Sea of Thieves

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
No Man's Sea.

Rare must have learned a lot from Hello Games.

Have you played SoT yet? Or just trying to be the funny guy?

To be fair, I think if Sea of Thieves lacked a true multiplayer component like No Man's Sky does, the comparison would be pretty close....minus the overwhelming hype I suppose.

It's a game based on exploration with not much content to explore and not a lot of true goals. Very barebones right now.

However, the multiplayer aspect is what makes it fun and why I am enjoying it. I don't think I'd have much fun playing solo. If No Man' Sky launched with a true multiplayer feature, I think it would've been a lot more fun and had a much warmer reception.

Also, it's free/cheap with game pass, so there's an option of not having to pay the (frankly too expensive) buy-in price. :nod:

Just having a blast. I can see it getting old after a while but just really enjoying the ride right now and don't think I will be bored of it anytime soon.

I agree. Having a ton of fun.

Went full pirate last night and hunted down other ships for treasure to some success. Even caught one guy who had a captain's chest and a shiny keg. Conveniently, he also had a barrel of gunpowder sitting on his deck that ate a cannonball. :laugh:

You sort of feel like a dick, but at the same time you're a pirate so.....:laugh:

I also spent about 20 minutes attempting to get the angle on the cannon just right to launch myself onto the ship on the rocks above Galleon's Grave....cuz reasons.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The sheer randomness of the game and how you make each adventure your own is what is doing it for me.

Plus the little things like you can put a snake to sleep and "charm" it if you play a song next to it. Using the bucket to catch your barf when drunk and you can throw it on other players hahah. Just the little details like that.

I am level 25 gold hoarders now and the loot is getting good and more dangerous. I mean getting 6 chests on an island is just asking to be attacked. Especially if part of the voyage is a word clue that takes you all over a very large island and the clues aren't the easiest to decipher.

I have started hitting outposts every time I need to change islands lol. Just because I might need to spend so much time on the next island I don't wan to risk losing my stuff.

Solo isn't as good I agree but I don't have a terrible time at all biding my time till some friends can play going solo. I sank a Galleon TWICE yesterday from my Sloop. The dumbasses (all 4 of them) left the ship to go get treasure on a really big island. I sailed up, boarded... stole a bunch of supplies, couldn't find any gold so I sank them. They must have left some guys on the island and two others went and got a new ship to go get the guys and their loot. So I went on my way, came back and there they were again. I sank them AGAIN. This time all 4 were in the water and they hit me once. I patched the hole and took off. No way I could kill all 4 and get some loot but jeeze. I think a big problem with people is they don't take the time to learn the game and strategies. That's why I don't think reviews after a few days for a game like this should be any indication of how good the game is. Regardless, I am enjoying with a bunch of friends.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Another thing this game has going for it is an unfortunate lack of pirate/age of sail themed video games. I love the era.

They nailed the water physics for the most part (aside from being flung across the world when you are inside a sinking ship). The water and lighting is gorgeous.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Another thing this game has going for it is an unfortunate lack of pirate/age of sail themed video games. I love the era.

They nailed the water physics for the most part (aside from being flung across the world when you are inside a sinking ship). The water and lighting is gorgeous.
Yeah and I think that's something that doesn't get talked about enough too! Well said! Its a beautiful game and the cartoony-ness of it plays very well with how you would expect to feel when sailing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I wish they made more pirate games and I'm surprised they haven't over the years. Just from watching videos and streams, the water is so good I think they should sell it to other companies for any game that has water.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The developers of No Mans Sky literally lied about things that weren't in the game, including being able to see people and the center of the universe has an end goal, both were lies. The only similarities is that they both lacked content at launch.

This game is a pirate game but it's missing a lot of pirate themed things. Where's the parrots, monkeys, gambling/mini games, treasure chests where you actually can open and receive loot at that point, where's the wildlife/sealife, etc.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Have you played SoT yet? Or just trying to be the funny guy?

