while the Kraken took them out. They were crying so loud and we got away with a bunch of loot. It was hilarious and thrilling and full of excitement and times where we thought all was lost. The whole thing took about 2 hours but that sense of gratification after was so great.

I dunno, I kind of agree with the indie feel - although I'd consider it a compliment. :laugh:

I find it's an extremely fun sandbox to play around in with friends, although I don't think there's enough there in terms of quest/story for a good solo experience. Maybe it's just me, but when I play solo I get bored...

I can't comment on the demographics of the game....but hey! Who are you calling old? :laugh:
I agree solo can get boring. When I play solo I can spend a few hours doing some voyages and end up with the same amount of money I can earn in under an hour with a friend. Just how time consuming everything is. I can't play solo for very long but it's still fun (to me).

Haha! Just what I have noticed. I am an "older" gamer for sure and this game is not constant excitement. Very high highs with some long lows. I don't know, now that the game has been out for a while I am just glad tons of people still play it and the ones I have met and became friends with are all older than teenagers. I mean I have played with dudes that literally don't help run the ship but are right there where we are ready to turn in chests. Usually lock them in the brig at that point lol.

Reactions: Beau Knows

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
I really wish that I had more time to play it than I have been able to so far.

Pretty much the only game that I've played recently has been Rocket League strictly because of the limited time required for a game lets me play some in between other things.

Sadly I expect to be getting busier in the next week than I have been recently, hopefully I can find some time to play this again. I've enjoyed both solo and grouping up with other people (for the most part playing with other people tends to be a lot more fun). The upcoming updates that they teased look like they could add quite a bit to the game too which is nice. I hope that they keep adding stuff for a while, the game could definitely still use some more fleshing out.

Reactions: Lancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->