Got well over 20 hours into the game and found a person I play with regularly (well as regularly as 3 nights in a row can be lol) and its been epic every time. Each time we play its different. Sometimes we get into huge battles, other times were just cruising and collection tons of loot on voyages. I have never played a game where you join up with some randoms and have adventures like this and its so different every time.

Just having a blast. I can see it getting old after a while but just really enjoying the ride right now and don't think I will be bored of it anytime soon.

It's an online open-world game.

There is no content at release. It will be coming later in DLC and updates and patches.

I am happy this game exists. I love pirate stuff (Monkey Island is one of my first exposure to video games seeing my brother play it in glorious black and purple) but this is another No Man's Sky: an amazing concept with no nothing to chew on until the team gets feedback and acts on it.

It's the unfortunate truth of these types of games: building these is an insane amount of work and the publisher needs some kind of RoI so they release in this state.

Glad you like it but, at this time, this absolutely is No Man's Sea.

And like No Man's Sky, I am convinced that in a year it will be fleshed out and much improved.

I just wish there was a compelling reason to play solo... Imagine this game with actual progression, thought-out sidequests and more than one enemy type?

Last edited:

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I love the idea but an MMO with no character progression isnt really playable. playing it for free currently but buying this for $60 is crazy to me

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
As someone who loves progression and a sense of being rewarded for playing, not every game needs it. I'm fine with this game not having it (and most likely never will) but when you don't have something like it, you need a lot of content to keep people busy and playing which it doesn't and it's the biggest problem right now.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As someone who loves progression and a sense of being rewarded for playing, not every game needs it. I'm fine with this game not having it (and most likely never will) but when you don't have something like it, you need a lot of content to keep people busy and playing which it doesn't and it's the biggest problem right now.

Yeah, they wanted to make this a long term game, so they have a lot of (free) content planned for the next 5+ years, but that creates the problem of, why would anyone buy your game at full price when they can get it discounted in a year with far more content?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It's an online open-world game.

There is no content at release. It will be coming later in DLC and updates and patches.

I am happy this game exists. I love pirate stuff (Monkey Island is one of my first exposure to video games seeing my brother play it in glorious black and purple) but this is another No Man's Sky: an amazing concept with no nothing to chew on until the team gets feedback and acts on it.

It's the unfortunate truth of these types of games: building these is an insane amount of work and the publisher needs some kind of RoI so they release in this state.

Glad you like it but, at this time, this absolutely is No Man's Sea.

And like No Man's Sky, I am convinced that in a year it will be fleshed out and much improved.

I just wish there was a compelling reason to play solo... Imagine this game with actual progression, thought-out sidequests and more than one enemy type?
I have no problem that you have your own opinion. But you are saying it like its fact or something. I have met at least 10 new friends I have added to my friends list in this game and we are having a lot of fun. I understand it not being as great solo. I also understand a lot of the decisions they made with the game. If you had a newb going around with a weaker ship and weapons and maybe alone - they would get destroyed so easily. The game would just become a greif-fest.

Instead they went the 'everyone is the same' and its all about strategy. I like it. Its a fresh take. I didn't want a COD game on the high seas. Its a game that will last as long as its community. Right now, that community is huge and people are having a lot of fun with it. No Mans Sky was and still is basically a tech demo. There is no online, no REAL content at all. At least SoT does have some content. And I really liked NMS, I put well over 100 hours into that game. I don't see the similarities outside of everyone overhyping it.

That's why I don't spoil myself for games. I never read forums with people actively playing the game or revealing how the game works and spoilers or watch similar early videos...etc. For games I know I will like all I will do is watch trailers and maybe discuss the game with friends (or on a forum). Maybe that's why I am enjoying it so much. I wasn't super hyped up about it and didn't scour the web for any and all info I could find about it, so a lot of the game was a surprise to me. I don't like my views being tainted by other people / pre-release impressions. So I went into the game with no pre-conceived notions of what I was getting into.

I think your comparison to NMS is way off in every facet except for the hype machine and people getting their expectations too high.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
To be honest, I absolutely love the lack of a character progression system in a game like this with an open PvP system. Putting everyone on an even footing works very well.

That said, without a character progression system to keep you invested, you really need a way to progress in the game in other ways - storyline, dungeons, areas to explore that aren't empty, etc. Without those things, I'm afraid this game will fizzle out. Cosmetics alone won't hold interest for very long.

In the meantime, though, I'm loving it.

Also, 20GB patch yesterday threw an error with zero indication in the Xbox app, which meant I had to manually go to the store and reset it after wondering why my download was taking so long.

Again, Microsoft, I love that you gave us Xbox games and the Play Anywhere and the Game Pass stuff on PC and will gladly give you money for it, but your app really needs some TLC. Like even just some simple quality of life improvements. Please?

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I like the game, but the decision to go cross platform with PC is awful. Console players are at such a huge disadvantage that you don't even stand a chance pvp.

Not sure there is enough to keep me interested for more than a week or two.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I like the game, but the decision to go cross platform with PC is awful. Console players are at such a huge disadvantage that you don't even stand a chance pvp.

Is it that bad in this game?

I play PC, so I haven't had too much experience with the differences. I can see the mouse/keyboard being a bit of an advantage for aiming with the ranged weapons, but I didn't figure it would be too bad in a game like this as opposed to an actual FPS.

I love the cross play because I can play with my friends on Xbox.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
To be honest, I absolutely love the lack of a character progression system in a game like this with an open PvP system. Putting everyone on an even footing works very well.

That said, without a character progression system to keep you invested, you really need a way to progress in the game in other ways - storyline, dungeons, areas to explore that aren't empty, etc. Without those things, I'm afraid this game will fizzle out. Cosmetics alone won't hold interest for very long.

I'm with you here. Unlocking anything other new outfits or non-pvp related items (new quest related tools, instruments, etc) just feels cheap. Games have become more about how much you play instead of how well you play.

Progression systems are often just a shallow way to try to get players to keep playing and dumping more money into micro-transactions so they don't fall behind. It doesn't make the actual gameplay anymore interesting, instead it makes it multiplayer battles unfair and uninteresting. Knowing that you can lose or win any battle no matter how much the opponents have played is exciting. New players can get off lucky shots, a stealthy explosive barrel or we could just crash into an island while busy fighting. Every encounter is potentially dangerous, but also potentially winnable.

I don't want to defeat opponents because I grinded for 10 hours to get a +1 boost to some statistic and they didn't. I want to win because we outmaneuvered their ship, tricked them, or were more accurate with our cannons or guns.

The game is in desperate need of more content. It needs some kind of story, varied quests and more enemies. I would especially love to see NPC ships - merchant ships and navy ships that were usually best to avoid would be interesting. More side activities would be great, fishing and hunting (whales, sharks) seem like obvious additions.

I would also like to see more dangers at sea, the kraken and storms are a decent start. Whirlpools, fires, navy ships and icy regions where you can get stuck and have to dig yourself out would add some extra danger. Right now there is about a 0% that your ship will sink unless other players attack you, long voyages where you are carrying lots of treasure should feel more dangerous.

The other thing that the game could use is safe areas. They would provide more opportunity for player interaction. If crews were able to meet up at a tavern they could trade items, play games and most importantly join up for a raid. Most of the raids I have encountered have devolved into an endless pvp battle, the betrayal should generally happen at the end imo, when the treasure is being loaded. If crews could talk at the tavern and agree to team up them tougher raids could be added since more cooperation is likely. Everyone attacks on sight at the raid in this game, since everyone else attacks on sight, so raids rarely become a cooperative affair in my experience because of this.

Last edited:

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Is it that bad in this game?

I play PC, so I haven't had too much experience with the differences. I can see the mouse/keyboard being a bit of an advantage for aiming with the ranged weapons, but I didn't figure it would be too bad in a game like this as opposed to an actual FPS.

I love the cross play because I can play with my friends on Xbox.
It's a pretty big disadvantage, especially up close. PC players can turn and aim so much faster you barely stand a chance. Normally this doesn't matter too much, but if you have people boarding or are trying to board someone else, you are at a pretty big disadvantage.

I see the reasoning behind it, but it ruins it for me. Not even close to a level playing field. If they had the option of xbox only servers it would be one thing, but pc can just run amok over console.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's a pretty big disadvantage, especially up close. PC players can turn and aim so much faster you barely stand a chance. Normally this doesn't matter too much, but if you have people boarding or are trying to board someone else, you are at a pretty big disadvantage.

I see the reasoning behind it, but it ruins it for me. Not even close to a level playing field. If they had the option of xbox only servers it would be one thing, but pc can just run amok over console.

I've been playing on PC, but with a controller and I've done pretty well. It's obviously a disadvantage, but I haven't found it to be that big of one so far.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I've been playing on PC, but with a controller and I've done pretty well. It's obviously a disadvantage, but I haven't found it to be that big of one so far.

I didn't have too big an issue until my crew ran into a Galleon full of pc players. They were spawn killing us over and over until we finally talked to them and actually teamed up with them for awhile. If there was some console auto aim it might help a bit.

They just need xbox only servets afaic.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

I'm playing on PC. You guys locked at 30fps or ?

Anyway....game is cool at first with 3 friends all with a mic. Had quite come fun last night looking for treasures and destroying other ships. Hell we even encountered the kraken completely out of the blue and we got our ass kicked as it was complete panic and chaos on the deck. Was funny and we had a goot time even if we got smashed

That said i can see the game getting stale and repetitive pretty quick. I am currently on the 14 days trial and not sure i will buy the game after that. Unless they add a shitload of content the 2 weeks will be it for me and my group. We like it but wouldn't pay 80$ for it because we see how it could get monotone pretty quick. Many reviews mention that too and i tend to agree with them. It's fun on the short term but questionable long term.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I'm playing on PC. You guys locked at 30fps or ?

Anyway....game is cool at first with 3 friends all with a mic. Had quite come fun last night looking for treasures and destroying other ships. Hell we even encountered the kraken completely out of the blue and we got our ass kicked as it was complete panic and chaos on the deck. Was funny and we had a goot time even if we got smashed

That said i can see the game getting stale and repetitive pretty quick. I am currently on the 14 days trial and not sure i will buy the game after that. Unless they add a ****load of content the 2 weeks will be it for me and my group. We like it but wouldn't pay 80$ for it because we see how it could get monotone pretty quick. Many reviews mention that too and i tend to agree with them. It's fun on the short term but questionable long term.
I don't think it's locked, game plays very smoothly on my Xbox s.

I'd be interested to see how many people buy it after the trial, I am leaning towards no right now, I just can't see it holding my attention for too long and $80 is a bit steep.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so I hid behind the captains room of an enemy galleon while they did a fort, they hid everything in the captains room and played music as they sailed back to the Outpost

meanwhile I dropped all the best bits of loot off the back of the ship while my sloop mate came from behind and collected it up

made around 8k gold :D

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
so I hid behind the captains room of an enemy galleon while they did a fort, they hid everything in the captains room and played music as they sailed back to the Outpost

meanwhile I dropped all the best bits of loot off the back of the ship while my sloop mate came from behind and collected it up

made around 8k gold :D
That's epic. I can't imagine how pissed they were when they realized

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Played for the first time yesterday, was real fun. Half the fun comes with the chat on discord but it was great all around. Run out of cannonballs quickly though

One fight we sneaked up on guys who just anchored to get on an island and one of my friends jumped aboard their ship with a barrel of gunpowder, took it to the bottom deck of their Galleon and blew it up killing himself, 2 of them and sunk their ship

Also how do you get away from the Kracken?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Ran into two galleons fighting over the skull fort last night. My buddy and I decided to recklessly ram our sloop into one of them and board them. We ended up overwhelmed but helped sink it.

When we respawned we found our ship beached on the skull fort, so we proceeded to annoy the other crew trying to take on the fort by continually shelling them with our cannons until the game decided we were jerks and randomly de-spawned our ship. :laugh:

I will say somebody needs to teach me the trick to one-shotting people with the blunderbuss because I had it happen to me multiple times but it usually took far longer for me to take anyone down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad